Soulsborne Thread #8 (ELDENNNNNNNNNNNNNN RINGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG)

Who the hell is Godefroy? :rofl: 

He’s in an Evergaol in Altus, so I’m assuming that he is a prisoner of Lyndell… but why is he almost identical to Godrick, grafts and all? Why does his name feel like it’s from a meme making fun of the names in Elden Ring? Why did they repeat a shardbearer boss fight as side content?

3 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

Who the hell is Godefroy? :rofl: 

He’s in an Evergaol in Altus, so I’m assuming that he is a prisoner of Lyndell… but why is he almost identical to Godrick, grafts and all? Why does his name feel like it’s from a meme making fun of the names in Elden Ring? Why did they repeat a shardbearer boss fight as side content?

There's actually a bit of lore on him XD I honestly thought they were making fun of themselves and George. 

It's lazy, but he actually has a few new moves (mainly different timings) and he completely lacks Godrick's second phase, so at least that's unique to him.

If I remember;  Dragon Knight Kristoff imprisoned him in the Gaol for "unspeakable crimes", and every record of him was ripped apart and thrown into a fire. Apparently what he did was so horrible, Kristoff earned a "Erd-tree" burial just for capturing him, which is the highest honor a knight can achieve. 

Apparently it was at "The First Siege of Lydell", which is the event in which Godrick's army attempted to attack the capital, and then was subsequently annihilated by Morgott's army. So I presume Godefroy was a lieutenant of Godrick/a relative of his and did the same grafting process.  

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

So I presume Godefroy was a lieutenant of Godrick/a relative of his and did the same grafting process.  

Are you sure it’s not the other way around? I don’t get the impression that Godrick has been in power or in his current grafted state for a super long time.

Humans in Limgrave still consider him an upstart bumpkin, and his clash with Rot Lady was apparently pre-grafting. 

But considering Godefroy was already just as grafted as Godrick before being imprisoned, it seems like he might actually be the elder/more advanced of the two. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

Are you sure it’s not the other way around? I don’t get the impression that Godrick has been in power or in his current grafted state for a super long time.

Humans in Limgrave still consider him an upstart bumpkin, and his clash with Rot Lady was apparently pre-grafting. 

But considering Godefroy was already just as grafted as Godrick before being imprisoned, it seems like he might actually be the elder/more advanced of the two. 

Maybe. Now that I think of it; "The First defense of  Leydell" could have been before the Shattering, since I bet there were alot of wars before. Maybe Godrick was inspired by Godefry who was his ancestor?  

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

Maybe. Now that I think of it; "The First defense of  Leydell" could have been before the Shattering, since I bet there were alot of wars before. Maybe Godrick was inspired by Godefry who was his ancestor?  

I think so. Even if it was during the Shattering, it could’ve still been Godefroy who came first, considering it’s seemingly been centuries or longer since the Shattering began.

I got the impression that all those major conflicts broke out around that time, but considering that the conflicts involving Radahn, Melania, and Rykard are still going on in some capacity, I assume they are later than the Lord of Stormveil’s assault on Lyndell.

We do know that Godrick is really far down the "Golden Lineage", not a proper demigod like the others. Do we know he was even alive during the shattering? Most of his lore seems to be modern or recent.

4 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

Even if it was during the Shattering, it could’ve still been Godefroy who came first, considering it’s seemingly been centuries or longer since the Shattering began.

I got the impression that all those major conflicts broke out around that time, but considering that the conflicts involving Radahn, Melania, and Rykard are still going on in some capacity, I assume they are later than the Lord of Stormveil’s assault on Lyndell.

We do know that Godrick is really far down the "Golden Lineage", not a proper demigod like the others. Do we know he was even alive during the shattering? Most of his lore seems to be modern or recent.

Yes, however, Godrick got his ass whopped by Melania. However, I think it's said that right after securing Limgrave (I think she forced Godrick to be her vassal) she marched to Caelid were the nightmarish Battle of Aenonia happened, but that is specifcally said to be "The last major battle in the Shattering".  So Godrick seems to have been a very late player in the succession crisis. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

So Godrick seems to have been a very late player in the succession crisis. 

And we don’t really know how long that crisis lasted, do we? Like, there could have been hundreds of years between Stormveil’s failed attack on Lyndell and Melania’s conquests.

Are there any mentions of Godrick in the early days of the Shattering? I can’t recall any. The earliest I have seen is Melania stomping him, which was presumably towards the end of the major conflict since it happened during her march towards Caelid. And that was before he grafted himself to the extent he is now.

Since it seems like Godefroy (I still can’t take that name seriously XD) was fully grafted when he participated in the assault of Lyndell, which happened before Melania stomped ungrafted Godrick (possibly looong before) it seems likely that Godefroy was an earlier lord of Stormveil, and maybe Godrick’s forefather and an inspiration to him for the grafting.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

And we don’t really know how long that crisis lasted, do we? Like, there could have been hundreds of years between Stormveil’s failed attack on Lyndell and Melania’s conquests.

Are there any mentions of Godrick in the early days of the Shattering? I can’t recall any. The earliest I have seen is Melania stomping him, which was presumably towards the end of the major conflict since it happened during her march towards Caelid. And that was before he grafted himself to the extent he is now.

Since it seems like Godefroy (I still can’t take that name seriously XD) was fully grafted when he participated in the assault of Lyndell, which happened before Melania stomped ungrafted Godrick (possibly looong before) it seems likely that Godefroy was an earlier lord of Stormveil, and maybe Godrick’s forefather and an inspiration to him for the grafting.

"The soldiers who serve Godrick the Grafted are what remains of the army that fled the royal capital of the Erdtree." Closest I can find is this. And it's still pretty ambiguous, Godrick could have taken control of the remnants of his forefathers forces. 

4 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

Reminds of the first time I read Game of Thrones, I was like "Why is there so many names?!" And there's alot of random events like the Battle of such and such in the past XD

Yeah, it took me a while to wrap my head around the sheer amount of stuff in those books. Elden Ring is relatively little, and the difficulty understanding it stems more from how the lore is provided in scattered little snippets and the fact that most major players have such similar names. XD 

The Night of Black Knives definitely sounds like something that would’ve been in ASoIaF just by its name alone.

6 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

Yeah, it took me a while to wrap my head around the sheer amount of stuff in those books. Elden Ring is relatively little, and the difficulty understanding it stems more from how the lore is provided in scattered little snippets and the fact that most major players have such similar names. XD 

The Night of Black Knives definitely sounds like something that would’ve been in ASoIaF just by its name alone.

Compared to Asoif (which has multiple supplement books of just world building), but I haven't seen so much flavor lore (which often connects to the game world) in a game for a long time XD It's way more then the Dark Souls games anyway.

Like in Dark Souls it would be a random one note event that's mentioned maybe once or twice, but in Elden Ring this background event encompasses like three different sidequests, multiple NPC characters that have conflicting dialogue about it, and you even get to find the people that orchestrated it (the masterminds and the assassins). And there's more stuff like that as you go further into the game;

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

"The soldiers who serve Godrick the Grafted are what remains of the army that fled the royal capital of the Erdtree." Closest I can find is this. And it's still pretty ambiguous, Godrick could have taken control of the remnants of his forefathers forces. 

Yeah, it doesn’t say anything about Godrick himself being present. Just that the army he now commands contains remnants of the original invaders (and it’s not an entirely accurate description, as the army he has now is also said to contain lots of mercenaries to make up for Stormveil’s weakened presence). 

But then we also have it from Kenneth Haight, who is explicitly not a Tarnished (so I assume he is of a normal age and not centuries old), that he is the rightful lord of Limgrave and that Godrick, despite his divine heritage, is an upstart. So it seems like lordship of the region has not been consistent throughout all this time.

One worldbuilding thing I found really interesting was the whole Warrior Dragon Cult and the Elden Ring's version of the War with the Ancient Dragon.

As soon as I heard "there was a prehistoric Age of Stone were Dragons ruled that, during the early Age of the Erd-Tree, they warred with Marika and her children due to their fear of "foreign" fire" I begun to roll my eyes, but it impressed with the whole arc. Godywn the Golden eventually battled the Dragon-General, and after winning, instead of striking him down, spared him, and then what as far as to befriend the Dragons, and convinced his mother they were worthy allies, leading to a pact between God's and Dragons. And after that Knights and warriors of the Empire began to flock to a growing Dragon-Cult within the Capital, and then heroes of Renown began to engage in Dragon-worship. It got to the point that the Leydell Dragon Cult was so powerful that the Demigods were forced to decree that Dragon-worship did not conflict with their religion of the Erd-Tree and Marika. It's basically Gywn's worst nightmare XD

And then boom; you yourself get to Leydell and find out the army there is basically just a super hardened, hardcore Legion of stern Dragon-cultists XD It reminds me of how Rome often incorporated foreign cults in Regions that took over. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

I haven't seen so much flavor lore (which often connects to the game world) in a game for a long time XD It's way more then the Dark Souls games anyway.

Definitely. This game really makes me crave more and more of the world’s history and lore. And it very often delivers. It was confusing at first (and still often is) but the better my understanding becomes, the more exciting it gets to learn any new piece of lore.

With Dark Souls and Bloodborne, my main interest was just on the big stuff. Fire/Dark/Humanity, Old Ones, the Church, etc. But the more grounded parts of this world feel much larger in scope and really appeal to me. 

Godrick has been around since before the Shattering. He's just been kept in the Capital. Sir Kenneth Haight mentions that at the start of the Shattering, he fled the city disguised as a woman.

I do like the idea that Malenia made pre-grafted Godrick a vassal instead of killing him after he begged for mercy, after insulting her previously XD. It's really hard to hate pre-grafted Godrick, if his lore wasn't so pitiful he'd almost remind me of a loveable but incompetent villain. But then the whole grafting shebang.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, TheCzarsHussar said:

Godrick has been around since before the Shattering. He's just been kept in the Capital. Sir Kenneth Haight mentions that at the start of the Shattering, he fled the city disguised as a woman.

I do like the idea that Malenia made pre-grafted Godrick a vassal instead of killing him after he begged for mercy, after insulting her previously XD. It's really hard to hate pre-grafted Godrick, if his lore wasn't so pitiful he'd almost remind me of a loveable but incompetent villain. But then the whole grafting shebang.

Ah, maybe he was still made Lord of Stormveil much later on.  

5 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

And then boom; you yourself get to Leydell and find out the army there is basically just a super hardened, hardcore Legion of stern Dragon-cultists XD It reminds me of how Rome often incorporated foreign cults in Regions that took over. 

I like how the true Golden Order adherents are so put off by the dragon worship, because it’s so obviously wrong and blasphemous. XD 

Like when you tell Corhyn (spelling?) to teach you magics tied to that sort of magic, he is like "seriously? You know this is wrong, right? … fine".