Soulsborne Thread #8 (ELDENNNNNNNNNNNNNN RINGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG)

And at the end of the day, it’s all optional. You don’t have to play the game. :P Why would someone who bought and plays Elden Ring skip a major piece of its content? 

Her role sounds comparable to the Nameless King, who was a very balanced, fair, and learnable boss while still being the most difficult in the game. People wouldn’t like him so much if he wasn’t.

But again, I’m just speaking on principle. I hope my own experience with Malenia is different. XD 

• Haha 1

Just now, BigBossBalrog said:

That's another area I completely disagree on. The final boss took me about an hour, while the Valkyrie took me five hours of learning hit and run tactics, shes' far harder in all those areas you listed.

Oh yeah, nothing that came before that From made is harder then Malenia.

4 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

And at the end of the day, it’s all optional. You don’t have to play the game. :P Why would someone who bought and plays Elden Ring skip a major piece of its content? 

Her role sounds comparable to the Nameless King, who was a very balanced, fair, and learnable boss while still being the most difficult in the game. People wouldn’t like him so much if he wasn’t.

But again, I’m just speaking on principle. I hope my own experience with Malenia is different. XD 

Oh, no. There's another completely optional "super boss" i'd compare Nameless too more whose much less controversial and just as awesome. 

Malenia is a different beast. 

2 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

My advice, that's non spoilery, git perfect at parrying. And trust me, she cannot be cheesed by parries either.

I'm awful at Elden Ring's parries, they have such different timing to ds3's. But that'll be my strategy next time I find her with Theu, since he's a pure mage. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

Oh, no. There's another completely optional "super boss" i'd compare Nameless too more whose much less controversial and just as awesome. 

I just mean in terms of their role. Both are apparently the hardest boss in their games. Both are optional in secret areas. Both are the (seemingly) absent offspring of a major divine player in the lore, and both are important figures to the story’s backdrop but don’t actually play a part in the main story itself. 

6 minutes ago, TheCzarsHussar said:

I'm awful at Elden Ring's parries, they have such different timing to ds3's.

Same here. I still haven’t figured out where the sweet spot is, but it is clearly different than I’m accustomed to.

I was a party machine in DS1 and Bloodborne. Barely touched it in DS3 because dodge was so powerful in that game. I play Elden Ring much more like DS3 than the others. 

9 minutes ago, TheCzarsHussar said:

My advice, that's non spoilery, git perfect at parrying. And trust me, she cannot be cheesed by parries either.

What about poise break? I have a very offensive playstyle and tend to stun enemies quite a lot during fights. Same effect as a parry, but I’m much better at it. XD 

18 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

That's another area I completely disagree on. The final boss took me about an hour, while the Valkyrie took me five hours of learning hit and run tactics, shes' far harder in all those areas you listed.

I for the most part had more difficulty dodging the boss for Destined Death's attacks than I did Malenia (minus her AoE spam). Though he didn't do as much damage till the second phase, then he got a spin attack that just thrashed me in less than a second.

The second to last mandatory boss was fun and fair, at least in the first phase. Second phase was a little weird.

First phase of the last boss is certainly comparable in terms of stats. At least he does not have any bullshit AoE move. Though the fast teleporting gets close to being unfair. Second phase was actually easier.

I think my biggest issue could be alleviated if the soft cap on vigor was moved to 60. And that poise actually mattered.

Edited by Witchking of Angmar
  • Like 1

Power corrupts, absolute power... is a whole lot of fun!

1 minute ago, The Good Doctor said:

What about poise break? I have a very offensive playstyle and tend to stun enemies quite a lot during fights. Same effect as a parry, but I’m much better at it. XD 

Very easy to stagger, but she has insane hyper armor. Think Lady Maria and Friede, but with way better hyper armor.

5 minutes ago, Witchking of Angmar said:

I for the most part had more difficulty dodging the boss for Destined Death's attacks than I did Malenia (minus her AoE spam). Though he didn't do as much damage till the second phase, then he got a spin attack that just thrashed me in less than a second.

The second to last mandatory boss was fun and fair, at least in the first phase. Second phase was a little weird.

First phase of the last boss is certainly comparable in terms of stats. At least he does not have any bullshit AoE move. Though the fast teleporting gets close to being unfair. Second phase was actually easier.

I think my biggest issue could be alleviated if the soft cap on vigor was moved to 60. And that poise actually mattered.

Malekith is balanced with the fact he has very little HP, he's personally one of my favorite boss fights. 

1 minute ago, BigBossBalrog said:

Hide contents

Malekith is balanced with the fact he has very little HP, he's personally one of my favorite boss fights. 

First, it's Maliketh. You've been playing too much Warhammer 2. :P

Second, I feel any fast attack that makes the difference between having 10 and 42 vigor meaningless to be overtuned.

• Haha 2

Power corrupts, absolute power... is a whole lot of fun!

1 minute ago, Witchking of Angmar said:

Hide contents

First, it's Maliketh. You've been playing too much Warhammer 2. :P

Second, I feel any fast attack that makes the difference between having 10 and 42 vigor meaningless to be overtuned.

I never learned of it until after I killed him, but there's an item you can aquire that parries his most powerful attack

2 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

Here's a minor detail I adore; you actually need to use a torch to navigate dark dungeons (unless your a mage) XD

I like that too. The lantern is also super helpful. And it’s cool how spells will briefly light things.

Lighting in general is really good in this game. 

3 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

I like that too. The lantern is also super helpful. And it’s cool how spells will briefly light things.

Lighting in general is really good in this game. 

There's a magelight spell I use instead. But I mainly used the lantern on my melee character. 

Nighttime is also really sweet, they finally nailed World tendency 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

Nighttime is also really sweet, they finally nailed World tendency 

They definitely did a good job of it, though I couldn’t help but wish that nighttime made a bigger difference in some areas. Like the Altus Plateau, Caelid, and some of the swamp regions might benefit from being a lot creepier and more dangerous at night.

I do like the terrifying giant zombie murder bird bosses that just attack out of nowhere in certain places after dark. I’ve encountered three so far and they are not one that I have gotten tired of.

Same goes for the black knight horsemen. They’re fun to kill. 

3 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

They definitely did a good job of it, though I couldn’t help but wish that nighttime made a bigger difference in some areas. Like the Altus Plateau, Caelid, and some of the swamp regions might benefit from being a lot creepier and more dangerous at night.

I do like the terrifying giant zombie murder bird bosses that just attack out of nowhere in certain places after dark. I’ve encountered three so far and they are not one that I have gotten tired of.

Same goes for the black knight horsemen. They’re fun to kill. 

Minor spoiler 

At certain Churches, you'll be invaded by another boss at night