Soulsborne Thread #8 (ELDENNNNNNNNNNNNNN RINGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG)

2 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

Hide contents

Ranni gave Rykard some magical protection too, seemed like he was close with his siblings. Not a good person, but not evil..till the whole Snake thing

While already treading the path of blasphemy during the Shattering, he didn't seem so bad in what little we knew of him prior. Against the absolute cosmic horror that is the Greater Will, it's no surprise he sought for more power to destroy it. Sadly, what he found was worse. 

@BigBossBalrog

Imagine how better off things could have been if Mohg, literally the most evil character in From, was unable to kidnap Miquella.

The Haligtree might have not rotted, and replaced the Erdtree...but then there'd be a massive fucking backlash from the Greater Will. Malenia might have quelled her rot, and the Albinaurics would be modestly less sad.

13 minutes ago, TheCzarsHussar said:

@BigBossBalrog

Hide contents

Imagine how better off things could have been if Mohg, literally the most evil character in From, was unable to kidnap Miquella.

The Haligtree might have not rotted, and replaced the Erdtree...but then there'd be a massive fucking backlash from the Greater Will. Malenia might have quelled her rot, and the Albinaurics would be modestly less sad.

Hide your kids, hide your wives! 

I'm curious to hear everyone thoughts on the Demigods in comparsion to past Souls villians; I think they pretty much blow everyone else out of the water, in terms of lore, the amount of flavor text they have, personality, relevance to the game, and it being really cool almost all of them have dialogue 

Grant I’ve got a lot to go so my answer isn’t complete.

In terms of lore and presentation, the ones I’ve dealt with are excellent. Radahn is the toppest of tiers, but they’ve all been very cool.

In terms of the fights themselves, like mechanically, I feel this game isn’t their best work. Most bosses seem to basically just be super fast and spammy, lots of attacks are not well telegraphed and are difficult to read until the moment they hit you, and everyone is just so damn fast. Like Bloodborne except you’re more slow.

That said, it’s also not as hard (so far) because more builds seem viable in this and you have such a huge number of tools and tricks to work with.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

Grant I’ve got a lot to go so my answer isn’t complete.

In terms of lore and presentation, the ones I’ve dealt with are excellent. Radahn is the toppest of tiers, but they’ve all been very cool.

In terms of the fights themselves, like mechanically, I feel this game isn’t their best work. Most bosses seem to basically just be super fast and spammy, lots of attacks are not well telegraphed and are difficult to read until the moment they hit you, and everyone is just so damn fast. Like Bloodborne except you’re more slow.

That said, it’s also not as hard (so far) because more builds seem viable in this and you have such a huge number of tools and tricks to work with.

I agree with this, but I still think presentation wise the main bosses are the best they've done. Like did you see that Rennala fight XD Dripping cinematic and atmosphere. Same with Radahn.

Mechanically I'd still give it to Dank Souls III. But that might change with DLC. I'd probably rate the bosses overall just a little above vanilla Bloodborne, and lower then Sekiro and Dark Souls 3.

Just now, BigBossBalrog said:

Mechanically I'd still give it to Dank Souls III.

Agreed, in terms of consistent quality. I think Bloodborne reached the highest highs with Maria, Gehrman, Ludwig, and Orphan of Kos, but the rest of its roster was far weaker.

Darks Souls 3 had a lot of greats and goods, and very few that were average to bad.

I’ve heard Sekiro’s roster is great too but I wouldn’t know. XD 

Though again; I think the sheer amount of options they give you in Elden Ring must have made designing the bosses much tougher then the past games. Alongside the fact, a vast majority of the other games mechanics, like exploring and the super enhanced combat are so much better and engaging, I can accept bosses just being "Good enough". Still miles better then most of the industry. 

7 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

Most of DS3’s best bosses are DLC as well, but it still has quite a few legendary vanilla ones like the Soul of Cinder, the Pontiff, Nameless King, etc.

Plus, Rom and Micolash really drag BB down. 

Nameless is still the height for me. Such a cool fight.

Vanilla BB had Gherman and Gascoine, but those are the only ones I think are very memorable. 

• Like 1

The worst fights in this game suffer from the same problems as the worst in BB. Massive, spazzy beasts that screw with your camera and you can’t hardly tell which part of them you’re next to.

But my biggest complaint about bosses so far is that by mid game, you’ll start to notice some of them getting repeated, which is understandable considering the size of the game; but does it have to be the worst ones?? I am sick to death of Erdtree avatars and weird cat statues. XD 

But overall, the lows aren’t as bad as Bloodborne. And the best ones are still more good than bad.

I quite liked the Magma Wyrm guarding the way to Altus up north. Specifically, his second phase in particular.

The Draconic Tree Sentinel outside the capital was solid too. Hardest boss I’ve fought so far, but apart from one attack (where he just calls a lightning strike on your head), he never felt unfair and my defeats felt like they were because of my own mistakes. Turns out fighting the horseman on foot was much easier than doing it mounted. Once I realized that, it was only a matter of time. 

9 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

Though again; I think the sheer amount of options they give you in Elden Ring must have made designing the bosses much tougher then the past games. Alongside the fact, a vast majority of the other games mechanics, like exploring and the super enhanced combat are so much better and engaging, I can accept bosses just being "Good enough". Still miles better then most of the industry. 

Oh no doubt. This game is still phenomenal in what it does right. 

2 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

The worst fights in this game suffer from the same problems as the worst in BB. Massive, spazzy beasts that screw with your camera and you can’t hardly tell which part of them you’re next to.

But my biggest complaint about bosses so far is that by mid game, you’ll start to notice some of them getting repeated, which is understandable considering the size of the game; but does it have to be the worst ones?? I am sick to death of Erdtree avatars and weird cat statues. XD 

But overall, the lows aren’t as bad as Bloodborne. And the best ones are still more good than bad.

Hide contents

I quite liked the Magma Wyrm guarding the way to Altus up north. Specifically, his second phase in particular.

The Draconic Tree Sentinel outside the capital was solid too. Hardest boss I’ve fought so far, but apart from one attack (where he just calls a lightning strike on your head), he never felt unfair and my defeats felt like they were because of my own mistakes. Turns out fighting the horseman on foot was much easier than doing it mounted. Once I realized that, it was only a matter of time. 

You read the descriptions about the Wyrms right? One of my favorite depictions of Dragons cause of how faithful they are to Norse Mythology,

"It's said these land-bound dragons were once humans heroes who partook in dragon communication, a grave transgression for which they were cursed to crawl the earth upon their bellies, shadows of their former selves." 

Like the Legend of Fafnir 

• Like 1