Soulsborne Thread #8 (ELDENNNNNNNNNNNNNN RINGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG)

2 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

Good man; the only proper way to play on a first run :legate:

It's at least a reliable build. Though I've opted to not use any shield. At least for the most part. Used it when facing some annoying flyers with bows. Though I solved that later by getting a good bow myself. So from here it's just a curved greatsword and a bow.

Power corrupts, absolute power... is a whole lot of fun!

8 minutes ago, Witchking of Angmar said:

I'll probably do that for my second character. Current one will stay a Dex and Strength based warrior.

How have you you found the game so far? Have the bosses been much challenge for your build?

I’ve been running quality with a twinblade and it has honestly been somewhat easy, even with me intentionally slowing my leveling. Beating most bosses first try and didn’t die at all in the academy. But apparently there is a big difficulty spike after Liurnia so I’m expecting that to change for me soon.

Just now, The Good Doctor said:

How have you you found the game so far? Have the bosses been much challenge for your build?

I’ve been running quality with a twinblade and it has honestly been somewhat easy, even with me intentionally slowing my leveling. But apparently there is a big difficulty spike after Liurnia so I’m expecting that to change for me soon.

I've reached the Altus Plateau. But I'm currently mostly running around the old areas checking for stuff I might have missed.

Bosses vary. I decided to headbutt the first castle boss for so long I beat him. Only to later realize when I got stuck on some knights and tried exploring in a different direction that I realized I had been a bit underleveled for that area. And things got easier. Till I ran into the red rotten wastes.

Opting to not use any shield has me also play the game a bit like Bloodborne. I just miss the faster dodging and ability to get back health by hitting back fast enough.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Witchking of Angmar said:

Opting to not use any shield has me also play the game a bit like Bloodborne.

Same here. I keep a shield in case I feel like switching to Rogier’s rapier for its cool Ash of War, but I tend to just two-hand at all times. The twinblade isn’t very good one-handed and is just way more fun to use with two.

I feel like it would be way more difficult if Bloodborne hadn’t been such good practice for dodge timing.

4 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

So everyone here has completed Stormveil.

What did y’all think about the grafted scion miniboss down in the dining hall the first time you stumbled into it? XD 

I thought it was a prime example of, despite being far more overt, FROM is still a master at environmental story-telling XD

You hear about the art of grafting and Godrick's sick fucked up shit from half the NPC's in Limgrave, and when you explore the castle, you stumble on the dark Grafting room, which is filled with suspended body parts, piles of tortured corpses, and this horrible multi-armed abomination crawling around. And then you know every rumor about Godrick is true 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

Grafting room, which is filled with suspended body parts, piles of tortured corpses, and this horrible multi-armed abomination crawling around.

And not just any multi-armed abomination, but the exact same type of multi-armed abomination that kicked your ass at the beginning of the game. XD 

For me, it was a great "see how much stronger you’ve become" moment. I bumped into the Stormveil scion with half my estus gone and barely eked out a victory. It felt good to know I was now capable of killing that thing. 

5 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

And not just any multi-armed abomination, but the exact same type of multi-armed abomination that kicked your ass at the beginning of the game. XD 

For me, it was a great "see how much stronger you’ve become" moment. I bumped into the Stormveil scion with half my estus gone and barely eked out a victory. It felt good to know I was now capable of killing that thing. 

They did the same in Demon's Soul's; you fight the Vanguard at the start, where it's supposed to kill you, and then you fight a mini-boss variant later on XD But what's cool is the game rewards you for beating them, if you can pull it off right away

35 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

So everyone here has completed Stormveil.

What did y’all think about the grafted scion miniboss down in the dining hall the first time you stumbled into it? XD 

Me returning to get revenge with a big bonk weapon after getting ass slapped in the tutorial:

33 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

you stumble on the dark Grafting room, which is filled with suspended body parts, piles of tortured corpses

I never thought I'd see Celtic iconography using severed, grafted hands. I do love how the Irish presented fairies and the otherworld as fucking scary and creepy 90% of the time in mythology.

55 minutes ago, Witchking of Angmar said:

I just miss the faster dodging

If you go back to the Dragonbarrow part of Caelid, there's a Night's Cavalry boss at the smaller of the two bridges near the Beast Sanctum. If you kill him, he'll drop Bloodhound Step ash of war, which is a cheap fp upgrade to quickstep. Old hunter dodge lite.

1 hour ago, The Good Doctor said:

Looks like I'm not the only thinking of the flasks as estus all the time. :P

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Witchking of Angmar said:

Looks like I'm not the only thinking of the flasks as estus all the time. :P

I was able to make the switch from "souls" to "runes" and "bonfires" to "grace", but I don’t think I’ll be able to stop saying "estus". XD I don’t even remember what the Elden Ring equivalent is called besides "flasks".

13 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

I was able to make the switch from "souls" to "runes" and "bonfires" to "grace", but I don’t think I’ll be able to stop saying "estus". XD I don’t even remember what the Elden Ring equivalent is called besides "flasks".

I thought the addition of the custom "Make your own" Estus to be really cool XD

12 hours ago, The Good Doctor said:

I still think of the runes as souls too. Though grace and bonfire is half and half.

7 hours ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

Especially since apparently my DS3 build advice worked for him so it doesn’t sound like I’ll have that hard of a time

I’m not an expert, but it feels to me like a wider variety of builds are more viable and balanced in this game than in previous ones. Like, sword ‘n board is no longer just plain inferior to a two-hander because guard counters are so good. Magic is also way stronger, more versatile, and fun to use.