Spooktober Gaming

2 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

Can’t turn back. Which road do you take?

Like a couple dozen people survived Racoon City cause it was nuked and the conditions were much worse (zombie apocalypse with all kinds of other nightmarish mutants) XD

Silent Hill is pretty terrifying, but it can only bring out what's inside a person; their demons. I'm not THAT fucked up, so I think I'd be safer 

• Like 1

Agreed. I do think Silent Hill is scarier, and zombies are easier to shoot your way through than psychologically-borne inner demons made manifest, but the nuclear timer and military quarantine makes Raccoon City a bigger challenge, I think.

If the choice is between "escape Raccoon City" and "conquer your fears and demons in Silent Hill", I think the latter is not only more viable, but it may actually serve as some painful but valuable therapy. XD

• Like 1

@The Good Doctor Horror themed creation for twenty five bucks. Looks almost official.

>the player will explore The Blighted Marsh, a Solstheim-sized island encased by raging storms in the Sea of Ghosts, and fight to unravel a coven of witches' plans. The Marsh is home to new custom creatures, weathers, dungeons, weapons, spells, multi-stage bosses and professional grade voice acted quests to complete and a plethora of lore to uncover and learn

Alot of huge Creation releases in the last couple of months though; this, the Bard Guild expansion (which turns into into a fully functioning faction), and a Vampire questline with the vigilantes. A big expansion to the Dark Brotherhood. All fully voiced. Must be doing well for Bethesda for them to greenlight so many. 

12 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

Must be doing well for Bethesda for them to greenlight so many

I imagine it’s mostly because it costs them very little. They don’t have to spend any of their own time or manpower on it.

It’s just a flat one-time payout to the modder for their content, and let’s be real, most modders would charge very little for the opportunity to get their work in a Bethesda game.

At $20 a pop, I doubt it would need to sell much to break even. It’s low-risk, regardless of the reward.

• Like 1

About two thirds done; game's still fantastic.

Screenshot(650).thumb.png.a386b6f4bcbf9a3615b156c2948d2422.png

Screenshot(653).thumb.png.9ea01d04e65f6ee533b1a6c401c7496c.png

Screenshot(656).thumb.png.fd68954c7f44d4d65079594d8c0435ac.png

Screenshot(658).thumb.png.76e10b009aeb94fd9306d03889d5e35a.png

Screenshot(663).thumb.png.e19e266bd8164d40cda9b93374fc1950.png

Screenshot(670).thumb.png.18904387d576a20fe55407292abde844.png

Screenshot(673).thumb.png.ab240737adafedc7179fc66d7281defc.png

The only gripe I have is the heavily altered pacing. The OG didn't have any kind of bloat; it told the story in eight to ten hours and that's it. In the 2024 version; there's alot more game. New side areas and portions you need to progress; I think the game is twice as long. Like the RE makes, they fill them in with new puzzles, enemy variants, and lore...yet they didn't really expand the story or add new set-pieces (they made alternations, new interactions and added a couple new scenes but nothing close to what 2 and 4 did for example.) So what you have pretty long bits between the cutscenes that used to be right next to each other so it feels off.

Thankfully the exploration and combat is pretty fun so I don't think it's a huge problem; but I would be remiss not to mention it. 

Oh and while I think they did as best as humanly possible as preserving the subtle nuances of the OG (Like they did a fantastic job with the dreamy atmosphere) they couldn't resist adding some of the stuff I thought they would XD Which is fine

Screenshot(668).thumb.png.6f523081e4ba070078f36ac64f8af2ac.png

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

I’ll be honest, for $70, there better freaking be. XD As long as it’s not monotonous padding like Ubisoft does, then more bang for your buck is a good thing.

If a game was written for ten hours, and its amazing, I have no issue paying full price, especially if it's designed for replayability. 

40 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

If a game was written for ten hours, and its amazing, I have no issue paying full price, especially if it's designed for replayability. 

Me neither, I love a solid game that I can beat quickly. But "full price" should reflect both quality and quantity. If $60 provides games the size and scope of RDR, New Vegas, Halo with all its extra modes, etc. then $70 had better go a long way.

A Plague Tale is a great example. It’s an excellent experience, but not very long or expansive, so full price was only $40, and the bigger sequel was $50. I loved that game but $60 would’ve been overpriced for all it gave. 

1 minute ago, BigBossBalrog said:

Screenshot(681).thumb.png.546896a7cc95bfdaad2601e26bb8fb25.png

An amazing game twelve years ago and now! 

Says I spent 12 hours, but that counts only gameplay. With cutscenes it took me about 16 hours for my first playthrough. 

Nice! I got my hands on a copy yesterday and will be able to play it this week. Looking forward to seeing it for myself. 

• Like 1

@BigBossBalrog I know this is nothing new to you, but they absolutely nailed the atmosphere in this game! Exploring Silent Hill is stressful

The melee combat packs a brutal punch. I was really surprised when I kept swinging after an enemy fell and about the second time it became a curb stomp with James screaming as he made a bloody mess. XD 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, The Good Doctor said:

@BigBossBalrog I know this is nothing new to you, but they absolutely nailed the atmosphere in this game! Exploring Silent Hill is stressful

The melee combat packs a brutal punch. I was really surprised when I kept swinging after an enemy fell and about the second time it became a curb stomp with James screaming as he made a bloody mess. XD 

What's your impressions of the plot XD

Melee feels like crashing a car. There's so much power, really sells how James has no combat training.

7 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

What's your impressions of the plot XD

Melee feels like crashing a car. There's so much power, really sells how James has no combat training.

Don’t have much of one so far. Only major cutscenes I’ve had were at the very beginning. I’ve just been taking it slowly while exploring the town. Not been a lot of plot stuff so far besides the basic premise you get at the beginning.

Although it’s clear that James is already in a sort of "dreamlike" head state from the very beginning, considering how readily he accepts the hellscape he’s walking through.

And yes, the desperation of the melee excellently conveys that James isn’t skilled. He attacks wildly and with nothing but brute force. I love it. 

3 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

Don’t have much of one so far. Only major cutscenes I’ve had were at the very beginning. I’ve just been taking it slowly while exploring the town. Not been a lot of plot stuff so far besides the basic premise you get at the beginning.

Although it’s clear that James is already in a sort of "dreamlike" head state from the very beginning, considering how readily he accepts the hellscape he’s walking through.

And yes, the desperation of the melee excellently conveys that James isn’t skilled. He attacks wildly and with nothing but brute force. I love it. 

So Silent Hill is unique in that your ending is decided by how you play the game: rather than arbitrary decisions. So try to get into the headspace and act accordingly. 

• Like 1