Spooktober Gaming

18 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

Kind of a shame they didn't start with a Remake of 1 now; would have been awesome, considering how good this looks XD

Resident Evil did the same thing with its modern Remake series starting with 2. It’s a weird trend and I agree it would be preferable if they just did them in order.

But SH2 is by far the most popular and beloved of the franchise, so I suppose it makes sense in this case that they’d want to start with the one most likely to be a success.

Plus, if they do intend to do more, having SH1 and SH3 back-to-back would work well, since they are the most connected of the games.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

Resident Evil did the same thing with its modern Remake series starting with 2. It’s a weird trend and I agree it would be preferable if they just did them in order.

But SH2 is by far the most popular and beloved of the franchise, so I suppose it makes sense in this case that they’d want to start with the one most likely to be a success.

Plus, if they do intend to do more, having SH1 and SH3 back-to-back would work well, since they are the most connected of the games.

Yeah, 2 is almost completely unrelated to 1, and 3. So maybe to get the series off the ground, their banking on it's stand-alone nature. 

• Like 1

You know, with remakes being such a huge trend lately in both gaming and movies, I wish we’d see more effort to remake bad stories that had potential. 

Instead, It’s always the classics. Games have generally done a better job of updating classics (particularly horror) than movies, but wouldn’t it be awesome to see some of the things that sucked, or were just mediocre, get a second chance to be great?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

You know, with remakes being such a huge trend lately in both gaming and movies, I wish we’d see more effort to remake bad stories that had potential. 

Instead, It’s always the classics. Games have generally done a better job of updating classics (particularly horror) than movies, but wouldn’t it be awesome to see some of the things that sucked, or were just mediocre, get a second chance to be great?

That's been an argument in the movie sphere alot; instead of remaking things that are already good, why not put a new lease on something that wasn't? I think the main problem is about how it looks to the audience. People get more excited for the possibly of re-experiencing something they love rather than taking a chance on something you already took a chance on and hated XD It sucks, but that's the way it is. Imagine what would have happened if they announced they were working on a remake of one of the bad Silent Hill games, like homecoming, instead of 2 XD

• Like 1

I know you’re right. It’d be a risk and companies don’t like those, but man I would love to see it happen. XD And I think even one or two really good and prolific "redemptions" in a row would generate a lot of excitement around the idea. Same way REmake 2 jumpstarted the trend we’re on now.

The coolest thing Capcom could possibly do would be to remake RE6 and have it actually be really damn good. Fans would love it and it would clean a stain on the brand.

4 hours ago, The Good Doctor said:

@BigBossBalrog Any other bad or disappointing horror games or movies you’d most like to see get this sort of treatment?

With games "Dino Crisis 3" is a big one for me. Would kill to see it redone from scratch as an actual sequel to DC2.

For movies, "As Above So Below" is one that I’d love to see done better. 

Dino Crisis 3 needs to be a different game. I'm sorry, Dinosaurs Dead Space was never a good idea XD Same with Resident Evil 6 (I'd like to see it be that unused version of Resident Evil 4 I talked about). 

In terms of salvable premises, I think Dead Space 3 and it's setting (an ice planet) has a ton of potential that was ravaged by alot of gameplay decision. That would be my favorite choice.

And I actually remember liking As Above; that was the alchemic horror movie set in France right? It's a cult classic now. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

Dino Crisis 3 needs to be a different game. I'm sorry, Dinosaurs Dead Space was never a good idea XD Same with Resident Evil 6 (I'd like to see it be that unused version of Resident Evil 4 I talked about). 

Don’t be sorry. I agree completely. That’s what I’m saying. Tear it down, remake it from scratch with the same name and a wholly different premise. Dino Crisis 2 ended with a cliffhanger that never got addressed except vaguely in an arcade light gun spinoff (that I also played the hell out of XD). And even that game didn’t resolve it. That’s what Dino Crisis 3 should be.

Agreed on RE6 as well. Scrap it. The only thing that seems worth keeping is Sherry now being a main character and meeting Leon again as an adult. Otherwise, the whole plot can be scrapped and replaced with one that’s less convoluted and more focused on actual horror.

25 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

And I actually remember liking As Above; that was the alchemic horror movie set in France right? It's a cult classic now. 

Set in the catacombs, yes. I thought it was a great premise in a just "okay" film with a weak third act. I know it has a cult following, but I think with better execution it could’ve been a genuine classic.

14 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

This is crazy. Apparently the movie was released uncensored for the first time in Chinese horror history XD

The overarching villain of the Alien franchise is a giant Euro-Japanese megacorp. It’s no wonder that China is willing to hear this movie out. XD 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, The Good Doctor said:

The overarching villain of the Alien franchise is a giant Euro-Japanese megacorp. It’s no wonder that China is willing to hear this movie out. XD 

You get to see life on a Weyland Yutani mining Colony for the first fifteen minutes, and it's pretty much China XD

• Haha 1

Again, I may just be shilling, but they brought back the "retro futuristic" look Alien 1 and 2 had, made it so most of the xenomorph/headguys effects were done with puppetry and rubber suits, and brought alot of elements of all the different movies and unified them in a much more cohesive way than previous prequels. So yeah, very good movie XD

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

I ain't kidding. The trailer showcased a zombie Werewolf fighting a special ops team first person XD

Screw it, I’ll take it!

I avoided Dying Light 2 because of how incredibly dirty they did Chris Avellone with that project, but I might check this one out. Good werewolf stuff is rare, and the trailer this gives off major Dog Soldiers vibes.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The Good Doctor said:

Screw it, I’ll take it!

I avoided Dying Light 2 because of how incredibly dirty they did Chris Avellone with that project, but I might check this one out. Good werewolf stuff is rare, and the trailer this gives off major Dog Soldiers vibes.

My point exactly. Apparently the game will featured forced transformations at night (alongside a much more dangerous nightime) and an American alpine forest as the main setting, which sounds really cool.

• Like 1

Almacomic.webp.d8600008cbb580672111b032258fbbba.webp

*Tanks a nuclear bomb. TWICE

*Causes shadow demons to spawn just from her presence*

*Causes people to explode into red mist from her presense*

*Causes BULLETS to explode in her presence* 

*Can rip apart cities with pure thought* 

*Can never die because she's already dead*

*Literally rapes people*

Alma's pretty terrifying and I think she might be one of the most overpowered horror characters ever XD

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, The Good Doctor said:

Have you heard of The Mortuary Assistant? One of the scariest games I’ve ever played. 

Edit:  "Played" is the wrong word. I watched it being played. Haven’t had my turn yet. XD But even just watching, it’s terrifying.

I knew about it before it blew up XD One of the scariest games since PT. The randomness of all the events and which corpse is possessed makes it all the more scary; once the curse progresses it has some pretty unique scares too. I think it just got an extended edition, for consoles. 

• Like 1

On 8/22/2024 at 2:36 PM, BigBossBalrog said:

Almacomic.webp.d8600008cbb580672111b032258fbbba.webp

*Tanks a nuclear bomb. TWICE

*Causes shadow demons to spawn just from her presence*

*Causes people to explode into red mist from her presense*

*Causes BULLETS to explode in her presence* 

*Can rip apart cities with pure thought* 

*Can never die because she's already dead*

*Literally rapes people*

Alma's pretty terrifying and I think she might be one of the most overpowered horror characters ever XD

Her one weakness would be a drunk priest too stubborn to give two fucks about ghosts. The F.E.A.R version of Bloodborne's -99 insight NPC XD

• Haha 1