Spooktober Gaming

3 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

To be fair, the REmake 2 gunplay feels like it simulates having never having shot a gun in your life. XD 

I thought it feels great? Very weighty and heavy; and the way they incorporateds all of the stuff like Leon's panicked dialogue and aiming 

6 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

The animations are...mixed. The facial stuff looks great, but some of James attacks look really stiff XD

The voice actors are pretty good, but its going to be hard for me to get used to them XD Some of the dialogue seems to be tonally different, which is fine. 

Actual graphics look 10/10. Like holy shit. Hopefully it'll run at a good frame rate. 

I still play Morrowind. Mixed animations are not gonna ruin it for me. XD 

The dialogue seems more normal, maybe? It’s been a very long time for me, but I feel like it was often more cryptic and creepy in the OG. Is that what you mean?

Graphics do indeed look very good. But better than that is just the atmosphere they’ve captured. The fog, the lighting, the sounds, and especially the unsettling quiet. Basically exactly what I’d want a modern Silent Hill to look and feel like. 

2 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

I thought it feels great? Very weighty and heavy; and the way they incorporateds all of the stuff like Leon's panicked dialogue and aiming 

Oh yes, it feels very good. I didn’t mean that in a bad way.

But the weapon sway, reticle bloom, and unpredictable enemy movements definitely make accuracy much more difficult than a lot of shooters. You don’t feel like you’re controlling a crack shooting professional, which is fine because that’s not what Leon or Claire are.

6 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

I still play Morrowind. Mixed animations are not gonna ruin it for me. XD 

The dialogue seems more normal, maybe? It’s been a very long time for me, but I feel like it was often more cryptic and creepy in the OG. Is that what you mean?

Graphics do indeed look very good. But better than that is just the atmosphere they’ve captured. The fog, the lighting, the sounds, and especially the unsettling quiet. Basically exactly what I’d want a modern Silent Hill to look and feel like. 

Bingo. The weird, creepy awkwardness had alot of charm; and it was never even close to Resident Evil's level of awkwardness XD

• Like 1

Just now, BigBossBalrog said:

Bingo. The weird, creepy awkwardness had alot of charm; and it was never even close to Resident Evil's level of awkwardness. 

Iirc, the Silent Hill awkwardness kinda made me feel uncomfortable, like characters were not acting as they should in these scenarios because there’s something wrong and they’re not themselves/you’re not perceiving them correctly.

RE awkwardness is more just 90s cheese and bad localization by the Japanese. XD 

11 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

I do feel like they nailed Laura, though. Tone of her dialogue and all. Creepy little brat. 

I feel it throw people off thinking she's just Sherry XD (She has her reasons to be be so mean to James, however) And I think that's really what an eight year old would be acting like instead of Sherry XD

17 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

Iirc, the Silent Hill awkwardness kinda made me feel uncomfortable, like characters were not acting as they should in these scenarios because there’s something wrong and they’re not themselves/you’re not perceiving them correctly.

RE awkwardness is more just 90s cheese and bad localization by the Japanese. XD 

It's one hundred percent intentional in Silent Hill's case. Just compare the original scene to the trailer. 

The performance's in the new one are quite a bit better from a polish perspective; but I kind of think that awkward, weird, and creepy take would be how real people would be reacting in such a weird occurrence. 

4 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

And I think that's really what an eight year old would be acting like instead of Sherry XD

It’s really hard to compare, since Sherry is just a scared little girl in a very real horror scenario. Laura is in bizarro Silent Hill world where the horrors are subjective to each individual, and so there aren’t really any hard "rules" for how she should behave.

That said, I found Laura’s brattiness and childish manipulation much more "real" and convincing in this trailer than Sherry at certain points in the RE2 Remake (particularly the end when she acts like nothing really happened).

Besides their age and appearance, I don’t think the two come across as overly similar.

But man, I hope this game is good and performs well. With the second cancellation of Dead Space, I worry that a big name like Silent Hill failing right after Alone in the Dark will hurt our chances of getting more AAA horror in the near future from anyone besides Capcom.

Would really suck for the genre to get this awesome revival it’s had only to fizzle out again so quickly. 

• Sad 1

8 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

But man, I hope this game is good and performs well. With the second cancellation of Dead Space, I worry that a big name like Silent Hill failing right after Alone in the Dark will hurt our chances of getting more AAA horror in the near future from anyone besides Capcom.

Would really suck for the genre to get this awesome revival it’s had only to fizzle out again so quickly. 

I have faith that it will XD Its already doing really well on the steam charts. I think the October (HELL FUCKING yeah) release date be really good for it, and Silent Hill has a famous cult reputation that will give it a greater appeal. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

It’s really hard to compare, since Sherry is just a scared little girl in a very real horror scenario. Laura is in bizarro Silent Hill world where the horrors are subjective to each individual, and so there aren’t really any hard "rules" for how she should behave.

That said, I found Laura’s brattiness and childish manipulation much more "real" and convincing in this trailer than Sherry at certain points in the RE2 Remake (particularly the end when she acts like nothing really happened).

Besides their age and appearance, I don’t think the two come across as overly similar.

"Yeah I know my Dad killed my Mom: tried to eat me, and turned me into a mutant, but what's you apartment like Claire cause your stuck with me now."  

• Haha 1

Just now, BigBossBalrog said:

"Yeah I know my Dad killed my Mom: tried to eat me, and turned me into a mutant, but what's you apartment like Claire cause your stuck with me now."  

Claire:  "Uhh… HEY, what’s that over there?!" *points and runs away*

Leon:  "Hey, where did she- ah hell nah!" *calls child protective services*

• Haha 1

Once scene I really liked was the Remake's version of James going up to Laura really aggressively and screaming that she's a liar; before pulling away at the last second, ashamed.  Alot of good detailing in the animation. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

Once scene I really liked was the Remake's version of James going up to Laura really aggressively and screaming that she's a liar; before pulling away at the last second, ashamed.  Alot of good detailing in the animation. 

I liked that too. Almost mentioned it. It was well acted and felt like a really believable, human reaction.

Also adds an extra level of depth to Laura locking him in the room. She didn’t like him calling her a liar. 

@The Good Doctor Great news! Nightdive's new horror remaster appears to be the old Thing game. If you haven't played it, it's a Resident Evil clone with alot of unique mechanics, got a good reception from fans and critics, John Carpetner was involved and even has a couple of the original actors in it. Nightdive is known for there super high quality remasters/remakes (they did the System Shock Remake, Power Slave, Quake 1/2)

• Like 3

1 hour ago, BigBossBalrog said:

Great news! Nightdive's new horror remaster appears to be the old Thing game. I

This has a lot of potential if they do it right. 

On the topic of horror, hop on Discord with Colonel and me. He’s streaming a horror mod for Fallout. 

• Like 1