Roleplayer's Off-Topic Thread #44

7 hours ago, Celan said:

Saw Alien Romulus. It had good atmosphere and some good visuals but the usual stuff, completely forgettable characters that look like they're 13 years old. Plus the gore and action was just... too much. Like it was throwing everything but the kitchen sink at you. 

They were stock horror tropes, but I found it refreshing they weren't complete idiots like the guys from Prometheus and Covenant. Amongst them, I liked the Android the best. 

I liked the action-horror, but then again, I play shit like Dead Space and DOOM XD

4 hours ago, BigBossBalrog said:

New Predator (by the same team that did Prey) so I'm optimistic about this. Apparently it's going to be a swamp-theme, and take place in the American South 

I’m in agreement with Celan that it’s gotten old to have the characters in all these movies look like 13-year-olds who have no business being smart or tough enough to defeat the monsters.

Blacks ops Arnold Schwarzenegger and beat cop Danny Glover barely survived their movies by the skin of their teeth. Hillbilly Jane is gonna be a tough sale. XD

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, The Good Doctor said:

I’m in agreement with Celan that it’s gotten old to have the characters in all these movies look like 13-year-olds who have no business being smart or tough enough to defeat the monsters.

Blacks ops Arnold Schwarzenegger and beat cop Danny Glover barely survived their movies by the skin of their teeth. Hillbilly Jane is gonna be a tough sale. XD

I disagree. The 13 year olds in Romulus were not only canoically teenagers whose families and parents birthed them into Weyland slavery on one of their horrible labour colonies: they were super tough because they were working in the mines their entire lives XD

5 hours ago, BigBossBalrog said:

they were super tough because they were working in the mines their entire lives XD

That may be so, but they look more like pampered college kids than grizzled life-long mining slaves. Ripley and the Nostromo crew were only space truckers, yet they appeared way more weathered and authentic.

Course, I’ve been wrong before. I definitely was about Paul’s actor in Dune. So I’m just saying this based on the trailers and promo images, maybe the movie will change my mind when I see it.

But I highly doubt Predator does. XD 

Watching the Predator go from hunting guys like this:

10859836.jpg
0b0b7a6ed595f47ac469857b9cbed5db.jpg

- to getting its ass handed to it by 100-pound 20-year-old girls like this:

naru-bow.jpg
c0c3e66eaa84a93298818cecd0a21429.jpg

- is just very boring and so typical of modern Hollywood.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

Oh and journalists are rushing to its defense.

The game that nobody saw any news or marketing for except to brag about how pandery it was going to be. Of course journalists are the only people who like it.

I love how upset they are by gamers celebrating the failure of things that are marketed so antagonistically. Reap what you sow, bitch. XD 

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

The game that nobody saw any news or marketing for except to brag about how pandery it was going to be. Of course journalists are the only people who like it.

I love how upset they are by gamers celebrating the failure of things that are marketed so antagonistically. Reap what you sow, bitch. XD 

I'm more happy that another live service ridden product failed miserably XD

@TheCzarsHussar

This might be up your alley. They just released an Ultimate Cut of Caligula: the infamously troubled and insane movie that took years to make, and was then butchered in production. Apparently, the movie only retains about eight percent of theatrical footage, and the rest is never before scene stuff. (And it's like three hours.) 

81A9tP0V5VL._AC_UF8941000_QL80_.jpg.d3ae2a6d26cadf3f81c4a8c87053f576.jpg

• Like 1

On 8/27/2024 at 9:12 PM, BigBossBalrog said:

They were stock horror tropes, but I found it refreshing they weren't complete idiots like the guys from Prometheus and Covenant. Amongst them, I liked the Android the best. 

I liked the action-horror, but then again, I play shit like Dead Space and DOOM XD

We also watched Furiosa on HBO and I had the same reaction. Action scenes stapled together back to back with absolutely no reason to care. 

On 8/28/2024 at 10:59 AM, The Good Doctor said:

That may be so, but they look more like pampered college kids than grizzled life-long mining slaves. Ripley and the Nostromo crew were only space truckers, yet they appeared way more weathered and authentic.

Course, I’ve been wrong before. I definitely was about Paul’s actor in Dune. So I’m just saying this based on the trailers and promo images, maybe the movie will change my mind when I see it.

Hide contents

But I highly doubt Predator does. XD 

Watching the Predator go from hunting guys like this:

10859836.jpg
0b0b7a6ed595f47ac469857b9cbed5db.jpg

- to getting its ass handed to it by 100-pound 20-year-old girls like this:

naru-bow.jpg
c0c3e66eaa84a93298818cecd0a21429.jpg

- is just very boring and so typical of modern Hollywood.

Narrator: It won't.

A little stage dirt can't make someone look like they've seen shit. But leave aside the fact that they're babies. They're also completely cardboard cutouts.

• Like 1

"If you know me you know I don't keep up with the times. I just go with the flow." - Woody Copeland, life coach

22 hours ago, BigBossBalrog said:

@TheCzarsHussar

This might be up your alley. They just released an Ultimate Cut of Caligula: the infamously troubled and insane movie that took years to make, and was then butchered in production. Apparently, the movie only retains about eight percent of theatrical footage, and the rest is never before scene stuff. (And it's like three hours.) 

Oooh, I've never heard of this. Have you seen it before? Is it good?

22 hours ago, BigBossBalrog said:

@TheCzarsHussar

I'm also going to be biased, this movie is gonna have a damn hard time with a better Caligula than John Hurt in I'Claudius XD

1 hour ago, TheCzarsHussar said:

image.png.54a4ce89ba66b8e3d6c4ae0315a4be20.png:rofl:

Not familiar with the Duel-Wielding Cripple subclass.

Because people play video games to be reminded of their limitations IRL.

I know I sound like a broken record, but don't see Longlegs. It's horrible rather than horrifying. It's my BF's birthday week and he loves movie so we're watching a lot of them, but so far the score is 3/4 absolute stinkers. Horizon was the best.

• Like 1

"If you know me you know I don't keep up with the times. I just go with the flow." - Woody Copeland, life coach