Roleplayer's Off-Topic Thread #44

Lake Lure really fucked right now. This is the resort town where Dirty Dancing was filmed, if that's any reference. There is a dam in the town that is just barely holding.

"If you know me you know I don't keep up with the times. I just go with the flow." - Woody Copeland, life coach

My lights flickered all morning, lots of wind and rain but my power stayed on. A lot of people in CLT lost power. The worst is out towards Boone and Asheville. 

I-40 on the NC-Tennesee line is supposedly gone.

"If you know me you know I don't keep up with the times. I just go with the flow." - Woody Copeland, life coach

13 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

Apparently Ubisoft is on fire. They cancelled the Shadows season pass, delayed it by six months, and are in panic mode due to Outlaws flopping.

1727476542415624m.thumb.jpg.0dfc5106c52e2b3614b8c3a3b3bbfb8a.jpg

Splinter Cell remake not doing well is very worrying :(

Their stock value is below the dirt at this point. I listened to a couple deep dives on their trajectory this week and it’s actually impressive how thoroughly such a powerful company has managed to screw the pooch in every way imaginable.

Now we’ve got rumors that they are having talks about going private. That would be huge, but honestly might be the smartest thing they could do. They need a dramatic overhaul or they’ll be gone soon.

The only reason they haven’t been swallowed by a larger company already (most likely Tencent) is the French government’s antitrust laws.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, BigBossBalrog said:

Shits insane. Stay safe guys!

The hurricane was originally projected to be an absolute nightmare for Macon. It was going to hit us as a category 2, plus the eye wall was going directly through the city. Plus there were major tornado warnings....

Then Helene did a fucking wibbly wobbly right as it crossed into Georgia and somehow killed itself XD

The eye wall began disintegrating and the hurricane was barely a category 1, more of a tropical storm when it finally hit Macon. Long story short, we got lucky.

1 hour ago, TheCzarsHussar said:

The hurricane was originally projected to be an absolute nightmare for Macon. It was going to hit us as a category 2, plus the eye wall was going directly through the city. Plus there were major tornado warnings....

Then Helene did a fucking wibbly wobbly right as it crossed into Georgia and somehow killed itself XD

The eye wall began disintegrating and the hurricane was barely a category 1, more of a tropical storm when it finally hit Macon. Long story short, we got lucky.

Yeah it moved east then turned back over the Blue Ridge Mountains. Half of I-40 slid down a mountain at the NC-TN border. I remember driving through there when I moved to NC- can't imagine getting stranded there.

A lot of people are still trapped, whole towns cut off from rescuers, and dams are still failing downstream.

image.thumb.png.e7b6d816184de4e9ea994780b3451ea1.png

GYj47fPXYAAG50y?format=jpg&name=medium

• Sad 1

I haven't even been able to hate watch this show, but at least we have the Nerdrotic videos.

• Haha 1

56 minutes ago, Celan said:

Elrond making out with his MIL has got to be a new low.

The amount of insanely stupid things that have happened in this show makes it seriously difficult for me to decide what I think the lowest point is.

Galadriel jumping into the ocean a thousand miles from the nearest land and the Numenorians tanking a volcanic eruption were both pretty bad. XD 

It's honestly weird how so many so-called professional writers can be just this bad. What is this phenomenon about?

Just now, BigBossBalrog said:

They're clearly trying to court the Game of Thrones audience.

You mean the twenty people who remained fans after season 8? Because I can’t imagine anyone else having standards this low.

7 minutes ago, Celan said:

It's honestly weird how so many so-called professional writers can be just this bad. What is this phenomenon about?

Nepotism has at least a little to do with it. The showrunners for RoP used to work with JJ Abrams, though they have very little experience, themselves. And frankly, JJ sucks at writing too whenever he takes a crack at it, so that checks out. 

There’s also the guild they’re a part of which always negotiates to stuff the writer’s room full of a diverse group of hip young "up-and-comers". Situations like Breaking Bad where you’ve got a single, very competent writer mapping everything out in a coherent fashion are rare now.

Then there’s Hollywood and Amazon hellbent on their typical agenda-pushing subversive nonsense, probably bleeding into it all.

• Like 2

Kris Kristofferson died today at 88 years old. Great musician and voice actor. Also a Rhodes Scholar and Army Ranger (likely why he was chosen to play Chief Hanlon). We are losing a lot of legends this year.

James Earl Jones was an Army Ranger too. Not a lot of celebrities can boast that so it’s a bit of an odd thing that these two would die back-to-back.

• Sad 2

5 hours ago, The Good Doctor said:

You mean the twenty people who remained fans after season 8? Because I can’t imagine anyone else having standards this low.

Nepotism has at least a little to do with it. The showrunners for RoP used to work with JJ Abrams, though they have very little experience, themselves. And frankly, JJ sucks at writing too whenever he takes a crack at it, so that checks out. 

There’s also the guild they’re a part of which always negotiates to stuff the writer’s room full of a diverse group of hip young "up-and-comers". Situations like Breaking Bad where you’ve got a single, very competent writer mapping everything out in a coherent fashion are rare now.

Then there’s Hollywood and Amazon hellbent on their typical agenda-pushing subversive nonsense, probably bleeding into it all.

Dude should have stuck to making movies like Nightbeast and Cloverfield XD

• Haha 1