Roleplayer's Off-Topic Thread #44

On 9/24/2024 at 7:29 PM, BigBossBalrog said:

Japanese games don't touch the Aniu with a ten foot pole so apparently it's a cultural taboo XD

The Japanese really hate anything being brought up about their brutal history XD

They tried to make the Ainu fully Japanese during the Mejji restoration right? 

1 minute ago, BigBossBalrog said:

I think he started when Copola was caught adding five star reviews to the Megapolis page; so hilariously petty :rofl:

I guess it’s pretty easy to let loose a little when you’re rich, retired, and have about as positive a legacy as anyone ever has in your field. 

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

Yeah it's a really fun and addicting mode: great to see that it's still active. 

Somewhat active. I almost never get counter-invaded because half the players I infiltrate hardly ever log on. And when it does happen, my defenses are good enough that they always fail. XD 

But yes, it is addictive. It feels so satisfying reaching the core of a particularly secure base, taking loads of resources and abducted staff members with me.

Was really cool back in the heyday because people were legit working to get rid of every nuke to unlock some special cutscenes; factions organized between the players who wanted to use nukes and those that were opposed too it that led to a forever war...until Konami, being Konami, decided to unlock the bonus cutscenes for everyone a couple years after the game released XD

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Good Doctor said:

In less entertaining news, looks like TLoU season 2 is going to be faithful to the original in all the worst ways. :/ 

Curious if it’ll get as much blowback as the game did. I don’t plan on watching it.

@Celan

I don't know enough about the story to be able to judge. Is one of these characters supposed to be that butch woman?

"If you know me you know I don't keep up with the times. I just go with the flow." - Woody Copeland, life coach

10 minutes ago, Celan said:

I don't know enough about the story to be able to judge. Is one of these characters supposed to be that butch woman?

Yes, but you’d never know it from the trailer because the girl they cast isn’t built like a statue of Zeus. XD 

Without spoiling anything, two major writers quit and the second game suffered a huge nosedive in writing quality compared to the first, and makes some really ambitious (to put it charitably) narrative decisions that they did not pull off well at all. It was pretty controversial at the time, made worse by the director being a pretentious dick about it.

I was hoping the show would steer clear for its own sake, but judging by the trailer it actually looks quite faithful. But in this case I would say that is not at all a good thing.

1 minute ago, The Good Doctor said:

Yes, but you’d never know it from the trailer because the girl they cast isn’t built like a statue of Zeus. XD 

Without spoiling anything, two major writers quit and the second game suffered a huge nosedive in writing quality compared to the first, and makes some really ambitious (to put it charitably) narrative decisions that they did not pull off well at all. It was pretty controversial at the time, made all the worse by the project lead being a pretentious dick about it.

I was hoping the show would steer clear for its own sake, but judging by the trailer it actually looks quite faithful. But in this case I would say that is not a positive thing.

I remember the controversy, but don't recognize anything of what I heard from the trailer.

Didn't Joel die at the beginning of game 2?

"If you know me you know I don't keep up with the times. I just go with the flow." - Woody Copeland, life coach

5 minutes ago, Celan said:

I remember the controversy, but don't recognize anything of what I heard from the trailer.

Reveal hidden contents

Didn't Joel die at the beginning of game 2?

Yes, but worse than that is

the way he dies is really contrived, and requires him to catch a case of the stupids, plus the whole universe to bend over backwards to put him in that position.

Ellie is also a totally different character, with none of her old wit or enjoyability. Just a dried up hollow shell with plot armor. But that applies to almost every character in the game. It’s a pretty miserable time.

And the buff chick, Abby, who the writers try very hard to make you like, is just detestable from beginning to end.