Roleplayer's Off-Topic Thread #44

Netflix dropped a trailer for their new animated Tomb Raider series. 

Can’t say I’m impressed. It looks like exactly as dull as anyone could’ve predicted from IP-holders who have admitted to hating said IP.

More survivalist Lara. No characterization besides generic "angry determined". Yaaay. 

• Confused 1

7 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

Netflix dropped a trailer for their new animated Tomb Raider series. 

Can’t say I’m impressed. It looks like exactly as lame and dull as anyone could’ve predicted from IP-holders who have admitted to hating said IP.

More survivalist Lara. Yaaay. 

It's a popular rendition of the character, and I think it's kind of superseded the perception of what she used to be. I'm sorry Doc, I don't think you were getting classic Laura in this political climate XD Unless they leaned hard on her being a villain protagonist. Garett can be a jerk pillager stealing from the dead for cash, but Laura can't because she's stealing from real cultures  XD

As soon as I saw the whole "she's no longer a tomb raider, but a seeker of truth", I knew the new IP holders were going to be continuing the 2010's version. 

1 minute ago, BigBossBalrog said:

It's a popular rendition of the character

Based on the trailer’s reception, and the fact that each reboot game sold considerably less than the one before, I’m not sure how popular she actually is. Classic Tomb Raider is still the iconic version that people want, no matter how hard the current owners are trying to force it out of sight and mind.

3 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

but Laura can't because she's stealing from real cultures  XD

Oh no those poor blood-sacrificing Aztecs, fictional renditions of Atlantis, and literal demons from Hell! :violin:

I know why things are the way they are. Doesn’t mean I’m not gonna gripe and point out how crap it is. XD 

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

Based on the trailer’s reception, and the fact that each reboot game sold considerably less than the one before, I’m not sure how popular she actually is. Classic Tomb Raider is still the iconic version that people want, no matter how hard the current owners are trying to force it out of sight and mind.

Oh no those poor blood-sacrificing Aztecs, fictional renditions of Atlantis, and literal demons from Hell! :violin:

I know why things are the way they are. Doesn’t mean I’m not gonna gripe and point out how crap it is. XD 

GNgIxl6XMAAT6dB.thumb.jpg.c88b08f8066f4383f705ad2f5dba14d3.jpg

• Haha 2

I am partial to "Lara Soft".

Funny thing, what you described is in the first game. First time you actually face a human enemy, a rival tomb raider (basically just male redneck Lara) it ends with her leaving him immobilized by gunshot wounds on the bottom level of a cursed tomb full of wolves and dinosaurs. He escapes, somehow, only for her to finish him off later. Real Lara is brutal. XD 

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

Starfield is getting full vehicles. Which may be cool for the future of Fallout. 

It’s starting to sound like Starfield is the most expensive tech demo and testing platform of all time. XD Half the time it gets brought up, it’s just to say "this feature will be great in Fallout TES".

A return of motor vehicles to Fallout would be sweet. Too bad they’ve mangled the setting behind recognition.

• Haha 2

Just now, BigBossBalrog said:

*New amazing horror themed Arkham game*

*It's VR* 

Wow. Feels bad. 

VR is like the mid-2000s 3D movie phase of video games. It’s a nifty gimmick that is getting way too much focus by companies relative to the number of people who actually own or use it.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

A return of motor vehicles to Fallout would be sweet. Too bad they’ve mangled the setting behind recognition

"Introducing Fallout 5: Tactics, headed by The Pitt team with writers from Obsidian and-"

Wakes up.

NO, ST. TRINA HELP ME

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

A rat plaque is taking over Gotham and it looks super dark. Apparently it's a sequel to origins too. Don't know why the fuck its a VR game. 

Bet you anything it’s a rush job to draw attention away from Kill the Justice League. 

I wish I’d gotten into Hunt years ago. It is awesome and might be my favorite online matchmaking game ever in terms of setting and premise, but the skill floor is just too high for me at this point. If you win even a little, you’ll be bumped up to lobbies full of long-time veterans and spend the next few hours getting annihilated. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

I wish I’d gotten into Hunt years ago. It is awesome and might be my favorite online matchmaking game ever in terms of setting and premise, but the skill floor is just too high for me at this point. If you win even a little, you’ll be bumped up to lobbies full of long-time veterans and spend the next few hours getting annihilated. 

Its probally like a bunch of greenhorn cattle ranchers going against hardened banditos XD

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, BigBossBalrog said:

Apparently the new Starfield expansion is horror themed.

The jokes write themselves.

• Haha 1

"If you know me you know I don't keep up with the times. I just go with the flow." - Woody Copeland, life coach