Soulsborne Rings Die Twice Thread #14

Favorite of the Carian Royalty  

4 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your favorite of House Caria?

• Rennala, Queen of the Full Moon
    • Starscourge Radahn
    • Lunar Princess Ranni
    • Rykard, Lord of Blasphemy

2 minutes ago, TheCzarsHussar said:

I can't remember exactly what or where it is, but the scariest headless for me is either the first one or the headless in this creepy ass abandoned temple deep underground 

Not sure if I have found that one.

I’ve got the Ashina Outskirts/Senpou one who is in the pitch black arena, the one in the Misty forest, and two underwater ones. 

• Like 1

You know with the ogre and serpent at the beginning, this game kinda tricked me into thinking it was high fantasy from top to bottom. But it turned out to be surprisingly subdued. The "ogre" is just a European who was experimented on, and all the rest of Ashina’s soldiers are regular humans, just with occasionally exaggerated features like the sumo guys and deformed "rats".

In other FromSoft games, magic and monsters are common parts of everyday life, but you could imagine the world of Sekiro looking almost normal through the eyes of a regular foot soldier who lives and dies serving Ashina or the Interior Ministry.

It’s only when you venture out into the deeper more hidden places of the earth that the mystical elements come to the forefront.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, The Good Doctor said:

You know with the ogre and serpent at the beginning, this game kinda tricked me into thinking it was high fantasy from top to bottom. But it turned out to be surprisingly subdued. The "ogre" is just a European who was experimented on, and all the rest of Ashina’s soldiers are regular humans, just with occasionally exaggerated features like the sumo guys and deformed "rats".

In other FromSoft games, magic and monsters are common parts of everyday life, but you could imagine the world of Sekiro looking almost normal through the eyes of a regular foot soldier who lives and dies serving Ashina or the Interior Ministry.

It’s only when you venture out into the deeper more hidden places of the earth that the mystical elements come to the forefront.

elder_monkey.webp.621a03440fdd0f9dddb7fd967e699267.webp

Grounded? :rofl:

But joking aside, I agree. That gritty, militarized, Jidekai aesthetics is one of the biggest appeals to me. Most games in this setting don't go for that vibe, and the fact FROM did makes it stand out all the more. The game looks awesome. Even the Samurai are filthy

It's the 1600's, and it's supposed to take place in our world. They did a wonderfully job conveying that "the magic goes a way" feeling. It's becoming harder and harder to find, and even a place that the ministry fears as a "an ancient place filled with heretical magic" it's slowly fading away. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

elder_monkey.webp.621a03440fdd0f9dddb7fd967e699267.webp

Grounded? :rofl:

Yes. This is what I was talking about:

2 hours ago, The Good Doctor said:

The valley with the warrior monkeys is in the bowls of a mystical jungle ravine, a far journey from civilization. The only signs of human habitation are abandoned ruins and overgrown statues.

Definitely fits the bill of "deeper more hidden places of the earth". It’s not like these monkeys are hopping around on the rooftops of Ashina. XD 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

It's the 1600's, and it's supposed to take place in our world. They did a wonderfully job conveying that "the magic goes a way" feeling. It's becoming harder and harder to find, and even a place that the ministry fears as a "an ancient place filled with heretical magic" it's slowly fading away. 

Even Isshin says his people were heretical, and appears to despise the idea of relying on ancient powers instead of personal mastery. He frowns on Genichiro making that choice. It is indeed fading out.

Kinda reminds me of Middle Earth in that regard. The common folk of Gondor, Rohan, the Shire, etc. are unlikely to even witness true magic or monsters in their lifetimes. That stuff is the province of an older world that is fading. You can find it, but you have to venture into the deep places.

• Like 2

And despite being absolutely horrifying, the headless are truly tragic monsters :(

"Fallen, headless spirit of Gachiin. Suppresses sound and presence, making the user harder to detect. Consume Spirit Emblems to use repeatedly.

Headless are the ruined form of corrupted heroes who once fought for their country.

"I'm falling to pieces", said the man to himself, drifting deep into the forest."

• Sad 2

14 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

And despite being absolutely horrifying, the headless are truly tragic monsters :(

"Fallen, headless spirit of Gachiin. Suppresses sound and presence, making the user harder to detect. Consume Spirit Emblems to use repeatedly.

Headless are the ruined form of corrupted heroes who once fought for their country.

"I'm falling to pieces", said the man to himself, drifting deep into the forest."

You should have seen the original pre-patch description.

Describing Headless as virgins who perished without ever getting the big suck

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

Again, alot of really good world building. Despite it being set in a historical period and choosing to have a straight forward narrative style XD

I would be quite happy if they were to make more games with this sort of narrative style. I’m totally fine with hiding lots of deeper lore in item descriptions and whatnot, but I vastly prefer the main storyline to be coherent with believable characters, clear motivations, and driving forces besides vague "follow the grace/kindle the fire/escape the dream" type stuff.

6 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

I would be quite happy if they were to make more games with this sort of narrative style. I’m totally fine with hiding lots of deeper lore in item descriptions and whatnot, but I vastly prefer the main storyline to be coherent with believable characters, clear motivations, and driving forces besides vague "follow the grace/kindle the fire/escape the dream" type stuff.

Armored Core 6 has a similar structure. I think you'd enjoy the plot in that too XD

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

Armored Core 6 has a similar structure. I think you'd enjoy the plot in that too XD

I’ll check it out someday.

After Sekiro (maybe multiple playthroughs :P), I will probably return to MGSV.

And then once Avowed comes out, I’ll be setting aside other games to play it.

Though I really would like to squeeze a playthrough of Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire in there somewhere, so I’m all caught up on the setting when I go into Avowed. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

Speaking of, I can imagine EA shuttering the studio if it was them and their game only got three million sold XD

At this point, FromSoft has gotten such a powerful reputation that I’d be surprised if even EA would shutter them over anything less than multiple flops in a row.

That’s how it worked for BioWare at least. If they can survive Andromeda and Anthem, then I imagine FromSoft would be just fine. 

If they ever do a Sekiro sequel, I'd like a prequel set during Isshin's rebellion. 

ECbm-1qU0AE3FJi.thumb.jpg.838ff06cd918f466e5bac2ead721ce8d.jpg

General Tamura would be an awesome boss to fight

10 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

At this point, FromSoft has gotten such a powerful reputation that I’d be surprised if even EA would shutter them over anything less than multiple flops in a row.

That’s how it worked for BioWare at least. If they can survive Andromeda and Anthem, then I imagine FromSoft would be just fine. 

Was just a joke about unrealistic sales expectations XD There's no way three million copies would be a flop, especially with how Armored Core had a lower budget. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

I'd like a prequel set during Isshin's rebellion. 

I generally prefer sequels, but I guess how viable that is depends on how this game ends. XD When I reached the Fountainhead, I got the achievement for finding all regions, so I reckon this is the endgame and I will find out for myself soon enough. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, TheCzarsHussar said:

Oh my God bro I was stuck on the divine dragon for hours in my first playt- nah that bitch easy gg bro XD

I would be surprised by anyone who made it this far actually if dying to it. Maybe if their controller batteries died. XD