Soulsborne Rings Die Twice Thread #14

Favorite of the Carian Royalty  

4 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your favorite of House Caria?

• Rennala, Queen of the Full Moon
    • Starscourge Radahn
    • Lunar Princess Ranni
    • Rykard, Lord of Blasphemy

Also, explored more of the Fountainhead during my lunch break. Killed the Palace Bull and was surprised by how much easier he was than the Blazing Bull. I’m definitely better at the game now than back then, but I don’t think that’s just it. Different moveset maybe? I don’t think he did any of Blazing’s charge or stampede attacks.

Explored some of the next area too. These eel ladies are fun to fight. Got some Dragonspring sake from one so I’ll have a new conversation with the Sculptor to look forward to later this evening.

• Like 1

Fighting Rellana casually on another character. I think my most hated thing about her is how she cheats by dead angling through shields despite being locked on. Make up your mind Meme-Zaki, is dead angling a thing or not?! :rofl:

Seriously take away that cheat she does and chefs kiss it becomes fun

Edit: It isn't even against just turtling, it hard counters perfect blocks too. Either that or it's a shitbox, but it would surely have been patched by now otherwise 

Edited by TheCzarsHussar
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

Also, explored more of the Fountainhead during my lunch break. Killed the Palace Bull and was surprised by how much easier he was than the Blazing Bull. I’m definitely better at the game now than back then, but I don’t think that’s just it. Different moveset maybe? I don’t think he did any of Blazing’s charge or stampede attacks.

Explored some of the next area too. These eel ladies are fun to fight. Got some Dragonspring sake from one so I’ll have a new conversation with the Sculptor to look forward to later this evening.

Some cool details. In contrast to the "modern" Sengoku look, the Okami Warriors are wearing Heian-era (give or take six hundred years ago) armor.

FZHynGnWIAIaum3.thumb.jpg.f92dc864838ebe04a2bd68d81d84cffb.jpg

1593418636_1_-japanese-legends-heian-era.jpg.b1a6085ecf7ced51184fbf84b0c80dad.jpg

And don't use katana; they wield tachi; an older style of sword. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tachi

Which gives you an idea how old them and the nobles are XD

The Fountain Head Palace also has grounding in real Japanese history. It's name translate to Minamoto; a branch of the Imperial Family during the Heian era. 

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

The Fountain Head Palace also has grounding in real Japanese history. It's name translate to Minamoto; a branch of the Imperial Family during the Heian era. 

Is it even a real physical place in the setting? Or part of some "spirit realm"? I’m assuming the latter as it doesn’t appear to be a place one can just walk to by natural means… Although I guess technically that is exactly what the giant straw man appeared to do. XD As "normal" as a giant straw man’s walking can be.

31 minutes ago, TheCzarsHussar said:

Fighting Rellana casually on another character. I think my most hated thing about her is how she cheats by dead angling through shields despite being locked on. Make up your mind Meme-Zaki, is dead angling a thing or not?! :rofl:

Seriously take away that cheat she does and chefs kiss it becomes fun

Edit: It isn't even against just turtling, it hard counters perfect blocks too. Either that or it's a shitbox, but it would surely have been patched by now otherwise 

Lmao got her once again. I seriously think she's one of From's worst bosses period. Purely for how unbalanced she is.

Across everything, this is the single time I advocate for either nerfs or rebalancing. Parrying is garbage because you have to do so when in any other game would be a second too early. It just feels rushed and stapled together. Which is unfortunate because she's obviously meant to be parried when solo

5 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

Is it even a real physical place in the setting? Or part of some "spirit realm"? I’m assuming the latter as it doesn’t appear to be a place one can just walk to by natural means.

It's real. I won't spoil something really cool (but's easily misable) that reveals it.  You need to beat one of the side quests in the fountain palace to unlock it. 

4 minutes ago, TheCzarsHussar said:

I can pretty easily whoop Messmer's ass in like two to three tries but Rellana the shitbox goddess is a brick wall for me XD

6 minutes ago, TheCzarsHussar said:

Lmao got her once again. I seriously think she's one of From's worst bosses period. Purely for how unbalanced she is.

Across everything, this is the single time I advocate for either nerfs or rebalancing. Parrying is garbage because you have to do so when in any other game would be a second too early. It just feels rushed and stapled together. Which is unfortunate because she's obviously meant to be parried when solo

It sounds like a skill issue to me. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, BigBossBalrog said:

It's real. I won't spoil something really cool (but's easily misable) that reveals it.  You need to beat one of the side quests in the fountain palace to unlock it. 

Guessing it’s the one with the old lady asking me to free her father from the great carp’s spell?

1 minute ago, BigBossBalrog said:

It sounds like a skill issue to me. 

Still won, ligma balls. Even beat her RL1 XD

• Haha 1

I think what gets under my skin the most is Rellana just isn't fun to fight for me. It's frustrating to no end, maybe it's like my issues with the Leonine Misbegotten where because my frames are making certain attacks near impossible to parry or dodge.

• Like 1

I think what gets under my skin the most is Rellana just isn't fun to fight for me. It's frustrating to no end, maybe it's like my issues with the Leonine Misbegotten where because my frames are making certain attacks near impossible to parry or dodge.

Then don't. Just block. 

2 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

Never even tried to parry Rellana because I don’t have a death wish. XD I found that a mix of dodging and well-timed deflecting hardtear blocks work on her about as well as any boss. 

Lmao don't bother trying, that's what kept getting me killed. Her parry timings are worse than ds2, I'm not being salty when is say in any other game it would be a second too early of a parry.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, TheCzarsHussar said:

Totally fair, to be honest. 

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

Why do you do this to yourself? XD 

Not really for the clout, just because it's a tradition started when I have more effort than I do these days XD

Which is to say when I was better at From games. I'll let y'all in on a secret, I ain't as good as I used to be ;)

• Haha 1

Unrelated to salt one thing I've noticed which is my objectively worse design across the board in the dlc is how duel wielding enemies are treated with being parried.

I'm all precious souls titles, enemies that spammed you with two weapons had both parts of their swings always be parryable if you were good enough to get the timing.

I've noticed in the dlc that such enemies are immune to parries unless you hit the first part of their swing. This of course does not extend to the player :rofl:

Edit: Mostly talking about Horned Warriors, they're strangely immune to parries with all their seconds swings.

Edited by TheCzarsHussar
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, BigBossBalrog said:

You've already met them XD

Found the guy. Bought some lapis lazuli from him so I can finally get one of those sweet top tier prosthetic upgrades. Now he wants me to feed his bait to the Great Carp, who I encountered once in the lake already and luckily didn’t bother trying to fight. XD 

Killed another Headless at the bottom of the lake. Technically two, but when one died they both did. I concur with @TheCzarsHussar about them being the scariest enemy in any of these games. They’re easier to fight underwater, but the atmosphere and sounds surrounding them are even creepier.

It turns out that the Sabimaru description was dead-on. Thing absolutely melts the Okami warriors. Even the boss one on the tree got her entire posture bar filled before I finished my first attack combo.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

Killed another Headless at the bottom of the lake. Technically two, but when one died they both did. I concur with @TheCzarsHussar about them being the scariest enemy in any of these games. They’re easier to fight underwater, but the atmosphere and sounds surrounding them are even creepier.

They're definitely creepy underwater but fighting them in the dark, hidden places of the world makes me feel like I'm finding the nameless horrors under Moria.

Ironically the least scary Headless is the one at the bottom of the valley just before the mist noble boss, because he's surrounded by ghosts. Every other Headless on land is in this extremely secluded dark place all alone.

• Like 1

They're definitely creepy underwater but fighting them in the dark, hidden places of the world makes me feel like I'm finding the nameless horrors under Moria.

Ironically the least scary Headless is the one at the bottom of the valley just before the mist noble boss, because he's surrounded by ghosts. Every other Headless on land is in this extremely secluded dark place all alone.

You’re certainly right about that. I think the first one is actually the scariest of them all. But the first underwater one caught me off guard and creeped me out, knowing he’d been beneath me every time I’d swam in that pool before.

The one in the Depths does get points for being obscured in the mist, but yeah, the fact that he’s less isolated than the rest does take away from the scare factor. There is even a friendly monk NPC just over the nearby ledge.