Soulsborne Rings Die Twice Thread #14

Favorite of the Carian Royalty  

4 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your favorite of House Caria?

• Rennala, Queen of the Full Moon
    • Starscourge Radahn
    • Lunar Princess Ranni
    • Rykard, Lord of Blasphemy

Here’s a question:  In the Shura ending, do y’all think Wolf would’ve turned around and used the mortal blades to murder Kuro?

On one hand, Kuro is the source of their shared immortality. If Wolf kills him, then he himself will presumably become killable again and obviously be much more vulnerable during his rampage. If his goal is to kill as many people as possible, then it would be more pragmatic to leave Kuro alive.

On the other, Wolf is Shura now and that seems to mean he is basically only driven by a frenzied instinct to kill and- "oh look, a defenseless child…" Killing Kuro would nerf Wolf big time, but he might not care.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

Here’s a question:  In the Shura ending, do y’all think Wolf would’ve turned around and used the mortal blades to murder Kuro?

On one hand, Kuro is the source of their shared immortality. If Wolf kills him, then he himself will presumably become killable again and obviously be much more vulnerable during his rampage. If his goal is to kill as many people as possible, then it would be more pragmatic to leave Kuro alive.

On the other, Wolf is Shura now and that seems to mean he is basically only driven by a frenzied instinct to kill and- "oh look, a defenseless child…" Killing Kuro would nerf Wolf big time, but he might not care.

I don't think he would even need it anymore. The only person able to stand against him would be Isshin, whose lying dead on the floor. The Interior Minstry wasn't able to fight off the a failed  Shura, The Demon of Hatred, so their walking into a meat grinder. I think Kuro is going to be the first to die. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BigBossBalrog said:

I don't think he would even need it anymore. The only person able to stand against him would be Isshin, who’s lying dead on the floor. The Interior Minstry wasn't able to fight off the a failed  Shura, The Demon of Hatred, so they’re walking into a meat grinder. I think Kuro is going to be the first to die. 

I think you’re probably right, there aren’t many people in the world who could kill him at this point even if he is mortal.

But it would mean that Shura Wolf isn’t as unstoppable as I originally thought, since he’s now vulnerable to normal weapons again and possessing the mortal blades doesn’t count for as much.

Then again, in the downer ending, severing the ties of immortality still requires Wolf to feed Kuro the Divine Dragon tears before killing him, so that means just killing him wouldn’t be enough on its own. Forgot that detail.

Never mind, then. Shura Wolf remains unbelievably OP. XD 

• Haha 1

"Soldiers and townfolk alike died by the thousands. Very few survived. Ashina became the setting for the most tragic massacre of the Sengoku era, and, for a long time after, it was said a demon lurked the land..."

Like fuck, how do you even compare to that XD

• Haha 1

Actually, come to think of it, if Wolf’s immortality never gets severed by the Divine Dragon Tears, would even the mortal blades be enough to permanently kill him?

We know the mortal blades can put down the infested and other "lesser" immortal beings, but Wolf does get killed by the crimson blade when he first claims it, then just immediately resurrects anyway. It didn’t sever his immortality. Presumably because he gets it almost straight from the source, and when he respawns, he does so by drawing on the life force of others (spreading Dragonrot).

Damn. Wolf may not be killable without dragon tears. In which case, that dude ain’t ever being stopped. Nobody else is likely to even figure out how.

3 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

"Soldiers and townfolk alike died by the thousands. Very few survived. Ashina became the setting for the most tragic massacre of the Sengoku era, and, for a long time after, it was said a demon lurked the land..."

Like fuck, how do you even compare to that XD

Yeah, I think Shura Wolf even beats out the Tarnished. The criteria for permanently killing him is just way too esoteric and difficult.

• Like 2

After giving it some thought, as much as I enjoyed Shadow and the base game,  I think Bloodborne plus Old Hunters is still my favorite experience. For some reason, FROM decided to add all my favorite elements (gothic horror, Lovecraftian horror, the Victorian period, EVERY single stock monster fiction archetype.) and mash them into one glorious horror experience. Sekiro and ER are close behind, however.

bloodborne-f786b652f6e34cca9a686d34825942ba.thumb.png.33387e06b8d76a06be78d54d5f95052a.png

0_2fE12R-_UHx0T3yZ.thumb.jpg.fe23dcdf28e5df790880a296b872e349.jpg

the-beauty-of-bloodborne-v0-21lll1vwm1e81.webp.b60741133e2cb1692809af966bdc7b1e.webp

• Like 1

For me the only difficulty is choosing between Bloodborne and Sekiro as my favorite.

Bloodborne has the best world, best aesthetic, and the coolest and most interesting concept by far, and some damn good combat to boot.

But Sekiro has by far the best combat and is the most raw fun to play. Probably the best story and characters too. With maybe one exception, the weaker boss fights in this game would be high-tier in most the other games, and the best are just miles ahead of the competition.

Elden Ring comes next, and it’s a testament to how good FromSoft games can be that a game I enjoy so much is only my third favorite. Heck, Dark Souls 1 and 3 are very close behind.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

For me the only difficulty is choosing between Bloodborne and Sekiro as my favorite.

Bloodborne has the best world, best aesthetic, and the coolest and most interesting concept by far, and some damn good combat to boot.

But Sekiro has by far the best combat, best bosses, and is the most raw fun to play. Probably the best story and characters too.

Elden Ring comes next, and it’s a testament to how good FromSoft games can be that a game I enjoy so much is only my third favorite. Heck, Dark Souls 1 and 3 are very close behind.

In raw polish, I think Sekiro kind of hits the stratosphere XD But Bloodborne is second best in that area, and I think the flavor carries it alot (but then again, Sekiro has amazing flavor too). Art Direction though, I think it's impossible to choose because their both so amazing. Depends on the mood I'm in, and since I've been watching alot of gothic movies, I'm leaning in that direction. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BigBossBalrog said:

When it comes to bosses, I feel Dark Souls 3 is the only one remotely close to Sekiro. For some reason, they nailed their fucking design during that period. 

DS1, Bloodborne, and Elden Ring all have some bosses that are up there with the best of DS3, but they also have stinkers that drag them down. DS3 has the best consistency of all these.

And then there’s Sekiro up there alone in its own league.

Miyazaki said in a recent interview that Sekiro is the closest he’s ever gotten to his "ideal" combat system, and that he hopes to one day achieve that ideal by drawing more from it and Bloodborne. I was quite happy to read this. Hope he achieves it one day. 

• Like 2

Also for anyone going into the dlc with new characters, I discovered the best way to poise break the giant fires.

Just power stance two straight swords and keep doing the first two L1's, don't do the full combo just give it a delay before doing it over again.

That drops them surprisingly fast

• Thanks 1

Pretty far into my third playthrough of Sekiro now. Some takeaways:

Blazing Bull is my least favorite miniboss. I like all of them to varying degrees, but this one I think is hampered by a tiny arena. The best are the most unique ones: Armored Warrior and O'Rin of the Water.

The Folding Screen Monkeys, while a fun puzzle the first time, are the least enjoyable boss on repeat playthroughs. While too easy to call frustrating, chasing them around does get tedious.

There are no bad areas. Even the obligatory poison swamp is fun with its crazy gun lepers. Ashina Castle is my favorite area, and Senpou Temple is close behind. I like how they are so diverse, but none takes so long to get through so as to overstay its welcome.

Guardian Ape is the best "big monster" fight FromSoft has done except maybe Ludwig. Funny that both of these have a beastly first phase followed by a sword-wielding second. :lol: 

The number of times you face Genichiro is hysterical, but it’s also a testament to how excellent his fight is that it never gets old.

Wolf’s catchphrase "……" is very profound once you dig into the meaning behind it.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, The Good Doctor said:

Pretty far into my third playthrough of Sekiro now. Some takeaways:

Hide contents

Blazing Bull is my least favorite miniboss. I like all of them to varying degrees, but this one I think is hampered by a tiny arena. The best are the most unique ones: Armored Warrior and O'Rin of the Water.

The Folding Screen Monkeys, while a fun puzzle the first time, are the least enjoyable boss on repeat playthroughs. While too easy to call frustrating, chasing them around does get tedious.

There are no bad areas. Even the obligatory poison swamp is fun with its crazy gun lepers. Ashina Castle is my favorite area, and Senpou Temple is close behind. I like how they are so diverse, but none takes so long to get through so as to overstay its welcome.

Guardian Ape is the best "big monster" fight FromSoft has done except maybe Ludwig. Funny that both of these have a beastly first phase followed by a sword-wielding second. :lol: 

The number of times you face Genichiro is hysterical, but it’s also a testament to how excellent his fight is that it never gets old.

Wolf’s catchphrase "……" is very profound once you dig into the meaning behind it.

"Group of dots."

~Sekiro

• Haha 1