Soulsborne Rings Die Twice Thread #14

Favorite of the Carian Royalty  

4 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your favorite of House Caria?

• Rennala, Queen of the Full Moon
    • Starscourge Radahn
    • Lunar Princess Ranni
    • Rykard, Lord of Blasphemy

@BigBossBalrog @TheCzarsHussar

IMG_8871.thumb.jpeg.4700c848c4064f8e36fc7bc0d9e2714c.jpeg

This second playthrough was almost a no-death run. Until the very end when Isshin got me with his phase 2 flame attacks. That fight ended up taking me three attempts.

That ending was wicked. Badass as hell, though definitely one of the most overtly evil ones in a FromSoft game. I guess Owl went and killed Genichiro for the black blade, which I find it really funny that it would be so one-sided that it’s just left offscreen. XD Sekiro backstabbing him in the middle of his Darth Vader speech was a poetic way for his part in the story to end.

And now Sekiro/Shura is in possession of the only two weapons that can put him down for good. In other words, he is now unstoppable. What a crazy direction for things to turn!

As for the fights, I greatly enjoyed the combo of Emma and old Isshin, but not quite as much as Genichiro and the Sword Saint. Mainly because the fire attacks were not as much fun to deal with as the lightning, and killing Emma wasn't as climactic as getting a final showdown with Genichiro. It was very sad, though, as was old and sick Isshin stepping in to try and put us down for it.

Overall, I won’t say it’s my favorite ending (Purification wears that crown). Wolf’s turn to evil feels abrupt and not so well set up, kinda similar to Dragon’s Homecoming where it feels a little detached from the story that was being told. That said, it’s definitely the most shocking ending and will probably be the most memorable too.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, The Good Doctor said:

Hide contents

This second playthrough was almost a no-death run. Until the very end when Isshin got me with his phase 2 flame attacks. That fight ended up taking me three attempts.

That ending was wicked. Badass as hell, though definitely one of the most overtly evil ones in a FromSoft game. I guess Owl went and killed Genichiro for the black blade, which I find it really funny that it would be so one-sided that it’s just left offscreen. XD Sekiro backstabbing him in the middle of his Darth Vader speech was a poetic way for his part in the story to end.

And now Sekiro/Shura is in possession of the only two weapons that can put him down for good. In other words, he is now unstoppable. What a crazy direction for things to turn!

As for the fights, I greatly enjoyed the combo of Emma and old Isshin, but not quite as much as Genichiro and the Sword Saint. Mainly because the fire attacks were not as much fun to deal with as the lightning, and killing Emma wasn't as climactic as getting a final showdown with Genichiro. It was very sad, though, as was old and sick Isshin stepping in to try and put us down for it.

Overall, I won’t say it’s my favorite ending (Purification wears that crown). Wolf’s turn to evil feels abrupt and not so well set up, kinda similar to Dragon’s Homecoming where it feels a little detached from the story that was being told. That said, it’s definitely the most shocking ending and will probably be the most memorable too.

Several characters warn Wolf about his bad karma and the "shadow of Shura."

The ending narration is so deliciously awesome. "What followed was the most tragic massacre in the entire Sengoku Era. Soldiers and civilians died in the thousands. And it was said a demon stalked the dead Ashina for decades to come." Wolf kills everyone. And is regarded as a the most horrible thing to come out of a centuries long Civil War that killed millions.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, The Good Doctor said:

Hide contents

Throughout the story, Sekiro has been teetering dangerously close to Shura. It was his change of heart and loyalty to Kuro that ultimately saved himself.

Also by using freecam, you can see Owl place the severed head of Genichiro next to Isshin's body XD

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BigBossBalrog said:

Several characters warn Wolf about his bad karma and the "shadow of Shura."

2 hours ago, TheCzarsHussar said:

Throughout the story, Sekiro has been teetering dangerously close to Shura.

I don’t mean when he’s Shura. I mean when he betrayed Kuro. Wolf is only ever loyal and kind to him and Emma throughout the game, so him instantly going from sharing sake and eating rice balls all wholesome-like to murdering Emma without protest came out of left-field. Wolf is not yet Shura when he does this.

Reminds me of Anakin in RotS, how there’s some lip service to the darkness in him, but he goes from a good guy to "sure I’ll murder kids for you" on the flip of a switch. Considering how much shorter this ending is than the others, I think it would’ve benefitted from an extra step to show more of Wolf’s darkness before he commits to doing something so evil.

I like the rest as I’m fairly sure that Wolf is already Shura by the time he fights Isshin. The flames in the arena aren’t caused by Isshin’s flame attacks; they started appearing on their own after Wolf killed Emma.

53 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

Remeber how you only had the choice of obeying the Iron code in that first conversation with Kuro. Wolf does those thing (at first) not to be a malicious bastard but threw his loyalty to Owl. 

The Iron Code is broken no matter what as Owl is sworn to Isshin and betrayed him. But regardless of that I think Wolf’s behavior and characterization up to that point matches better with the version where he rejects Owl than it does when he sides with him.

It’s just a very sudden shift in tone and attitude. And his relationship with Owl isn’t as well fleshed out as it is with Kuro.

Not to say it’s bad by any stretch. I think all the endings are good and work. I just feel like the good one seems more natural to the rest of the game. 

• Like 1

On a different note, while I don’t think the game needs a sequel or that FromSoft would even make one, the obvious best options for a canon ending are Dragon’s Homecoming and Shura.

-Dragon’s Homecoming would be for if you want to keep Wolf as the main protagonist and follow his adventure west with the Divine Child.

-Shura would be for if you want to keep it in Japan and have Shura Wolf as the antagonist.

Both sound pretty awesome.

Also, revising my list a little, I think Shura Wolf is the most powerful FromSoft protagonist. He may not be the only one who is "immortal", but he is the only one who carries weapons that are explicitly for killing immortal beings.

Even the Tarnished doesn’t get that since the Rune of Death is released from the Black Blade by the time he claims it.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

Also, revising my list a little, I think Shura Wolf is the most powerful FromSoft protagonist. He may not be the only one who is "immortal", but he is the only one who carries weapons that are explicitly for killing immortal beings.

Even the Tarnished doesn’t get that since the Rune of Death is released from the Black Blade by the time he claims it.

And he canonically massacre an entire province of people. Turns it into a fucking ghost-land. 

The description of one of the items you get as a reward for beating a gauntlet. 

"Memory of Shura told via Ashina folksong: "Fields of bodies, mountains of dead. Down Dragonspring river, our country bled. A fiery god, demon wolf in red."

• Like 1

I didn’t mention it before, but one last stick in the "Owl is such a bastard" pile is when he acts so respectful towards Emma for the sake of his old friendship with her father… while concealing a fistful of shurikens to throw at her. :rofl: 

He is definitely my favorite villain and a strong contender for my favorite character in Sekiro overall. Owl is very consistent in how he is always putting on a show to distract people from whatever his real motives are. Makes for lots of very amusing cutscene moments.

Also, it was quite badass how Emma saw right through it and deflected the sneak attack with ease. Having grown up in service to the same master, it makes sense that she’d know enough about Owl to not fall for his tricks.

• Like 2

Just finished reading the "Hanbei the Undying" comic. It was good. Definitely fleshes Hanbei out a lot, as well as adding some backstory for Doujun. The main story is about the scheming of an old samurai clan to overthrow the Ashina.

Turns out that Hanbei is very badass. He managed to defeat a wounded man who was almost as good as the Seven Spears. And also beat a man amped up by Doujun’s "red eye" experiments.

Hanbei is not stronger than either, but like a true FromSoft protagonist, he always gets back up and he learns from each time he falls.

The story is very sad, however. It explains how he ended up at the dilapidated temple, and it involves a family he was trying to help and protect, eventually becoming like a father to, all ending up dead.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

Just finished reading the "Hanbei the Undying" comic. It was good. Definitely fleshes Hanbei out a lot, as well as adding some backstory for Doujun. The main story is about the scheming of an old samurai clan to overthrow the Ashina.

Turns out that Hanbei is very badass. He managed to defeat a wounded man who was almost as good as the Seven Spears. And also beat a man amped up by Doujun’s "red eye" experiments.

Hanbei is not stronger than either, but like a true FromSoft protagonist, he always gets back up and he learns from each time he falls.

The story is very sad, however. It explains how he ended up at the dilapidated temple, and it involves a family he was trying to help and protect, eventually becoming like a father to, all ending up dead.

I remember Isshin's cameo were he butchers Hanbei with a single double Ichimonji :rofl:

One of the reasons it was so good was because it was directly supervised by Fromsoft. 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

I remember Isshin's cameo were he butchers Hanbei with a single double Ichimonji :rofl:

Which comes back up at the very end as it is the attack that the Red Eyed villain uses against him. Hanbei remembers Isshin’s attack and knows how to avoid it. Very satisfying. 

• Like 1

@The Good Doctor Ironically, where you say Sekiro has weaker characterization in the Shura ending. I believe Isshin has much stronger characterization here than as Sword Saint.

Sword Saint Isshin only battles you because Genichiro sacrificed his own life to bring Isshin back from the afterlife to rescue Ashina from the brink.

But old man Isshin, while literal minutes from death in normal continuity WILLS himself not only to live a little longer but to full fledge battle Shura. Isshin is giving his last breath to save Ashina from a nightmare beyond the mundane conquest of the Interior Ministry. That's peak Sleeping King / Awakened King mythology XD

• Like 1

11 hours ago, TheCzarsHussar said:

But old man Isshin, while literal minutes from death in normal continuity WILLS himself not only to live a little longer but to full fledge battle Shura. Isshin is giving his last breath to save Ashina from a nightmare beyond the mundane conquest of the Interior Ministry. That's peak Sleeping King / Awakened King mythology XD

Not to mention still fights like a beast. SS Isshin is tougher, but old man Isshin is still handily above anything else you’ll fight on the Shura path.