Soulsborne Thread #13

Favorite of the Golden Lineage  

4 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your favorite Demigod of the Golden line?

• Godwyn the Golden
    • Godrick the Grafted
    • Morgott the Omen King
    • Mohg, Lord of Blood

Just now, ColonelKillaBee said:

i swear autistic kids are the best at souls games

True that. XD In gaming and media circles, I am pretty sure "autistic" is more often used as a compliment than an insult at this point. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, BigBossBalrog said:

*Helps oppressed races live underground*

*Embraces the unwanted and cast out*

*Only asks for a little blood sacrifice in turn* 

Did she do that, or did they do it themselves? How did she help them live underground, and why would they need her help for that? Lots of people live underground in this game, and it seems like Mohg is the one who carved a kingdom out of it.

I don’t know, she seems impassive to me at best. "Formless". Not present. Does she "embrace" the unwanted outcasts in particular? Or are her blessings/powers given to anyone who performs the proper rites and rituals?

The downtrodden turn to her because they cannot turn to Marika, but I don’t think that means she particularly favors them. We also see psychopaths and predators turn to the Formless Mother and get the exact same results.

It wouldn’t surprise me if a Golden Order character like Godrick could’ve just as easily used her powers to oppress the downtrodden if he had been inclined to learn and conduct the proper rites. It certainly works when we use her powers to slaughter them.

10 hours ago, TheCzarsHussar said:

Not only that but she only ever wanted her own blood to be drawn.

The Mother is said to crave all wounds, not just wounds to herself. The Bloody Finger rituals reflect this, as even joining them requires the ritualistic bloodletting of your own finger. Physical pain seems to be an important component of her worship.

I dunno. I’m just not sold on this one. Everyone is critical of Marika because it’s easy to point out problems in "the oppressor" who has all the power, but I think viewing the Formless Mother as a more benevolent alternative just because most of her worshippers happen to be victims is probably off the mark. After all, the Outer God Heirloom does describe her as a "twisted deity" and "horrible thing" borne of suffering.

Mohg used her powers to create a haven kingdom, but I think the credit should go entirely to him. It was his vision. She just provided him powers because he was willing to invoke her through a ritual that set his own blood aflame.

Personally, I don’t think she has any vested interest in what is done with her powers, so long as suffering occurs through the painful spilling of blood. That is what she craves, and everything else strikes me as tangential.

• Like 1

My bro just vindicated me lol, he said he's been playing the dlc on different new game plus characters and even he had to summon, especially when it gets to like new game plus 5 lol, its absurdly hard.

So Ima run on a new playthrough and duke it out in base and redo the dlc from scratch. 

"Even the hardest dick must go flaccid." -Colonelkillabee

15 minutes ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

My bro just vindicated me lol, he said he's been playing the dlc on different new game plus characters and even he had to summon, especially when it gets to like new game plus 5 lol, its absurdly hard.

So Ima run on a new playthrough and duke it out in base and redo the dlc from scratch. 

I’ve heard there’s quite a spike in NG3+ and NG5+ but not so much the lower ones.

For my money, I’m finding that on my regular NG+ character it feels almost identical to base. Apparently enemies have about 10% more health, but I haven’t really noticed it. In both cases the Scadutree level is what makes or breaks the challenge. 

1 hour ago, The Good Doctor said:

Did she do that, or did they do it themselves? How did she help them live underground, and why would they need her help for that? Lots of people live underground in this game, and it seems like Mohg is the one who carved a kingdom out of it.

I don’t know, she seems impassive to me at best. "Formless". Not present. Does she "embrace" the unwanted outcasts in particular? Or are her blessings/powers given to anyone who performs the proper rites and rituals?

The downtrodden turn to her because they cannot turn to Marika, but I don’t think that means she particularly favors them. We also see psychopaths and predators turn to the Formless Mother and get the exact same results.

It wouldn’t surprise me if a Golden Order character like Godrick could’ve just as easily used her powers to oppress the downtrodden if he had been inclined to learn and conduct the proper rites. It certainly works when we use her powers to slaughter them.

The Mother is said to crave all wounds, not just wounds to herself. The Bloody Finger rituals reflect this, as even joining them requires the ritualistic bloodletting of your own finger. Physical pain seems to be an important component of her worship.

I dunno. I’m just not sold on this one. Everyone is critical of Marika because it’s easy to point out problems in "the oppressor" who has all the power, but I think viewing the Formless Mother as a more benevolent alternative just because most of her worshippers happen to be victims is probably off the mark. After all, the Outer God Heirloom does describe her as a "twisted deity" and "horrible thing" borne of suffering.

Mohg used her powers to create a haven kingdom, but I think the credit should go entirely to him. It was his vision. She just provided him powers because he was willing to invoke her through a ritual that set his own blood aflame.

Personally, I don’t think she has any vested interest in what is done with her powers, so long as suffering occurs through the painful spilling of blood. That is what she craves, and everything else strikes me as tangential.

It mentions the Blood Fiends were driven underground by the Hornsent; and that their pact with the formless mother enabled their survival in the new environment (kind of like the Falmer, but less sinister on the Dwemer's part).  If she is impartial; in a setting where divine intervention is often a bad thing, I don't take it as a bad thing XD

ER Tumble right now is legions of Messmer simp posts (usually drawing him in a super effeminate way, being comforted by a female OC Tarnished whose the only one to show him kindness in a thousand years), and you know who incest shipping XD I don't think any of these topics would have gotten so big, if they weren't physically attractive characters :rofl: 

And yeah it really resembles the ASOIF fandom. Kind of uncannily

• Haha 2

29 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

I’ve heard there’s quite a spike in NG3+ and NG5+ but not so much the lower ones.

For my money, I’m finding that on my regular NG+ character it feels almost identical to base. Apparently enemies have about 10% more health, but I haven’t really noticed it. In both cases the Scadutree level is what makes or breaks the challenge. 

I can tell you as someone who has played on new game plus, the difference is noticeable, and I think it’s because of the scadutree stuff. Think about it, they’re adding a whole different scaling option on top of something that’s already been scaled up. That’s 20 scadutree levels, and enemies with varying recommended scadutree levels.

that means for instance someone like Messmer who is recommended mostly around 11 can be 11 times harder (just the additive difficulty differential) than enemies in base that are already a degree harder, whatever that value is. It adds up. 

And to put a point on it, my bro said even overleveling with scadutree buffs, it’s still harder meaning there’s yet another differential in difficulty in the code.

i bet yall will find this to be the case

I also bet most of the people stating that about ng+3 etc summon, and only state those difficulties because they’re getting wrecked even with summons at those difficulties 

3 minutes ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

i bet yall will find this to be the case

I’m already playing it on NG+. XD It doesn’t feel much different at all. Marginal at best.

The difficulty spike of DLC vs base game hits hard until you start leveling Scadu in both versions.

Just now, The Good Doctor said:

I’m already playing it on NG+. XD It doesn’t feel much different at all. Marginal at best.

The difficulty spike of DLC vs base game hits hard until you start leveling Scadu in both versions.

Bruh wait till you get to the meat lol you just started. I didnt think much of it at first either. I raped that lion.

10 minutes ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

that means for instance someone like Messmer who is recommended mostly around 11 can be 11 times harder (just the additive difficulty differential) than enemies in base that are already a degree harder, whatever that value is. It adds up. 

I haven’t reached Messmer yet on my NG+ character, but going off of the Rellana fight, there is no way this is how the math for it works. 11 times the 10% health boost would mean her health more than doubles for each added level of NG+, and I’m certain that she didn’t get that big of a bump. Nothing does. 

I haven’t reached Messmer yet on my NG+ character, but going off of the Rellana fight, there is no way this is how the math for it works. 11 times the 10% health boost would mean her health more than doubles for each added level of NG+, and I’m certain that she didn’t get that big of a bump. Nothing does. 

thats because rellana isnt recommended at level 11 lol

Besides, I never said their health increased like that, I dont know what value they're increasing between the base game and dlc difficulty wise but I never thought it was health. Its more than likely mostly damage and damage resistance.

thats because rellana isnt recommended at level 11 lol

Sorry, I meant his, as in Messmer. Rellana is 4-5, I believe.

It’s more than likely mostly damage and damage resistance.

Not just health. Damage, resistance, and other stuff too. Basically just a universal buff of about 10% to 20%, varying with the enemy. Bosses get more unique tuning.

But the reason people say it gets substantially harder at NG3+ (or maybe it’s 2+, I forget) is because enemy poise gets a special boost at that point, and they become substantially harder to stagger on top of all the bonuses. 

I mentioned health in particular because it is the easiest and most notable difference on its face while playing. If I kill Rellana in 20 hits in NG and it takes 30 in NG+, then that’s a very tangible and measurable difference. More so than her hidden resistances. 

Not that I was counting, of course, or even using the same weapons and build, but the difficulty overall did not feel substantially different. It’ll probably be a long time before I get back to Messmer, but I can report on that when I do. Though I imagine Czar will beat me to it. XD 

2 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

Sorry, I meant his, as in Messmer. Rellana is 4-5, I believe.

Not just health. Damage, resistance, and other stuff too. Basically just a universal buff of about 10% to 20%, varying with the enemy. Bosses get more unique tuning.

But the reason people say it gets substantially harder at NG3+ (or maybe it’s 2+, I forget) is because enemy poise gets a special boost at that point, and they become substantially harder to stagger on top of all the bonuses. 

I can tell you its not just ng+2 and 3, because some bosses and enemies straight dont stagger in some cases.

Hell messmer never staggers. Neither do those omen knight dudes, or the knights in general. The tough enemy variants and bosses. The only enemy i can think of that does is like, the fire knights and weaker variant enemies. They can snap out of it very easily tho and also block and cancel out your attack very efficiently.

1 minute ago, The Good Doctor said:

I mentioned health in particular because it is the easiest and most notable difference on its face while playing. If I kill Rellana in 20 hits in NG and it takes 30 in NG+, then that’s a very tangible and measurable difference. More so than her hidden resistances. 

Not that I was counting, of course, or even using the same weapons and build, but the difficulty overall did not feel substantially different. It’ll probably be a long time before I get back to Messmer, but I can report on that when I do. Though I imagine Czar will beat me to it. XD 

I dont think its a stretch to say that they buffed damage and damage resistances more than health here, no reason to assume the health value matches these two variables if they're trying to balance things in a way that is challenging and not impossible lol

Could you imagine messmer with twice as much health xD 

I can tell you its not just ng+2 and 3, because some bosses and enemies straight dont stagger in some cases.

Thats just a lot of the DLC enemies in general. Even on regular NG. But yes, there is a special effect that starts at one of those which specifically makes all enemies much harder to stagger.

Actually im pretty sure this is indeed the case because Ive watched those x v all base game bosses videos a few times now and the same bosses always perform better with dlc scaling vs base game scaling.

Thats just a lot of the DLC enemies in general. Even on regular NG. But yes, there is a special effect that starts at one of those which specifically makes all enemies much harder to stagger.

Then what theyre talking about hardly matters because those enemies are fodder anyways regardless of not staggering. My bro never commented on those, only the bosses as being noticeably more difficult to kill. All he did say about em is they hit harder, as expected.

I am also not saying new game plus is impossibly hard, as I said I raped bayle with the appropriate level probably because of my buffs.

But when you have bosses that are comboing you for days with only a quarter health left and you consider that on ng+ that stretch wouldve been much shorter lol that makes a big difference, on some bosses more than others, your scadutree buff notwithstanding unless overleveled.

12 minutes ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

Throw in more damage resistances and the boss doing more damage to you as well and that bit of health difference goes even further.

As I understand it, the important difference for bosses still generally amounts to a ~10% difference in damage dealt and resisted, as well as health. So yes, certainly harder across the board but not to such a degree that it is a substantially different experience.

Pre-patch, playing at 1 or 2 points lower Scadutree level actually makes a bigger difference than NG+. Though I’m not sure how it works since they patched it. I should note that my second time killing Rellana was post-patch, and they did buff the early Scadoodles so I was probably stronger at this point in NG+ than I was in NG.

Oh, I totally forgot that they fixed the scaling of the difficulty early on. That would make a big difference for the renalla fight and everything else.

Substantial is subjective tho, I think that the ng+ buff matters quite a bit in the dlc because its end game. Early game in base its easy as hell, but at the end them bosses hurrrt. An easy but fair boss like Horah Lioux for instance was substantially more difficult imo the second time around, same goes for elden beast and placidusax.