Soulsborne Thread #13

Favorite of the Golden Lineage  

4 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your favorite Demigod of the Golden line?

• Godwyn the Golden
    • Godrick the Grafted
    • Morgott the Omen King
    • Mohg, Lord of Blood

5 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

Or just wear alot of the vigor rings/Radahn's great rune XD

Hard to justify using precious talisman slots to make up for a few levels worth of vigor, to be honest. Those things are too dang useful. 

• Like 1

@BigBossBalrog @TheCzarsHussar

I see now why you guys said Ansbach is the coolest human in the game. 

What an absolute badass, showing up like he did, when he did, throwing out all these cold one-liners while kicking ass in the name of his Lord Mohg. He’s definitely right beside Gideon Ofnir for me at this point, but way more honorable and straightforward.

That final battle between all the followers of Miquella was insane! The arrivals of Ansbach and the Simp (who I never would’ve expected to come through), with swelling music and loads of dialogue throughout the fight between all the combatants made for the coolest "NPC fight" in any Fromsoft game ever. A true battle, entirely between a bunch of fully fleshed out characters who all had relationships and strong motivations for being there. Lots of great character work and emotions throughout.

By the end, the chaos devolved into a bunch of mini duels, with the last two enemies standing being Dryleaf Dane taking on both my allies at the same time and a 1v1 between Leda and me. I defeated Leda, turned, and watched Ansbach cut down Dane. The battle ended with silent Dane’s only spoken words of the entire story, an echoing prayer to Miquella. Such a perfect climax to it all.

Also, screeeew the Hornsent, man. When Leda tried to kill him, I took his side and helped fight her off, and his traitor ass is gonna join her in attacking me? I’ll remember that for next playthrough, bitch. Next time I’ll help Leda snuff his ass out in the Shadow Keep.

Freyja and Moore were sadder kills. Especially Moore because dude is clearly dim witted and just wanted to be helpful in doing something good, which Leda led him to believe he was. I liked Freyja but she wanted an honorable death in battle and that’s exactly what she got.

Leda needed to die. She was far too dangerous from the start.

• Like 2

Also, Ansbach’s dialogue at the end definitely makes me feel more certain than ever of Mohg and his kingdom changing a lot after he was bewitched. He doesn’t blame us for killing his lord specifically because he knows Mohg was bewitched and not himself. He blames Miquella's charm.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

Hide contents

What an absolute badass, showing up like he did, when he did, throwing out all these cold one-liners while kicking ass and avenging his Lord Mohg. He’s definitely right beside Gideon Ofnir for me at this point, but way more honorable and straightforward.

That final battle between all the followers of Miquella was insane!

But Ansbach and the Simp showing up in the middle of it, with swelling music and loads of dialogue throughout the fight between all the combatants made for the coolest non-boss "NPC fight" in any of these games ever.

By the end, the chaos devolved into a bunch of mini duels, with the last two enemies standing being Dryleaf Dane fighting being my two allies at the same time and a 1v1 between Leda and me. I defeated Leda, turned, and watched Ansbach cut down Dane, with the battle ending with his only spoken words of the entire story, a prayer to Miquella. Such a perfect climax to it all.

Also, screeeew the Hornsent, man. When Leda tried to kill him, I took his side and helped fight her off, and his traitor ass is gonna join her in attacking me? I’ll remember that on next playthrough, bitch. Next time I’ll help Leda snuff his ass out in the Shadow Keep.

Freyja and Moore were sadder kills. Especially Moore because dude is clearly slow and just wanted to do something good, which Leda led him to believe he was. I liked Freyja but she wanted an honorable death in battle and that’s what she got.

Leda needed to die. She was far too dangerous. 

The Music. Just the music. 

It's one of the most emotional tracks in the game. And it's used in the best possibly way. 

I'd argue it's one of the best set pieces they've done period XD  The fact the NPC's talked between themselves, and about the relationships they built with each other over the DLC just made it so much cooler. Freyja and Ansbach  exchanging words of respect before they kill each other. Thiollier telling Moore he dosen't want to fight him. Like, holy shit they cooked

Or how everyone regards you with fear and respect over the realization they know you're the Erdtree's chosen XD

Ansbach's and Thiollier's arrival are my favorite part. Like your about to be surrounded and killed by your friends and then you get the messages. Followed by...

"I am Ansbach of the pureblood knights. I stand with blade aloft, blood afire. For the dignity of my lord and master Mohg!"

And Thiollier's  apology after invading you. "I'm sorry I ever doubted you. Let's fulfill St.Trinia's wish together!"  CHARACTER DEVOLOPMENT.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

Also, Ansbach’s dialogue at the end definitely makes me feel more certain than ever of Mohg and his kingdom changing a lot after he was bewitched. He doesn’t blame us for killing his lord specifically because he knows Mohg was bewitched and not himself. He blames Miquella's charm.

I think he also says it was an honorable duel between two claimants vying for the throne. It speaks to his knightly diginity that he forgives you. 

In that encounter, Leda's and his interactions are also golden. She acts shocked, and completely dumbfounded by his arrival, and the fact he cares so much about Mohg. Like she can't even comprehend loyalty outside Miquella's love. 

And Ansbach. 

"Good sir Leda, you were right about me.  I could never forget the memories with him, or our bond forged in blood!" 

Like fuck. That's pure, loyalty right there. 

• Like 2

Well put. and I agree. This was easily one of their best ever set pieces. And by far the best on-screen character work I can think of in any of their games.

Yeah, their arrival was the highlight. The fight seems deliberately paced to make you feel like you’ve got this, with just a simple 1v1 between you and Freyja. But then the Hornsent arrives. And then Moore. And the "easy duel" quickly turns into a desperate gank.

Then Ansbach and Thiollier come rushing in, declaring for their lords as they throw themselves into the fray! Epic. Then Dane and Leda arrive and the whole thing just becomes total chaos.

All dialogue exchanges were great, but Ansbach and Leda’s back-and-forth was definitely my favorite. As you said, the way she genuinely couldn’t comprehend in her zeal that someone who has served Miquella could ever hold loyalty to another. And Ansbach responds with such dignity and pride like an absolute boss.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

I’ll say this, I voted Morgott over Mohg as my favorite of Godfrey’s line, but ain’t none of them got a better, more ride-or-die follower than Mohg does in Sir Ansbach.

Like I can't a person like him following Mohg if he was genuinely evil. He seems to be pretty scary sorcrer/warlord, but Ansbach and the benevolent actions of the Formless Mother just seem to be the typical Fromsoft; "this guy looks fucking scary, but he isn't evil."  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, BigBossBalrog said:

Like I can't a person like him following Mohg if he was genuinely evil. He seems to be pretty scary sorcrer/warlord, but Ansbach and the benevolent actions of the Formless Mother just seem to be the typical Fromsoft; "this guy looks fucking scary, but he isn't evil."  

The Formless Mother, is one I’m not entirely sure about. But I am sold on Mohg. All these interactions with Ansbach make it clear that the Mohg we killed is not the one he served. 

5 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

The Formless Mother, is one I’m not entirely sure about. But I am sold on Mohg. All these interactions with Ansbach make it clear that the Mohg we killed is not the one he served. 

*Helps oppressed races live underground*

*Embraces the unwanted and cast out*

*Only asks for a little blood sacrifice in turn* 

By Outer God standards that's pretty benevolent XD 

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

*Helps oppressed races live underground*

*Embraces the unwanted and cast out*

*Only asks for a little blood sacrifice in turn* 

By Outer God standards that's pretty benevolent XD 

Not only that but she only ever wanted her own blood to be drawn. The fact that she even blessed Mohg with her own flaming blood almost makes me think Mohg was her consort.

1 hour ago, The Good Doctor said:

Hide contents

What an absolute badass, showing up like he did, when he did, throwing out all these cold one-liners while kicking ass in the name of his Lord Mohg. He’s definitely right beside Gideon Ofnir for me at this point, but way more honorable and straightforward.

That final battle between all the followers of Miquella was insane! The arrivals of Ansbach and the Simp (who I never would’ve expected to come through), with swelling music and loads of dialogue throughout the fight between all the combatants made for the coolest "NPC fight" in any Fromsoft game ever. A true battle, entirely between a bunch of fully fleshed out characters who all had relationships and strong motivations for being there. Lots of great character work and emotions throughout.

By the end, the chaos devolved into a bunch of mini duels, with the last two enemies standing being Dryleaf Dane taking on both my allies at the same time and a 1v1 between Leda and me. I defeated Leda, turned, and watched Ansbach cut down Dane. The battle ended with silent Dane’s only spoken words of the entire story, an echoing prayer to Miquella. Such a perfect climax to it all.

Also, screeeew the Hornsent, man. When Leda tried to kill him, I took his side and helped fight her off, and his traitor ass is gonna join her in attacking me? I’ll remember that for next playthrough, bitch. Next time I’ll help Leda snuff his ass out in the Shadow Keep.

Freyja and Moore were sadder kills. Especially Moore because dude is clearly dim witted and just wanted to be helpful in doing something good, which Leda led him to believe he was. I liked Freyja but she wanted an honorable death in battle and that’s exactly what she got.

Leda needed to die. She was far too dangerous from the start.

Ah-ha you've reached the climax! And that battle is unfortunately much more enjoyable than the actual final battle.

But Sir Ansbach apparently has the hardest line of dialogue if you summon him and he dies on battle. Beseeching you with his final breath to overcome Miquella and forge an order not of gods, but of men. Ansbach is such a real one XD

• Like 1

It's often tedious to me when a "fellowship disintegrates due to mistrust" trope. But leave it to Fromsoft to make it work in the end, and with Leda being the driving factor of its bloodbath.

Had her sinister nature not unfolded, Ansbach wouldn't have found within him the will to take back up the sword. Had she not desired to kill Hornsent he ends up her ally in the end.

• Like 1

Complete spit-ball here, but what if the Gloam-Eyed Queen isn’t Melina, but instead sealed by Marika behind her eye like the Abyssal Serpent was sealed behind Messmer’s? Hence why it’s always closed with a rune atop.

The Chaos ending after credits scene reveals Melina having opened her bad eye and now plans to deliver us "Destined Death". This could be her own "unleash your devil" moment having broken the seal and allowed the Gloam-Eyed Queen to take over for revenge, much like Messmer and Malenia had.

6 hours ago, TheCzarsHussar said:

It's often tedious to me when a "fellowship disintegrates due to mistrust" trope. But leave it to Fromsoft to make it work in the end, and with Leda being the driving factor of its bloodbath.

The way everything broke down does remind me of the Fellowship of the Ring, now that you mention it. I wonder if that’s intentional, with how many other inspirations this game drew from that world.

• Like 1