Soulsborne Thread #13

Favorite of the Golden Lineage  

4 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your favorite Demigod of the Golden line?

• Godwyn the Golden
    • Godrick the Grafted
    • Morgott the Omen King
    • Mohg, Lord of Blood

Just now, ColonelKillaBee said:

Im kinda disappointed nothing about Melina and the whole destined death thing was talked about, her as the gloom eyed queen, etc.

That whole story thread feels like the single biggest and most glaring omission at this point.

If Melina is indeed the Gloam-Eyed Queen then it would make sense that Marika treated her as a sacrifice. She may have betrayed her back when she was in her "hardcore zealot" phase. 

Repay your transgressions by sacrificing yourself for my plans to make the world better.

In a way thats also what was expected of Ranni. Still unclear of what that connection might be if we assume there is one.

They need one more dlc damnit.

• Haha 1

"Even the hardest dick must go flaccid." -Colonelkillabee

4 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

I hope it’s HBO and I hope it’s animated.

Anything less than a colossal epic-scale production like Peter Jackson did for LotR would not do the Lands Between justice in live action. Animation is much less restrictive.

I think the Castlevania team would suit it well. But if you had the budget, got some of the people behind GoT (the good ones XD) and House of Dragon involved; I think I wouldn't mind a long-form Live Action TV series. It would be really hard to pull off though. I think Pre-Shattering Demigods would make it so they wouldn't have to go crazy on special effects and CGI for the main characters

Really glad to see Martin embrace his role. Alot of authors would be high brow about receiving so much attention from "an inferior medium like video games" but Marin is relishing in it. And now it's likely he's involving himself in an adaption! 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, BigBossBalrog said:

Alot of authors would be high brow about receiving so much attention from "an inferior medium like video games" but Marin is relishing in it.

It’s not Winds of Winter so of course he is. 

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

But if you had the budget, got some of the people behind GoT (the good ones XD) and House of Dragon involved; I think I wouldn't mind a long-form Live Action TV series. It would be really hard to pull off though. I think Pre-Shattering Demigods would make it so they wouldn't have to go crazy on special effects and CGI for the main characters

I’m thinking more of the sets. the HBO shows are the best realization of an epic fantasy world since LotR but even in their case, a lot of the castles and whatnot had to be toned down in their scale and extravagance from how they were described and drawn for the books.

And the Lands Between are arguably even more crazy in scale and "epicness" than most of ASoIaF. To do them right in live action, you’d either have to use a LOT of CGI or tone things down quite a bit. 

Not to say it couldn’t be done. A House of the Dragon quality live action adaptation would be optimal, but just being realistic, animation is probably the easier route to go down. 

• Like 1

As for if the Tarnished is a descendant of Marika and Godfrey. I don't believe it's set in stone, as some of the origins just wouldn't make sense such as the dragonfolk and mimic tear origins. There are others that specifically have them being far removed from the Lands Between such as Reedlander and that one sea fairer.

But the roleplay potential is there. You can always lean heavily on the cut content idea of us being a warrior/priest/mage in the army of Godfrey during his long march. 

20 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

I’m thinking more of the sets. the HBO shows are the best realization of an epic fantasy world since LotR but even in their case, a lot of the castles and whatnot had to be toned down in their scale and extravagance from how they were described and drawn for the books.

And the Lands Between are arguably even more crazy in scale and "epicness" than most of ASoIaF. To do them right in live action, you’d either have to use a LOT of CGI or tone things down quite a bit. 

Not to say it couldn’t be done. A House of the Dragon quality live action adaptation would be optimal, but just being realistic, animation is probably the easier route to go down. 

The scale of ASoIaF castles are just unbelievable. When I ended up seeing their true to book depictions, I was blown away.

It's no wonder they've barely or never exchanged hands across thousands of years of feudalism 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, TheCzarsHussar said:

The scale of ASoIaF castles are just unbelievable. When I ended up seeing their true to book depictions, I was blown away.

It's no wonder they've barely or never exchanged hands across thousands of years of feudalism 

Yeah, that’s something I adore about ASoIaF. Despite being treated by many as a more "grounded fantasy", GRRM is obsessed with making things crazy badass epic in scale. Crazy shit like Stormveil Castle and the Shadow Keep would fit right in without standing out. 

Something I love about House of the Dragon is it makes a much bigger effort to capture that epic scale when it can. The story should be going to Harrenhal very soon, possibly tonight, and I am stoked for that. It is the biggest castle in the lore if I’m not mistaken.

The theory states theyre reborn, as in reincarnated so it doesnt matter where theyre from. 

It just makes too much sense to me for the feel of the game and the place of tarnished to dissuade me from that thinking until something more concrete proves otherwise.

Cause otherwise the mausoleum is nowhere near close to being answered as to why theyre there holding unwanted demigod corpses descended from marika, expecting to be reborn "somewhere else" and to return, as the npc by the first most encounter says.

@ColonelKillaBee I don’t know if you mentioned this as I was avoiding Messmer spoilers at the time, but regarding your debate with Balrog about his relationship with Marika, I reckon it’s worth pointing out that her statue in his quarters is the only one in the Land of Shadows that hasn’t been beheaded.

Like he understands why his men feel abandoned and allows them to indulge in their feelings toward her, but he himself hasn’t given up on her. If he ever does, it’s probably only at the very end when he dies alone upholding what she taught him even as we, the Tarnished, serve as living proof that Marika herself abandoned those ideals and probably him along with them. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

@ColonelKillaBee I don’t know if you mentioned this as I was avoiding Messmer spoilers at the time, but regarding your debate with Balrog about his relationship with Marika, I reckon it’s worth pointing out that her statue in his quarters is the only one in the Land of Shadows that hasn’t been beheaded.

Like he understands why his men feel abandoned and allows them to indulge in their feelings toward her, but he himself hasn’t given up on her. If he ever does, it’s probably only at the very end when he dies alone upholding what she taught him even as we, the Tarnished, serve as living proof that Marika herself abandoned those ideals and probably him along with them. 

Really sad yea but I like to think that she had no choice, being a puppet of the greater will and only being able to indirectly do things after she rebelled.

But yea I believe this is the case, ty for pointing that out

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

Really sad yea but I like to think that she had no choice, being a puppet of the greater will and only being able to indirectly do things after she rebelled.

Sad as it is, I think that she did have a choice. Everything to do with her actions in the Land of Shadows stems from her trauma, fury, and subsequent guilt and shame. Whatever the Greater Will (or rather, as revealed in the DLC, Metyr) might’ve forced on her in the cage of godhood, I suspect this one falls squarely on Marika, herself. Would certainly make her son’s loyalty and faith all the more tragic.

But in Marika’s defense, Messmer’s remembrance suggests that the Abyssal Serpent within him served as another reason to hide him away. Even having sealed it, she was afraid of what her son could become.

"A malevolent snake writhed within Messmer, and so his very mother plucked out his eye and put in its place a seal of grace. Yet, having done so, her fear compelled her to secret away her child within the realm of shadow. Hidden away—keeping company with the original sin, and a hatred that would not be confined."

Considering how long it’s been, I imagine that Messmer had full control so long as the seal remained in place. Could mean that what Marika really feared was Messmer himself. He was loyal, but there was always a chance, however small, that he might turn, and if he did, well, we see in his phase 2 what he is willing and able to unleash. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

Kicking myself for not bringing Placidusax’s breath attack to the Bayle fight to finish him off with.

Killing Bayle with the laser beam would have been the hardest flex known to dragonkind 

Hilariously it's remembrance options are either bugged or ass.

The melee one has a grab hitbox that cannot be dodge in pvp, it grabs through I-frames.

While the spell option obliterates your fp, does a tiny bit of damage, costs two slots and is inferior in every way to a base game counterpart :rofl:

5 minutes ago, TheCzarsHussar said:

@The Good Doctor Go explore the Abyssal Woods already (when you play next) XD

I wanna see your thoughts on its boss

I haven’t found those yet. I’m guessing they’re at the end of the one dungeon I haven’t explored (the one with a special icon). If so, I’ll get to them later. I am on a mission right now. XD 

• Like 1