Soulsborne Thread #13

Favorite of the Golden Lineage  

4 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your favorite Demigod of the Golden line?

• Godwyn the Golden
    • Godrick the Grafted
    • Morgott the Omen King
    • Mohg, Lord of Blood

6 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

Go back to the Castle XD

I have been back. Got some new dialogue with the characters, plus a new questline about curing Kuro, but besides the sun being lower, things aren’t too drastically different.

Just now, The Good Doctor said:

I have been back. Got some new dialogue with the characters, plus a new questline about curing Kuro, but besides the sun being lower, things aren’t too drastically different.

Huh. It must trigger after you beat the Guardian Ape then. 

Killed the Guardian Ape. I’d been spoiled years ago on the phase 2, so sadly didn’t get to experience what a surprise "oh shit" moment that would’ve been. Nevertheless it was tons of fun all around.

And now-

1 hour ago, TheCzarsHussar said:

Here's the question, was all your old warp points still active or did anything change?

- this has happened. Fast travel points in the castle are disabled and both the main gates and the Sculptor’s side passage are locked. The Abandoned Dungeon is still open, so I’m guessing I’ve got to sneak back in through there.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

Killed the Guardian Ape. I’d been spoiled years ago on the phase 2, so sadly didn’t get to experience what a surprise "oh shit" moment that would’ve been. Nevertheless it was tons of fun all around.

And now-

- this has happened. Fast travel points in the castle are disabled and both the main gates and the Sculptor’s side passage are locked. The Abandoned Dungeon is still open, so I’m guessing I’ve got to sneak back in through there.

Enjoy XD

And yeah, Guardian Ape is one of, if not THE, best monster fight they've done. And of course, the second phase is terrifying awesome. 

• Like 1

BTW, if you're still in the mood for Samurai stuff, after this and Shogun, I highly recommend you watch Throne of Blood. It's a Samurai/horror adaption of Macbeth by Akira Kurosawa, and apparently it was a huge influence on Sekiro. Low-key my favorite movie of his.

tumblr_p5qrnlLtxy1qa3emao1_540.gif

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, BigBossBalrog said:

Enjoy XD

And yeah, Guardian Ape is one of, if not THE, best monster fight they've done. And of course, the second phase is terrifying awesome. 

It shows that the Sekiro combat formula can even work with more "Elden Ring"-like bosses and actually improve on them a great deal. 

I’ll be honest, at this point I am hoping their next game plays more like this. Or at least the melee combat does. It is so insanely fluid, it’s the most fun and satisfying time I’ve had with boss fights in a long time, and that’s having just recently beaten Messmer whose fight I loved. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

It shows that the Sekiro combat formula can even work with more "Elden Ring"-like bosses and actually improve on them a great deal. 

I’ll be honest, at this point I am hoping their next game plays more like this. Or at least the melee combat does. It is so insanely fluid, it’s the most fun and satisfying time I’ve had with boss fights in a long time, and that’s having just recently beaten Messmer whose fight I loved. 

HE UNDERSTANDS; HE FINALLY UNDERSTANDS THE PARRY DANCE! 

• Haha 2

sVbn90.gif

Just look at that fucking attention to detail in a simple sword draw. Again, I'll maintain I think Sekiro was their biggest labor of love. It kind of exceeds the other games in those small detail in my opinion. (One that they were thankfully rewarded with when it sold ten million copies). 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

What I want to know is how the Ministry didn’t bulldoze Ashina long ago. XD Pound for pound, their fighters are so much more dangerous that it’s almost comical. 

They were afraid of Isshin. They literally waited till he was on his deathbed to begin their invasion 

I'm sure the Ashina Ashigaru (and by extension, their Samurai and Shinobi) would be putting up better fights if they weren't exhausted from fatigues and months of fighting XD They're super low on supplies and morale. The Fencers, Nightjar Ninja, and Samurai Generals can still put up a good fight. 

But yeah, the Red Guard (the Tokuwaga's Standing Army) are super badass and cool. Kind of hilarious (and awesome) that their bulldozing this supernaturally enhanced army that's resorting to heretical magic just with superior soldiers - with superior training - and better equipment :rofl:

• Like 1

Damn. Makes Isshin all the more badass then, that his health was their biggest reason for holding back.

Probably also doesn’t help that Wolf killed Gyoubu Oniwa, "the demon" who all the soldiers said was singlehandedly holding the first gate, as well as several Generals and sent Genichiro Ashina into hiding.

Considering how early it was established that there were Ministry spies in Ashina, it makes sense that they would’ve immediately learned of these things and launched their assault before Ashina had time to recover. Especially since the shifting from morning to evening implies that this whole game has taken place in a single day so far. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

It’s crazy that these are his normal footsoldiers. These guys were like terminators to the normal Ashina grunts. 

Again, it's battle-hardened professional soldiers who've fought over and conquered all of Japan vs starving conscripts XDIt's kind of scary watching them butcher the fleeing and crying grunts in total silence.  

• Like 1

Just now, BigBossBalrog said:

Again, it's battle-hardened professional soldiers who've fought over and conquered all of Japan vs starving conscripts XDIt's kind of scary watching them butcher the fleeing and crying grunts in total silence.  

The Ashina are battle hardened too. But I guess they’re not as well-trained aside from the bosses.

It is really cool that these guys are just cleaning house without any apparent magic or heretical arts. Just skill and the element of surprise. 

13 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

Damn. Makes Isshin all the more badass then, that his health was their biggest reason for holding back.

Probably also doesn’t help that Wolf killed Gyoubu Oniwa, "the demon" who all the soldiers said was singlehandedly holding the first gate, as well as several Generals and Genichiro Ashina.

Considering how early they established that there were Ministry spies in Ashina, it makes sense that they would’ve immediately learned of these things and launched their assault before Ashina had time to recover. Especially since the shifting from morning to evening implies that this whole game has taken place in a single day so far. 

And remember, he's been spending the entire invasion going on a masked killing spree XD That being said, it's simply impossible to root out all the rats. And they probably know Isshin can only do so much now.  I love that little detail: he's unwilling to sell his humanity like Genciero, but on the verge of death, he's doing everything he physically can to protect Ashina.

Remeber, what's happening at the Castle is just the tip of the spear (the full invasion hasn't come...yet XD). You can overhear dialogue that says the covert contingent infiltrated the castle by swimming through the moat, and launched a surprise attack against the garrison...probably, like you said, in response to learning Wolf's been killing all of their key commanders and weakening their defenses further. 

• Like 1

That’s right, a guy did say that they came through the moat. That explains why it’s just parts of the castle and not the whole thing or the outskirts. This is just a few "strike teams" cutting their way into the castle.

Begs the question of what their goal is? I know they’ve been taking out the hawk ninjas, but I doubt that’s what they’re here for. Reckon they either want to assassinate Isshin or kill/abduct Kuro (if they know what his blood represents) before launching a full invasion. Guess I’ll find out soon. XD 

On another note, I killed a Headless at the bottom of a pond. Very creepy but also fun fight. The though a lot easier than fighting Headless on land. 

• Like 1