Soulsborne Thread #13

Favorite of the Golden Lineage  

4 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your favorite Demigod of the Golden line?

• Godwyn the Golden
    • Godrick the Grafted
    • Morgott the Omen King
    • Mohg, Lord of Blood

6 hours ago, TheCzarsHussar said:

Anyone else have any new characters along with lore?

None from me. Though your mindset behind these is pretty much exactly the one I had for my Caelid co-oper. A character who feels like part of the world for players to summon rather than meta’d out just for winning.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

People have been parroting this forever :rofl: There's a rumor, that's kind of preposterous, that Malenia started off as a boss design for a Sekiro DLC, despite the fact Elden Ring's been in production for the same time.

3 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

People have been parroting this forever :rofl: There's a rumor, that's kind of preposterous, that Malenia started off as a boss design for a Sekiro DLC, despite the fact Elden Ring's been in production for the same time.

That doesn’t strike me as preposterous at all, considering how often FromSoft shift assets between their games. There are quite a few enemies in Elden Ring who were originally intended for Dark Souls 3 or Bloodborne.

9 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

That doesn’t strike me as preposterous at all, considering how often FromSoft shift assets between their games. There are quite a few enemies in Elden Ring who were originally intended for Dark Souls 3 or Bloodborne.

It's preposterous because we know about all the enemies that started off as D3 enemies because FROM left it in the files. And they do it consistently. Malenia has no left over code in Sekiro.

4 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

It's preposterous because we know about all the enemies that started off as D3 enemies because FROM left it in the files. And they do it consistently. Malenia has no left over code in Sekiro.

She wouldn’t if they planned and started working on her for a DLC that got scrapped early on, which seems to be the popular theory.

5 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

She wouldn’t if they planned and started working on her for a DLC that got scrapped early on, which seems to be the popular theory.

There would have been references to that in Malenia's files. You can still find remnants of Dark Souls 3 data on the Red Wolves and Ulcer Tree fuckers. 

12 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

There would have been references to that in Malenia's files. You can still find remnants of Dark Souls 3 data on the Red Wolves and Ulcer Tree fuckers. 

Maybe. Depends on how early the idea was scrapped, and how they went about detailing it in the ER files.

There's absolutely no way Commander Niall isn't from the Hornsent civilization. Man uses frost, lightning and storm just like the Sculpted Keepers.

Edit: He even has massive Divine Beast style stomp AOEs

Edited by TheCzarsHussar
  • Like 1

You can’t tell me Malenia wouldn’t have been right at home in Sekiro flower fields with her katana and butterfly rot wings. The theme of rot is in Sekiro as well. 

Regardless tho she’s right at home in Elden ring regardless of her difficulty. One of the coolest here and certainly the hottest ;) unless marika ever makes a true appearance lol

"Even the hardest dick must go flaccid." -Colonelkillabee

I beat Lady Butterfly! :dancing:

That fight is seriously a strong contender for my favorite in any of these games. Right up there with Maria in terms of how perfect the "rhythm" is, and how good it feels once you master the cadence.

Even the "gank" portions are perfectly balanced which FromSoft almost never pulls off, by having so many weaknesses and plenty of dialogue foreshadowing of how to deal with it. It’s just enough of an obstacle to throw a wrench in our assault and keep us on our toes without completely unbalancing the fight or making it feel like an actual gank.

It’s also just downright epic presentation and story-wise. Two elite shinobi, the old mentor and the returning student, going all-in with all their skills and bags of tricks, as the burning temple collapses around them. With loads of buildup, and some great cutscenes. I loved this entire "memory" sequence.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

I beat Lady Butterfly! :dancing:

That fight is seriously a strong contender for my favorite in any of these games. Right up there with Maria in terms of how perfect the "rhythm" is, and how good it feels once you master the cadence.

Even the "gank" portions are perfectly balanced which FromSoft almost never pulls off, by having so many weaknesses and plenty of dialogue foreshadowing of how to deal with it. It’s just enough of an obstacle to throw a wrench in our assault and keep us on our toes without completely unbalancing the fight or making it feel like an actual gank.

It’s also just downright epic presentation and story-wise. Two elite shinobi, the old mentor and the returning student, going all-in with all their skills and bags of tricks, as the burning temple collapses around them. With loads of buildup, and some great cutscenes. I loved this entire "memory" sequence.

Lady Butterfly is cool, but remember she's an early game boss fight. You haven't seen anything yet XD 

But yeah, Sekiro's boss quality is head over heels above most of the other games, I think only Dark Souls 3 can match it. The fights are just so fun and polished. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BigBossBalrog said:

Lady Butterfly is cool, but remember she's an early game boss fight. You haven't seen anything yet XD 

But yeah, Sekiro's boss quality is head over heels above most of the other games, I think only Dark Souls 3 can match it. The fights are just so fun and polished. 

So is Godrick and he’s one of my favorites in Elden Ring. :lol: I’m excited to see what else awaits, though. So far I’ve yet to experience any effects of Dragonrot so I think the playthrough is going well. 

4 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

So is Godrick and he’s one of my favorites in Elden Ring. :lol: I’m excited to see what else awaits, though. So far I’ve yet to experience any effects of Dragonrot so I think the playthrough is going well. 

Remeber, Dragonrot only happens if you die...using your resurrection ability does not affect it, so don't be afraid to use it. 

1 minute ago, BigBossBalrog said:

Remeber, Dragonrot only happens if you die...using your resurrection ability does not affect it, so don't be afraid to use it. 

I’ve used it plenty. Though I usually play a lot more carefully after I do, so that’s probably why I don’t have many "true" deaths yet XD 

Lady Butterfly this morning, Genichiro this evening. It is not fair how fun this game’s boss fights are. XD 

I haven’t beaten Genichiro yet. Only fought him one time after accidentally jumping into his boss arena with only one heal left after clearing the inner castle.

I did beat his first phase, though, and can’t say enough about how good this game does at telegraphing attacks and making fights feel "fair" even on a first attempt. It’s not so much learning through "trial and error" as it is making use of lessons you’ve already learned in increasingly skillful ways.

I also really enjoy fighting the blue-robed samurai mobs. They really let you engage with the game’s swordplay without just instantly dying as the lesser soldiers do.

1 minute ago, The Good Doctor said:

Lady Butterfly this morning, Genichiro this evening. It is not fair how fun this game’s boss fights are. XD 

I haven’t beaten Genichiro yet. Only fought him one time after accidentally jumping into his boss arena with only one heal left after clearing the inner castle.

I did beat his first phase, though, and can’t say enough about how good this game does at telegraphing attacks and making fights feel "fair" even on a first attempt. It’s not so much learning through "trial and error" as it is making use of lessons you’ve already learned in increasingly skillful ways.

Round two bitches XD

Love the exchange at the start.

Genichiro: Perhaps you should serve a more worthy master?

Wolf: (practically growling) Heresy

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BigBossBalrog said:

Round two bitches XD

I did not expect it to come so soon. But it’s awesome the way this fight serves as a barometer for how much better you’ve gotten. The guy who was ludicrously OP at the start is now a very fair and manageable opponent.

5 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

Pulling off the lightning reversal deflection in his fight is one of the coolest and funniest things.

Pre-Lord of Cinders Gwyn: Launching a Pluto sized bolt of sunlight.

Sekiro: Casually reverses it

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, BigBossBalrog said:

Pulling off the lightning reversal deflection in his fight is one of the coolest and funniest things.

I only found the tutorial for that ability after my first attempt against him. Can’t wait to try it when I return for round 2. Gonna be like Zuko redirecting lightning. XD