Soulsborne Thread #13

Favorite of the Golden Lineage  

4 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your favorite Demigod of the Golden line?

• Godwyn the Golden
    • Godrick the Grafted
    • Morgott the Omen King
    • Mohg, Lord of Blood

3 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

By the way, @BigBossBalrog @TheCzarsHussar do either of yall know if reliving boss fights at the shrines runs the risk of increasing Dragonrot?

I’d love to replay some bosses, but I’ll be cautious about it if dying will progress the spread.

It's been an age since I've played Sekiro, but I believe they're separated. Don't quote me on this but I also believe items are not truly consumed during those fights and return at the end 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

Eavesdrop is a nice feature. It gives a lot of character to the enemy mobs, makes them feel like people instead of just mindless obstacles. Wish Elden Ring had it.

Eavesdrops in Elden Ring: "Hnnng uuuehgh, eeeh?"~Soldier or Godrick 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, The Good Doctor said:

Battlefield made me think of Radahn. Completely littered with the corpses of those who failed to get past him. Man loved his job. XD 

And the buildup was good. Was cool eavesdropping on soldiers along the way and hearing them whisper of how nobody would get into Ashina castle because "the demon" guarding the gate. Kinda surprising so much hype would go into such an easy boss, but it’s clear that lore-wise, this guy was meant to be a renowned warrior. 

Eavesdrop is a nice feature. It gives a lot of character to the enemy mobs, makes them feel like people instead of just mindless obstacles. Wish Elden Ring had it.

There's alot of that in Sekiro. One of the advantages of having a more linear game to be honest is the micro details; and Sekiro has tons of that. ER, of course, has it's own advantages, but I would be remiss not to say I missed alot of stuff Sekiro offered. Including quite a bit more polish XD

1 hour ago, The Good Doctor said:

Any other character and this would be accurate, but I will suffer no further slander of Soldier of God, Rick.

We're just primitive beings, unable to understand the majesty of the Greater Will in human form.

• Haha 1

BTW, so you don't get confused, The Interior Ministry that is talked about is the Tokugawa Shogunate (since it's only explicitly labelled that in the files and environment). For context, the Sengoku Peroid (also known as the Warring States) was a centaury of near-constant super brutal warfare; it was more or less a Japanese civil war that lasted one hundred years, one the Tokuwaga Clan would emerge the victor of. Sekiro takes places near the end, after the establishment of the new government in the city of Edo; and the Tokuwaga are trying to conquer one of the few remaining places in Northern Japan that are refusing to bow to them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

BTW, so you don't get confused, The Interior Ministry that is talked about is the Tokugawa Shogunate (since it's only explicitly labelled that in the files and environment). For context, the Sengoku Peroid (also known as the Warring States) was a centaury of near-constant super brutal warfare; it was more or less a Japanese civil war that lasted one hundred years, one the Tokuwaga Clan would emerge the victor of. Sekiro takes places near the end, after the establishment of the new government in the city of Edo; and the Tokuwaga are trying to conquer one of the few remaining places in Northern Japan that are refusing to bow to them.

I am a little confused. Let me know what I’m getting wrong here.

So Ashina is one of the last clans that haven’t fallen to the Tokugawa. They are one of several clans that bows to Kuro, the Divine Heir, who has some sort of holy dragon ancestry.

But the Ashina betrayed Kuro and kidnapped him? Because of his magic blood I’m guessing?

And now Wolf is trying to save Kuro from his former allies of clan Ashina.

So what clan was Kuro a part of? All the flashback memories suggest that he was very close to the Ashina. 

12 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

I am a little confused. Let me know what I’m getting wrong here.

So Ashina is one of the last clans that haven’t fallen to the Tokugawa. They are one of several clans that bows to Kuro, the Divine Heir, who has some sort of holy dragon ancestry.

But the Ashina betrayed Kuro and kidnapped him? Because of his magic blood I’m guessing?

And now Wolf is trying to save Kuro from his former allies of clan Ashina.

So what clan was Kuro a part of? All the flashback memories suggest that he was very close to the Ashina. 

Other way around. Kuro is a member of one the Ashina clan's cadet branches, the Hirata. Kuro has the Dragon-Ancestry, a very rare "blessing" bestowed by the Divine Dragon; a foreign deity that travelled across the sea from China. But Kuro is still sworn to serve the Ashina. 

The last remaining heir of the Ashina's, is Genichiro. He's leading the war against the approaching Tokuwaga, and losing, badly (as you can see XD) He's gotten so desperate, he's resorting to heretical magic and utterly vile tactics...and that includes kidnapping Kuro to exploit his blood. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, BigBossBalrog said:

Other way around. Kuro is a member of the Ashina cadet branches, the Hirata. Kuro has the Dragon-Ancestry, a very rare "blessing" bestowed by the Divine Dragon; a foreign deity that travelled across the sea from China. But Kuro is still sworn to serve the Ashina. 

The last remaining heir of the Ashina's, is Genichiro. He's leading the war against the approaching Tokuwaga, and losing, badly (as you can see XD) He's gotten so desperate, he's resorting to heretical magic and utterly vile tactics...and that includes kidnapping Kuro to exploit his blood. 

Ah, that makes a lot more sense. So in terms of "rank", Kuro is nothing that special to the Ashina. His dragon blood alone is what makes him special.

And the Ashina kidnapped him for his powers to help them win the war, but if he was already from one of their cadet branches, but based on the memories, I’m assuming he was hesitant to let them use his blood. Hence the kidnapping?

I know Wolf was raised by the Owl and assigned to protect Kuro. Were they servants of Hirata or Ashina? Like, would Wolf know Genichiro personally if not for his amnesia?

4 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

Ah, that makes a lot more sense. So in terms of "rank", Kuro is nothing that special to the Ashina. His dragon blood alone is what makes him special.

And the Ashina kidnapped him for his powers to help them win the war, but if he was already from one of their cadet branches, but based on the memories, I’m assuming he was hesitant to let them use his blood. Hence the kidnapping?

I know Wolf was raised by the Owl and assigned to protect Kuro. Were they servants of Hirata or Ashina? Like, would Wolf know Genichiro personally if not for his amnesia?

Owl was an old friend of Isshin's; he fought in their Ashina war of Independence against another clan that was enslaving/occupying Ashina. So yes, Wolf was technically an Ashina retainer; though ones whose "iron code" says he has to be loyal only to his master. 

You can ask Kuro that once you find him XD

And yeah, Kuro's just a scion of a minor noble family. 

There's alot of nuances to the conflict I won't spoil, but it goes very indepth as the story goes in. Very Games of Thrones-esque

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

though ones whose "iron code" says he has to be loyal only to his master. 

And is that master Kuro? I’m assuming so because otherwise Wolf would presumably be serving Ashina instead.

Killed the Blazing Bull, by the way.  Was easy after realizing even his crazy charges can be parried. Poor beast.

Been exploring in and around Ashina Castle quite a bit. The game feels like it opened up quite a bit at this point. I’m in the reservoir at the moment. Got the rope spear thing, now I’m about to kill this other mini boss in the house where I originally found Kuro.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

And is that master Kuro? I’m assuming so because otherwise Wolf would presumably be serving Ashina instead.

Killed the Blazing Bull, by the way.  Was easy after realizing even his crazy charges can be parried. Poor beast.

Been exploring in and around Ashina Castle quite a bit. The game feels like it opened up quite a bit at this point. I’m in the reservoir at the moment. Got the rope spear thing, now I’m about to kill this other mini boss in the house where I originally found Kuro.

Yes. Have you done the Hirata Estate yet? There's alot of context there. 

Prepare yourself! And yeah there's three paths you can take that lead to pretty big side areas from the castle (one of which is completely optional, but very worthwhile). So explore carefully! 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

Yes. Have you done the Hirata Estate yet? There's alot of context there. 

Prepare yourself! And yeah there's three paths you can take that lead to pretty big side areas from the castle (one of which is completely optional, but very worthwhile). So explore carefully! 

I have done everything up to Lady Butterfly. On both my prior playthroughs I always went after her before even reaching Oniwa, and she was a roadblock for me that kept me from progressing.

So this time I decided to progress the main path a little first and try her when I’m stronger. I’d never even beaten Oniwa before trying her on other playthroughs. 

5 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

I have done everything up to Lady Butterfly. On both my prior playthroughs I always went after her before even reaching Oniwa, and she was a roadblock for me that kept me from progressing.

So this time I decided to progress the main path a little first and try her when I’m stronger. I’d never even beaten Oniwa before trying her on other playthroughs. 

Did you find Owl? 

Im only on new game plus 2, and theres definitely a big difference in damage done between this and the previous. The mobs its most noticeable. 

New Game in comparison im sure is a good deal easier. This knight for instance before rellana feels like hes on steroids lol 

• Like 1

"Even the hardest dick must go flaccid." -Colonelkillabee

30 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

Did you find Owl? 

I did. He sent me on ahead to find Kuro.

16 minutes ago, TheCzarsHussar said:

I hope Doc fought Gyoubu in English, that has the worst, funniest dialogue I've ever seen in a From game.

M Y   N  A A A A M E  

I fought him in Japanese. But watching that video, you ain’t kidding. :rofl: 

4 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

I fought him in Japanese. But watching that video, you ain’t kidding. :rofl: 

Activision handled the dub :rofl: There's some highlights, but this time, FROM clearly wanted people to play it in Japanese. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

I love how there are so many corpses and he has no idea that you’re anybody special. He probably roars like that every time someone shows up at the gate. XD 

That's just being a proper Samurai XD

• Haha 1

I won’t be home for the rest of the week so I figured I’d pull a late-nighter and get some Sekiro progress in while I’m able.

Finished clearing out the Ashina reservoir earlier, and then the castle exterior. The rope spear prosthetic is sweet, and I really enjoyed all the human minibosses. The clashing of swords, battling it out to wear down the opponent’s poise while managing your own is very satisfying. Was cool that we could actually chat with the Shinobi hunter down in the starting location before fighting him.

Kept going and found some kind of necromancer down in the depths. Turned back because I could tell that dungeon was gonna be a whole thing.

The bird assassin guys on the Ashina castle rooftops are cool enemies. Gotta be aggressive with them. But the ones who dive bomb you while shrieking are actually hilarious. XD 

I made it into the castle and decided to call it quits for tonight, but am excited to return to it next week. I can see why this is many people's favorite FromSoft game. Now that I’m more comfortable with the mechanics, I am loving it. Next time I play, I’m going after Lady Butterfly. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

He learned the parry dance XD

I think changing my boss fighting playstyle in Elden Ring to make use of the deflecting tear flask helped me a lot this time around. After mostly beating Radahn that way, Sekiro has felt downright forgiving by comparison. :lol: At least the early game. 

Hardest enemy so far has been the miniboss with the spear outside the place we first find Kuro. And that’s more to do with the terrain than him being overly tough. Pretty easy to backstep right over the cliffside, or to attract mobs from down the hill and end up getting ganked. But accounting for those hazards, the fight itself was plenty fair.