Soulsborne Thread #13

Favorite of the Golden Lineage  

4 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your favorite Demigod of the Golden line?

• Godwyn the Golden
    • Godrick the Grafted
    • Morgott the Omen King
    • Mohg, Lord of Blood

Just now, The Good Doctor said:

You’re in the middle of an intense fight with Malenia, heat of the moment, she jumps up for waterfowl dance-

PAUSE

Go online, look up Malenia’s waterfowl dance dodge pattern for a refresher. 

UNPAUSE

Nailed it.

Yeah, I can totally see plenty of reason why they wouldn’t want that. It’s not how they intend the game to be played.

This is a huge overexaggeration lol, that would not work out that way lol and you know it

"Even the hardest dick must go flaccid." -Colonelkillabee

1 minute ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

Whatever merit there was imo is minimal to being able to play and adult lol, 

That’s not impossible even now. We all do it currently. And if you’re "adulting" and your child is about to stick a fork in the electrical outlet, then I say take the L and put the controller down paused or not. :dntknw: They’ve already gotten extra charitable with the sites of grace and stakes of Marika compared to Dark Souls. These games aren’t nearly as punishing as they used to be. 

3 minutes ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

Lol I think yall being disingenuous there if thats honestly your stance but we can agree to disagree

Disagreeing with you doesn’t make me disingenuous. 

I already admitted I understand why you’d rather have a pause button. And even walked back my insult of the chick. I’m not being some sort of hardline elitist here.

I just don’t think that including one makes the game inherently better simply because it makes certain players happier. And I think the reasons I gave are exactly why they left it out, as is their prerogative.

5 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

I already admitted I understand why you’d rather have a pause button. And even walked back my insult of the chick. I’m not being some sort of hardline elitist here.

I just don’t think that including one makes the game inherently better simply because it makes certain players happier. And I think the reasons I gave are exactly why they left it out, as is their prerogative.

I never said any of that tho, I just said the request was legitimate and not a big deal.

Just now, ColonelKillaBee said:

I never said any of that tho, I just said the request was legitimate and not a big deal.

And I never said it wasn’t legitimate. I just don’t think the game necessarily becomes better by catering to it. 

Listen doc I love you to death and I understand where you're coming from, I do, I literally had the same stance as you the first time this came up, but only because I was worried for the same reason balrog was, that the journalists and outside fans would come in and demand more cheese features like a difficulty bar.

However I started this discussion not to agree or disagree with either side, just to state that it wasnt a joke besides the two far extremes of the issue and the people in between have legitimate claims. 

That much we got past, but where my issue is, is the idea that this would take away from the style or feel of the game when whether intended or not and I feel like it must be personally since its in the game and miyazaki could patch it out whenever he wants, but regardless, it doesnt take away from anything, and theres no way in hell with these bosses that pausing and looking stuff up mid fight would actually help, mid combo. 

Even if it did tho, who cares, thats no different than people deciding to run a mage build or using summons. Those things go against what people think the feel of the game is far more than just pausing it

3 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

And I never said it wasn’t legitimate. I just don’t think the game necessarily becomes better by catering to it. 

I never said this either tho, where is that position coming from. All I said was it may as well be included because its already there, but hidden. If it was a glitch or mistake I could understand that but the games been out for two years now.

Once again to be perfectly clear, I dont think it has to have this feature or needs this feature, but I sure would like it personally and dont feel its a joke as balrog said to request it when its already technically in the game.

38 minutes ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

it doesnt take away from anything, and theres no way in hell with these bosses that pausing and looking stuff up mid fight would actually help, mid combo. 

I disagree. It’s not something I’d want to do, but I can think of many instances when it would’ve been invaluable to be able to quickly look up the strat to deal with a particular attack. Because memorization is hard and takes some work. And even just having the ability to pause, take a breath, and collect your thoughts during a fight can be valuable when you’re getting all stressed and sweaty.

There is definitely a unique intensity to going into fights knowing that there is no escape or rest until you either win or you die. The option to pause, while undeniably convenient for OOG reasons, would remove that. I am not saying it would completely upend the tone or feel of the game, or ruin it, or change everything in some drastic way, but it would reduce that intensity and lower the "in the moment" stakes in a particular way. 

That’s why I came around to preferring it remain out. I like it the way it is, personally. I don’t feel this is "ridiculous" of me, nor do I think it’s ridiculous of you to feel the opposite. We just value it differently. That’s fine.

I know it’s technically available through this obscure tutorial menu trick, but that is not particularly accessible in the heat of the combat and, being honest, I’d never think to use it in the middle of a fight the way I would a conventional pause button. I have no idea whether it’s intentional by Miyazaki or an oversight, and don’t particularly care. I just know that I’m happy with the end result being that pausing the game isn’t something that I’ve ever been able to do while playing. 

Also Godrick fight is indeed much better than I remember, it’s great lol, and funny as hell. Also boy he abuses that delayed hit thing so bad lmfao it’s really funny. Not hard tho of course, all around enjoyable 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

XD Gimme the link for the subscription

I would, but even trying to go on the website on mobile just takes me straight by to the App. 

It’s just HBO Max. Or just "Max" now. 

New episode is tonight. :D 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

Also Godrick fight is indeed much better than I remember, it’s great lol, and funny as hell. Also boy he abuses that delayed hit thing so bad lmfao it’s really funny. Not hard tho of course, all around enjoyable 

Delayed attacks are one of my bigger gripes with lots of ER bosses in general. But apart from that, his is just a lot of fun and generally feels very fair and well balanced. Plus, yeah, dude’s hilarious. XD 

Speaking of hilarious, I’ve been steady watching more of Elden Ring videos by that channel you posted earlier. The one with the AI voiced skits. Those things are a trip. :rofl: Any episode with Godfrey and Radahn or Ranni and Melina is great. 

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

this made me wanna try parrying

If you want some good practice, go parry all the Winter Lanterns in the Abyssal Woods. They’re usually invincible, but a successful parry make them vulnerable. Thanks player messages! :D 

I cleared the whole area of them. One drops a unique but kinda worthless talisman.