Soulsborne Thread #13

Favorite of the Golden Lineage  

4 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your favorite Demigod of the Golden line?

• Godwyn the Golden
    • Godrick the Grafted
    • Morgott the Omen King
    • Mohg, Lord of Blood

2 hours ago, BigBossBalrog said:

Joking aside, I think this discourse is kind of stupid. XD

Why is it stupid lol it seems like a legitimate concern to me. Only stupid parts are people asking for a difficulty setting or claiming pausing the game makes it for casuals lol

"Even the hardest dick must go flaccid." -Colonelkillabee

2 minutes ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

Why is it stupid lol it seems like a legitimate concern to me.

I’d call it a very minor concern at best, and just dislike of an intentional design choice at worst. Kinda got swayed in the other direction over the weekend by talking to a friend about it.

That said, I think her response was reasonable. What she said at the time sounded retarded, but she was just using the lingo of her field. In which case, yeah, the lingo is stupid but as she said, blame the people who came up with it, not her.

8 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

I’d call it a very minor concern at best, and just dislike of an intentional design choice at worst. Kinda got swayed in the other direction over the weekend by talking to a friend about it.

That said, I think her response was reasonable. What she said at the time sounded retarded, but she was just using the lingo of her field. In which case, yeah, the lingo is stupid but as she said, blame the people who came up with it, not her.

Which is exactly what we agreed on the first time this came up lol

I thought the same too until I listened to the arguments and it sounds like a small thing now until one of us loses an arm or something lol. Not that they need to cater to people like that obviously, but thats not what is being asked. Just quality of life features for 80 percent of it.

Besides, I said it was legitimate, not a big deal. As I said before my only concern would be the people who cannot stop at just a pause feature or whatever.

I'm honestly so exhausted of the difficulty discourse I might have snapped at her, without meaning too. She makes fair points (albeit ones I'm pretty ambivalent about) I don't mind them adding accessibility features (like font sizes and color grading for color blinded folk), but I'm worried if you give a hand to the journalists, they'll take the whole arm off and start dumbing down everything. 

I get that. But I’m leaning more in the "it’s a deliberate design feature and some people just don’t like it" direction now. There is merit in the choice not to have a pause feature, even if it results in lower QoL for some. It adds to immersion and tension, and also is part of what allows them to have the single and multiplayer features conjoined. 

Basically, I think it’s reasonable for FromSoft to exclude pausing as part of the experience they’re crafting. Even if it’s not to everyone’s liking. 

27 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

I get that. But I’m leaning more in the "it’s a deliberate design feature and some people just don’t like it" direction now. There is merit in the choice not to have a pause feature, even if it results in lower QoL for some. It adds to immersion and tension, and also is part of what allows them to have the single and multiplayer features conjoined. 

Basically, I think it’s reasonable for FromSoft to exclude pausing as part of the experience they’re crafting. Even if it’s not to everyone’s liking. 

I disagree wholeheartedly because one you can already pause technically and two, deadspace

Just now, ColonelKillaBee said:

I disagree wholeheartedly because one you can already pause technically and two, deadspace

You can’t pause the game without quitting out. And I’m not sure what Dead Space has to do with anything.

5 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

You can’t pause the game without quitting out. And I’m not sure what Dead Space has to do with anything.

its exactly like elden ring with the inventory system and it lets you pause, and is just as immersive

2 minutes ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

its exactly like elden ring with the inventory system and it lets you pause, and is just as immersive

In some ways, sure. But the inability to stop things and take a breather at any time does add something to the Elden Ring that Dead Space doesn’t have. I don’t think either is "wrong", just different.

8 minutes ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

Actually no. You can still be attacked when you have your inventory out in Dead Space XD

Just now, The Good Doctor said:

In some ways, sure. But the inability to stop things and take a breather at any time does add something to the Elden Ring that Dead Space doesn’t have. I don’t think either is "wrong", just different.

Theyre exactly the same lol difference is their pause is different, deadspace's is easier to find lol thats it

Just now, BigBossBalrog said:

Actually no. You can still be attacked when you your inventory out in Dead Space XD

No shit xD Thats what I was saying

But you can pause the game, inventory and pause is separate.

Theyre exactly the same lol difference is their pause is different, deadspace's is easier to find lol thats it

Because the Dead Space one is intended to be used to pause the game. I get the impression that this is not the case with ER. 

Just now, The Good Doctor said:

Because the Dead Space one is intended to be used to pause the game. I get the impression that this is not the case with ER. 

watch the video xD 

And principally, if that help button didn’t exist, my point would stand. It’s totally valid to design a game in such a way that it can’t be paused. There is merit to the concept, even if it’s not to everyone’s liking.

Regardless, its there and now because of this discourse, god i hate that word lol, a lot of fans who wished it was there, me included, know about it so they may as well add it in as a feature, I dont think it'd take away from the experience at all, you cant do anything besides pause it.

Whatever merit there was imo is minimal to being able to play and adult lol, and whether we agree on it being in game or not, its still at the very least more legitimate of a conversation and request than adding a difficulty setting or the people who claim its only for casuals. 

Regardless, its there and now because of this discourse, god i hate that word lol, a lot of fans who wished it was there, me included, know about it so they may as well add it in as a feature, I dont think it'd take away from the experience at all, you cant do anything besides pause it.

You’re in the middle of an intense fight with Malenia, heat of the moment, she jumps up for waterfowl dance-

PAUSE

Go online, look up Malenia’s waterfowl dance dodge pattern for a refresher. 

UNPAUSE

Nailed it.

Yeah, I can totally see plenty of reason why they wouldn’t want that. It’s not how they intend the game to be played.

• Haha 1