House of the Dragon Spoiler Thread #1

Just now, The Good Doctor said:

Also, Daemon tripping balls through a haunted castle at night has been consistently funny. When it was revealed the woman he was dream-shagging was his mom it made me legit laugh out loud. XD 

Probably a common Targaryen fantasy tbh

I hate this, watching with yall week by week now because now I cant binge watch and gotta wait 7 fucking days to know what happens xD

His thing with that keep feels very fillery to me lol. Its amusing yea but its also killing me inside to see him bogged down by bureaucracy and political cultural bs of that backwater redneck region lol

And I feel his frustration lol.

• Haha 1

"Even the hardest dick must go flaccid." -Colonelkillabee

I’m loving it. XD Lots of great character development. One of my favorite little tidbits is how every time Simon Strong addresses him, Daemon corrects him with a new, loftier title. First it was "my Prince", then "your Grace", then "King Consort", and finally he’s like "Screw it. Call me King." Rhaenyra is right not to trust him. He’s such an impudent shit and I am here for it. 

And it feels very fitting that during the height of his "I should be king" arc, Daemon is being forced to deal with all the parts of leadership that he despises, but are necessary. The impossible logistics, the people-pleasing, the squabbling lords. All the reasons why Viserys was a better ruler that he will ever be, because all he is good at is conquering and making people fear him.

Gotta put some respect on the rednecks for saying to his, and even his dragon’s, face that they will burn before bending the knee based solely on how scary he can be.

• Haha 1

Im putting myself in his shoes because I could totally see Baldur trying the scary route only to be bogged down in the same situation, were he presiding over areas in Cyrodiil for instance.

Not to take us off topic. But Daemon I can relate to, to sum it up lol.

And yea it very much is a wakeup call, and great for his character development.

• Like 1

Just now, ColonelKillaBee said:

Im putting myself in his shoes because I could totally see Baldur trying the scary route only to be bogged down in the same situation, were he presiding over areas in Cyrodiil for instance.

I would kill to read that story. :lol: 

• Haha 1

Semi-related, Jace winning over the Freys and gaining access to their crossing is big. That is the same bridge that Robb Stark basically died over. It is what will allow the Northmen to enter the game.

And I am so ready for the Northmen to enter the game. It’s not a huge number, I think Cregan Stark said a couple thousand "greybeards", but unlike most other armies in this series, these guys are all battle-hardened from a lifetime of fighting Wildlings. Won’t matter if Vhagar shows up, of course, but I wouldn’t count them out.

I’ve always preferred the Hatfields Blackwoods over the McCoys Brackens, but credit where it’s due, Lord Bracken telling Daemon and his dragon to piss off, turning his back, and riding away with the most defiant expression ever while Caraxes towered behind him was extremely badass. Even Daemon was impressed. He was like "shit, now I need this guy on my team".

• Like 1

I'm liking the witch of the castle showing Daemon how he's fucked up with all the women in his life including his mom. XD I've heard that Alys is likely a Strong bastard, which makes her the anti-Larys, using her spooky powers for good. Though damn, that red goop she keeps feeding him is disgusting. Pretty sure it's weirwood sap and not blood but you never know. 

If he could take it on board, she is doing Daemon a huge favor showing him what a cunt he is. 

It's also good development for Jace because it shows how tied the Strongs are to the old gods and the magic of Westeros. Combining that with Targaryen mojo should be a pretty "strong" combination.

Funny to see Freys that aren't massive tools. Something happened to fuck up that gene pool afterwards.

• Like 1

"If you know me you know I don't keep up with the times. I just go with the flow." - Woody Copeland, life coach

I thought it a nice touch that parading Meleys' head through the streets of KL didn't have the effect they intended. The Dance of Dragons means power to the ones waging it, but for the smallfolk, they're starving and don't like the idea that a god can be struck down. 

With Aemond shutting the gates and letting people starve so that Vhagar can be fed, he could have more trouble at home than from Rhaenyra.

• Like 1

"If you know me you know I don't keep up with the times. I just go with the flow." - Woody Copeland, life coach

48 minutes ago, Celan said:

I've heard that Alys is likely a Strong bastard, which makes her the anti-Larys, using her spooky powers for good.

I wonder. Larys did say that the castle is cursed and it would be a problem for Daemon. If she is his bastard sister or cousin, then what if she is messing with Daemon on his behalf?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Celan said:

I thought it a nice touch that parading Meleys' head through the streets of KL didn't have the effect they intended. The Dance of Dragons means power to the ones waging it, but for the smallfolk, they're starving and don't like the idea that a god can be struck down. 

I know everyone is probably getting tired of hearing this from me, but I think this scene would’ve been better if it had been used to finally have someone address the fact that Rhaenys and Meleys murdered tons of smallfolk in season 1.

The smallfolk acted all freaked out and pissed over "Aegon" killing Meleys, even though it basically avenged the deaths of their friends and families, and was also a major step towards ending the blockade that is the source of their famine. In a war with these "gods" on both sides, theirs was the winner.

I liked the general sentiment, but even just having a few voices in the crowd who felt this way would’ve satisfied me. Really just feels like the show completely forgot that plot thread.

7 hours ago, Celan said:

I'm liking the witch of the castle showing Daemon how he's fucked up with all the women in his life including his mom. XD I've heard that Alys is likely a Strong bastard, which makes her the anti-Larys, using her spooky powers for good. Though damn, that red goop she keeps feeding him is disgusting. Pretty sure it's weirwood sap and not blood but you never know. 

If he could take it on board, she is doing Daemon a huge favor showing him what a cunt he is. 

It's also good development for Jace because it shows how tied the Strongs are to the old gods and the magic of Westeros. Combining that with Targaryen mojo should be a pretty "strong" combination.

Funny to see Freys that aren't massive tools. Something happened to fuck up that gene pool afterwards.

You watch your fucking mouth, wench

DAEMON DID NOTHING WRONG

>.<

6 hours ago, The Good Doctor said:

I wonder. Larys did say that the castle is cursed and it would be a problem for Daemon. If she is his bastard sister or cousin, then what if she is messing with Daemon on his behalf?

I think its more likely that she's been doing this of her own accord at will, whilst others carry on unknowingly.

Only the gods who massacre them, apparently. Not so much the gods who bring justice to the killer. XD 

You'd be surprised how many like being stepped on by their gods lol

Mr Slave Jesus GIF - Mr Slave Jesus Ooh Jesus Christ - Discover & Share ...

Just now, ColonelKillaBee said:

I think its more likely that she's been doing this of her own accord at wiil, whilst others carry on unknowingly.

I think so too, but it is an interesting line of speculation.

Larys doesn’t strike me as the superstitious sort, but leveraging a superstition to his advantage by getting his sister to drug his enemy? Totally something he’d do, if he could.

4 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

Larys doesn’t strike me as the superstitious sort, but leveraging a superstition to his advantage by getting his sister to drug his enemy? Totally something he’d do, if he could.

Although I guess if she was working for Larys, she’d probably just use a fatal poison on Daemon and be done with it.

I think so too, but it is an interesting line of speculation.

She seems more chaotic good to me. When he’s talking about his shadow war, you can see her shooting daggers at him.

I like the idea of local spirits that take out those who trespass, and having the curse of Harrenhal be a lingering presence of the Children of the Forest makes sense.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Celan said:

She seems more chaotic good to me. When he’s talking about his shadow war, you can see her shooting daggers at him.

I like the idea of local spirits that take out those who trespass, and having the curse of Harrenhal be a lingering presence of the Children of the Forest makes sense.

I didn’t notice it until it got pointed out to me, but Daemon’s bed is carved from a chopped down Weirwood tree. Probably contributing to why this stuff is hitting him hardest as he sleeps.

Harrenhal is a hotbed for old magic.

It is refreshing to see this show embrace that side of ASoIaF, since GoT intentionally shied away from it as much as possible.

7 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

I didn’t notice it until it got pointed out to me, but Daemon’s bed is carved from a chopped down Weirwood tree. Probably contributing to why this stuff is hitting him hardest as he sleeps.

Harrenhal is a hotbed for old magic. 

Yes, Alys tells him this. Not sure why he doesn’t just change rooms. XD 

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Celan said:

Yes, Alys tells him this. Not sure why he doesn’t just change rooms. XD 

Ah, I must’ve missed or forgot that detail.

Probably just prideful defiance. Daemon makes it clear in season 1 that he looks down on people who believe in these sorts of superstitions.

Switching rooms would not only mean accepting that he was wrong about the "ghosts of Harrenhal", but also be an admittance that the ghosts actually frightened him. The dragon doesn’t get scared.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I’m only on the first seconds of episode 6, and this might be the most superficial thing ever, but seeing the Lannister army on the march with a battle variant of "Rains of Castamere" playing in the background got me hyped. XD Even back then, with a goofier lord and a much less central role in the plot, they are really badass.

Though it also shows how much the dragons affect the playing field. In Robert Baratheon’s time, such a large and well-trained host would be game-changing for any war. But now, Daemon can stonewall them with just a single dragon.

Lannister said it like a dick, but he’s not wrong; expecting Aemond to assist them with Vhagar is totally reasonable when they all know Daemon and Caraxes are waiting for them. Marching without his aid would just be wasting one of the Greens' best armies.

Also, I checked and it looks like the Lannister twins are played by the same actor. Which is a lot of fun because his demeanors as a stuck-up commander and on the small council are totally different. Good acting.

Finished the episode. Most of the highlights involved Aegon or Aemond, as usual. XD 

Aemond calling out Larys was great and I loved that he put some respect on Otto and immediately summoned him back.

Also really liked the bit where Larys displayed some rare humanity in relating with Aegon as a cripple, even if it was at least partly in order to strengthen his own position.

The scenes Alicent shared with Aemond and Gwayne were both really good as well. Looking forward to finally seeing Daeron.

Gotta say, the Greens might be closer to the "bad guys" of the show, but they’ve honestly been my favorite part of season 2 by far. And that’s without even an appearance from Otto, one of their best characters, in quite a few episodes. I’ve just found their characters way more interesting and stories more compelling.

All that with the exception of Daemon, of course. I’d been hoping for Viserys to show up in his dreams all season so that made me happy. All of Daemon's scenes have been great and I am loving how much development he’s getting from them. Almost every problem in this show can be traced back to his failure to be there for his brother in his hour of need, caused by his inability to deal with grief. It was a huge character payoff for Daemon, if even in a vision, to finally stop running and be there to comfort Viserys.

Still not a fan of Mysaria. Wasn't very surprised with the direction things have gone with her, but I think the way she won Rhaenyra’s trust was too easy, quick, and contrived, so now all the big effects she’s having on the plot feel cheap and not so well-earned. And her constant dickriding of Rhaenyra like a personal cheerleader is lame unless it gets revealed that she’s manipulating her, but I don’t think that’s the show’s intention.

Lots of setup going on, which is fine. The work done in episodes like this are why the more eventful stuff hits so hard.