House of the Dragon Spoiler Thread #1

1 hour ago, Celan said:

I don't see it as that big a deal because she's talking about the whole kingdom being at war and dragons being at war. The scale of destruction is much greater. Though they could have had her give a throwaway line about having no choice but to stomp a bunch of smallfolk to get her freedom.

Killing a couple hundred of Aegon’s civilians is an act of war. Especially since the Greens are propagandists. Otto turned the loss of the Aegon’s heir into a huge win by painting the Blacks as childkillers. He also considered it very damaging to their cause when Aegon hanged just a few rat catchers.

It bugs me that what Rhaenys did was 100x worse but there were no consequences at all. That should have been a slam dunk for the Greens, and hurt the Blacks’ reputation at least as much as the childkilling.

But it just kinda got ignored like it never happened. Reminded me of Cersei blowing up the Sept of Baelor and somehow being made queen afterwards instead of immediately facing an uprising. I’d like Rhaenys way more as a character if the show acknowledged how bad she is to even half the extent that it does Aegon or even Alicent.

3 minutes ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

Daemon likes chocolate.

He’s invited to the cookout and I formerly grant Ser Daemon Targaryen, King of the Narrow Sea, the N word pass

May it never expire

Funnily, Daemon seems like he might be one of the better parental figures in the series when he’s off in Essos just living it up with his family. I think being in Westeros, engaging in all of its BS, "wakes the dragon" in him and brings out his dark side.

3 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

That must be taking some getting used to. XD 

You have no idea XD Maybe won't have to say it for long though, with Charles's cancer. I hate the man, but it must really suck to wait so long for the crown...and then to get cancer a year later. Karma's a bitch XD

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, The Good Doctor said:

Killing a couple hundred of Aegon’s civilians is an act of war. Especially since the Greens are propagandists. Otto turned the loss of the Aegon’s heir into a huge win by painting the Blacks as childkillers. He also considered it very damaging to their cause when Aegon hanged just a few rat catchers.

It bugs me that what Rhaenys did was 100x worse but there were no consequences at all. That should have been a slam dunk for the Greens, and hurt the Blacks’ reputation at least as much as the childkilling.

But it just kinda got ignored like it never happened. Reminded me of Cersei blowing up the Sept of Baelor and somehow being made queen afterwards instead of immediately facing an uprising. I’d like Rhaenys way more as a character if the show acknowledged how bad she is to even half the extent that it does Aegon or even Alicent.

They could have mentioned it again, maybe in relation to Hugh, but I think it's assumed that KL is for Aegon anyway and she was imprisoned, hence = collateral damage of war. The rat catcher thing is not so much about people being killed but the timing of it. They had just made a spectacle of one death and Aegon stole their PR moment and got the news cycle on to something else. 

"If you know me you know I don't keep up with the times. I just go with the flow." - Woody Copeland, life coach

9 hours ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

Daemon likes chocolate.

He’s invited to the cookout and I formerly grant Ser Daemon Targaryen, King of the Narrow Sea, the N word pass

May it never expire

I would make a joke about Daemon's wife and cookouts but you need to just keep watching and not hang around spoiler threads. XD 

• Haha 1

"If you know me you know I don't keep up with the times. I just go with the flow." - Woody Copeland, life coach

3 hours ago, Celan said:

The rat catcher thing is not so much about people being killed but the timing of it. They had just made a spectacle of one death and Aegon stole their PR moment and got the news cycle on to something else. 

But that something else was people being killed. It wouldn’t have been able to steal their moment if it wasn’t seen as a big deal.

But it’s fine. It’s not like I think Rhaenys was as bad as most characters in GoT were by the end. She’s just my least favorite in a really strong lineup, and her ending earned her back some points. That one scene just hurt her for me, since the show is otherwise very good at making even small actions have consequences.