House of the Dragon Spoiler Thread #1

Turns out it’s not even just that the last two episodes got cut. 

Apparently they wrote a 10 episode season, then HBO mandated that they shorten it to 8, then the writer’s strike happened so they were not allowed to edit the script to fit the climax into episodes 7 and 8.

So they basically ended up just cutting it off 8 episodes into a 10 episode script, instead of rewriting the script like Rome did with its second season. 

19 hours ago, The Good Doctor said:

Turns out it’s not even just that the last two episodes got cut. 

Apparently they wrote a 10 episode season, then HBO mandated that they shorten it to 8, then the writer’s strike happened so they were not allowed to edit the script to fit the climax into episodes 7 and 8.

So they basically ended up just cutting it off 8 episodes into a 10 episode script, instead of rewriting the script like Rome did with its second season. 

Aha, that makes total sense. I now feel badly for the showrunners because they're getting criticism for exactly this.

Oh well, I will still watch s3.

• Like 1

"If you know me you know I don't keep up with the times. I just go with the flow." - Woody Copeland, life coach

This is a pretty cool lore video that explains a lot about Valyria and the Faceless Men.

• Like 1

"If you know me you know I don't keep up with the times. I just go with the flow." - Woody Copeland, life coach

4 hours ago, Celan said:

Aha, that makes total sense. I now feel badly for the showrunners because they're getting criticism for exactly this.

Oh well, I will still watch s3.

Me too. It explains a lot about how oddly abrupt the structure feels. I wouldn’t be surprised if that little montage at the end was the only thing they added, so it at least looks like a sort of ending instead of just hard cutting after the scene with Rhaenyra and Alicent.

The scene has no dialogue and probably contains nothing that wasn’t already in the script, so maybe they could’ve gotten it past the strike terms.