Soulsborne Thread #12

Just now, BigBossBalrog said:

As much as I like the open-field gameplay, I think the Shadow Keep proves the Legacy Dungeons will always be were the true heart is. Carefully curated levels are FROM's strength, so I'd like more focus on them in the future. 

That’s why Elden Ring is so great. By having Legacy Dungeons, it effectively gives both. 

• Like 1

Nah I love both. I think what made it stronger is that that keep is like the heart and focus of the map and outside of it are these massive areas curated with different themes. Discovering this keep which at first glance and arrival seems deceptively small inside or simple, rather, is what made it seem that much more impressive.

• Like 1

"Even the hardest dick must go flaccid." -Colonelkillabee

8 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

I'd at least want them to scale down the land-mass a bit; the base game had alot of empty spaces. I think the DLC did a great job of blurring the open space together with the dungeons; and hence comes across as more dense. 

I’m happy with the big land masses. There is something to be said for the sense of awe you get when stepping out onto a vista and seeing a colossal landscape stretching out that can all be explored.

But I would absolutely be in favor of adding more legacy dungeons around the map, especially if they connect different areas in complex ways like the Shadow Keep does. 

• Like 1

Yes the legacy dungeons, and just in general were actually really really fun to explore and discover, I get excited finding them vs before in the base game where its a bit more generic, but even then they were fun and you could expect at least an entertaining fight inside. The dlc tho are all a blast. At best I would say if making the land mass smaller meant more dungeons like the dlc then yea absolutely you could shrink it some.

I think that the base game and expansion was the perfect storm tho, you get the best of both worlds. Its perfect nearly.

• Like 1

Actually Ima say that besides the frozen tundra and not being able to see a goddamn thing there lmfao, and the invisible enemies section blocking off the rest of the bonus content up there, the base game and expansion together gets a near perfect score for design and exploration. Hands down the best in the category of open world. Witcher is up there too, I got nothing bad to say about Witcher 3's open areas, it and the sidequests were almost more fun than the main quest, just being a witcher and doing contracts.

14 minutes ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

I especially want fromsoft to keep this sort of thing up to show others like bethesda how its done.

Skyrim really only needed to make their enemies tougher and more unique and it wouldve held up even longer. 

Elden Ring will for years to come. Decades.

I could see Skyrim lasting longer than Elden Ring for one reason, and it’s not a compliment.

Fromsoft actually makes games at a reasonable rate. If "Elden Ring 2" comes out in a few years and is better than ever, most people might move on to it.

Bethesda still is a fair distance from releasing a sequel to Skyrim 13 years later. If you’re a big TES fan who doesn’t play MMOs, you basically have nowhere else to go.

10 minutes ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

Actually Ima say that besides the frozen tundra and not being able to see a goddamn thing there lmfao, and the invisible enemies section blocking off the rest of the bonus content up there, the base game and expansion together gets a near perfect score for design and exploration. Hands down the best in the category of open world. Witcher is up there too, I got nothing bad to say about Witcher 3's open areas, it and the sidequests were almost more fun than the main quest, just being a witcher and doing contracts.

I lean slightly towards Witcher 3 because the existence of towns and living factions is just something I really like in RPG worlds and is sadly never present in any Fromsoft games.

That said, Elden Ring blows it out of the water in terms of freeform map exploration. There really isn’t much incentive to go traipsing through ruins on your own in TW3. It’s just something you do as part of quests. 

TW3’s side quests are definitely better too, but that’s beside the point in the map discussion. 

• Like 1

@ the theory that we're offspring of Marika reborn and returned to the lands between, there's more evidence of this in the dlc from the Divine Beast Dancing Lion cutscene:

I dont think that's coincidental even though I know it is circumstantial and referring to her kin, both directly and those reborn via the tree, and also Messmer.

6 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

I killed a big Sunflower. Weak boss, but the reward was very interesting. Definitely not where I expected to find this particular item.

I keep seeing people describe it as one ot the weirdest bosses they've ever made XD Especially when they attempt to Gywn it when its a fucking sunflower

7 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

I keep seeing people describe it as one ot the weirdest bosses they've ever made XD Especially when they attempt to Gywn it when its a fucking sunflower

That’s a bit of a stretch. They’ve made some weeeeeeird bosses.

Rellana’s twin blades melted it with the fire attack. And a single cast of "O' Flame" literally took out 80% of its health.

21 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

I dont think its that weird tho when you consider a certain other boss and what this clearly mimics.

think kin

15 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

That’s a bit of a stretch. They’ve made some weeeeeeird bosses.

Rellana’s twin blades melted it with the fire attack. And a single cast of "O' Flame" literally took out 80% of its health.

Those aoe's were very annoying tho, as were the repeated come backs lmao