Soulsborne Thread #12

4 minutes ago, TheCzarsHussar said:

Oh no Mohg is definitely more evil than Gideon. But only because how Mohg looked to want to punish the Erdtree Faithful.

Gideon puts villages to the torch, and pretty much calls his daughter a worthless tool to be exploited. At least Mohg cares about his followers XD

5 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

Gideon puts villages to the torch, and pretty much calls his daughter a worthless tool to be exploited. At least Mohg cares about his followers XD

Gideon is a shittier person, he just doesn't give enough of a rat's ass to inflict the level or horror Mohg was.

I do wish we saw more of Gideon's followers in the base game though, it's only the tiniest sliver with the Omenkiller and Depraved Perfumer at the village of the old men people. It'd have been much cooler if they were at least npcs we could interact with, before Gideon sent them to try and kill us post-maleketh

Edited by TheCzarsHussar
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, TheCzarsHussar said:

Gideon is a shittier person, he just doesn't give enough of a rat's ass to inflict the level or horror Mohg was.

I do wish we saw more of Gideon's followers in the base game though, it's only the tiniest sliver with the Omenkiller and Depraved Perfumer at the village of the old men people. It'd have been much cooler if they were at least npcs we could interact with, before Gideon sent them to try and kill us post-maleketh

There's also the Recusant that invades you early. He's one of his spy's. That and Ensha. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TheCzarsHussar said:

I'd say Mohg was definitely still a very sinister character, seeking to spread his divine faith across the land Dagoth Ur style before Miquella hijacked everything.

How much of that do we know was going on before Miquella started messing with him?

I ask because Ansbach is nothing like any of Mohg’s depraved followers in the base game, and there is no trace of his knightly order. He is outright horrified by what had become of his master, which would make a great deal of sense if it meant their entire world was getting upended.

Mohg was once viewed as the Luminary. I suspect this is what Ansbach was loyal to, and I suspect the culture and goals were very different back then. Especially if Mohg wasn’t himself and Varre is the one who started steering the ship in his stead.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

How much of that do we know was going on before Miquella started messing with him?

I ask because Ansbach is nothing like any of Mohg’s depraved followers in the base game, and there is no trace of his knightly order. He is outright horrified by what had become of his master, which would make a great deal of sense if it meant their entire world was getting upended.

Mohg was once viewed as the Luminary. I suspect this is what Ansbach was loyal to, and I suspect the culture and goals were very different back then. Especially if Mohg wasn’t himself and Varre is the one who started steering the ship in his stead. 

You might be onto something. There's some evidence that Mohg hasn't been seen or at least active in a good long while by the time we find him. From the ghost trying to reach his palace, to Gideon's pondering, and Varre wishing us to have patience until Mohg returns.

Sir Ansbach is even stated to be extremely powerful without resorting to trickery like the dynast nobles and white masks. As per his scythe's description. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

There's a "childhood memory of him" throwing pots of flaming blood at people XD He was likely hardcore; then again, he probably had to be a tough cookie to survive the Shunning Grounds. 

27 minutes ago, TheCzarsHussar said:

You might be onto something. There's some evidence that Mohg hasn't been seen or at least active in a good long while by the time we find him. From the ghost trying to reach his palace, to Gideon's pondering, and Varre wishing us to have patience until Mohg returns.

Sir Ansbach is even stated to be extremely powerful without resorting to trickery like the dynast nobles and white masks. As per his scythe's description. 

There’s also the fact that Miquella needed Mohg to die, but with Malenia down, he lacked the means to kill him.

Urging Mohg to change course and stage an attack on the Lands Between is likely the best way to achieve that. Heck, it’s precisely what leads to the Roundtable investigating and the Tarnished killing him.

But considering that he seemingly spends most of his time cradled up in Miquella’s cocoon, I think the psychopathic Varre and his Bloody Fingers have likely been effectively running things for a good while. Ansbach seems like he once embodied the best virtues of Mohg’s people, yet he feels like he’s from a completely different culture than the one we see.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

There's a "childhood memory of him" throwing pots of flaming blood at people XD He was likely hardcore; then again, he probably had to be a tough cookie to survive the Shunning Grounds. 

That’s tame in the Lands Between. I’m thinking more about the culture and dignity of his people. Having their faith and power rooted in blood magics doesn’t have to mean they were always crazy and sinister like we see in the game.

4 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

There’s also the fact that Miquella needed Mohg to die, but with Malenia down, he lacked the means to kill him.

Urging Mohg to change course and stage an attack on the Lands Between is likely the best way to achieve that. Heck, it’s precisely what leads to the Roundtable investigating and the Tarnished killing him.

But considering that he seemingly spends most of his time cradled up in Miquella’s cocoon, I think the psychopathic Varre and his Bloody Fingers have likely been effectively running things for a good while. Ansbach seems like he once embodied the best virtues of Mohg’s people, yet he feels like he’s from a completely different culture. 

I wish I could find the item that mentions this, but there's something to do with red summon duels that mentions there used to be Bloody Fingers that were honorable and sought noble duels.

When an order of battlefield surgeons who prowl for wounded soldiers to "mercifully" murder them ends up running things, it doesn't surprise me to think that the culture has changed :rofl:

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

That’s tame in the Lands Between. I’m thinking more about the culture and dignity of his people. Having their faith and power rooted in blood magics doesn’t have to mean they were always crazy and sinister like we see in the game.

The Formless mother granted Omens, Albinaurics, and the Blood Fiends succor when everyone else was trying to exterminate them; benevolent acts towards the lost. So I don't think worshipping her is inherently sinister, since Ansbach does so and is an exemplary person. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

It's not even just blood magics. Mohg found comfort and faith in the one being who in turn loved him. The Formless Mother is an interesting Outer God. Delighting in others drawing her blood, which is some weird shit. But the fact that she is the patron of the downtrodden and mournful has to give purpose.

Instead of just burning the world and pain away like the Frenzied Flame

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

The Formless mother granted Omens, Albinaurics, and the Blood Fiends succor when everyone else was trying to exterminate them; benevolent acts towards the lost. So I don't think worshipping her is inherently sinister, since Ansbach does so and is an exemplary person. 

Viking'd

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

Y’all weren’t kidding about the size of Shadow Keep. Place is enormous! Each section is like its own full-sized dungeon.

I’ve also found entrances to three more parts of the map, and reached what I assume is Messmer’s boss room. 

Yeah they really took the interconnectivity meme to the next level XD

Second playthrough Gaius was infinitely worse since I didn't and couldn't use a greatshield.

Bloodhound step cold milady with greatshield soldier spirits made it not maddingly annoying. Still an unfun boss due to its shit boxes, I'll never like it even once it's fixed.

At least bloodhound step made it almost fun dashing around his attacks.

59 minutes ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

I need to do a totally new runthrough of the game, no new game plus. @BigBossBalrog would you be down to help me transfer over some stuff like the old days when Im ready?

After beating the DLC I reinstalled all my mods :( Online no longer works on my characters. Sorry. I'm sure Czar could help you out.