Soulsborne Thread #12

I’ve finally entered the Shadow Keep. Went in the back door, activated the site of grace, then looped back around and stormed the front gate for fun. XD 

The latter was actually easier than I expected. From a distance it looked well-defended, but it turns out that their fire basket dude was the main deterrent. And by now I’ve gotten pretty good at killing those.

1 minute ago, The Good Doctor said:

I’ve finally entered the Shadow Keep. Went in the back door, activated the site of grace, then looped back around and stormed the front gate for fun. XD 

The latter was actually easier than I expected. From a distance it looked well-defended, but it turns out that their fire basket dude was the main deterrent. And by now I’ve gotten pretty good at killing those.

whats your method for the dudes with the armored legs?

"Even the hardest dick must go flaccid." -Colonelkillabee

4 minutes ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

whats your method for the dudes with the armored legs?

Hefty cracked fire pots straight into the basket. It worked exactly like you said, kills them very quickly. 

And almost all of them have a tall ledge nearby that you can lure them to for easy shots. The target is so big that it’s hard to miss even free aiming.

I didnt think about this but has anyone bothered leveling their summons and know what the cap is for those? Mine is level six lmao, gives you an idea where those are, miyazaki mightve limited how useful those can be too, which is what they should do for the base game too

2 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

Is it the Fire Knight sword? If so, I’ll be keeping a lookout for those notes. :lol: 

Its the knight right in front of a big elevator that leads to the "specimen storeroom", thats the best spot everyone has been farming him at apparently lol, I thought I was special xD

5 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

Hefty cracked fire pots straight into the basket. It worked exactly like you said, kills them very quickly. 

And almost all of them have a tall ledge nearby that you can lure them to for easy shots. The target is so big that it’s hard to miss even free aiming.

Oh ok i thought there was another way and I just sucked xD Tho if you use bows at all you can apparently hit the faceplate and bring them down to throw pots in from ground level.

Or spells if you're gay

• Haha 1

Just now, ColonelKillaBee said:

I didnt think about this but has anyone bothered leveling their summons and know what the cap is for those? Mine is level six lmao, gives you an idea where those are, miyazaki mightve limited how useful those can be too, which is what they should do for the base game too

I think I’ve got my summons boost at 8 or 9. And I level all summons to +9 back at the Roundtable hold as well.

Even with that, and even having found some really cool new spirit ashes, I’ve found them very weak in this DLC. I’ve only summoned for a dragon fight, the second red rune bear, and a few open world segments for fun, and their damage output is so bad that they basically only serve as meat shields. 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

I think I’ve got my summons boost at 8 or 9. And I level all summons to +9 back at the Roundtable hold as well.

Even with that, and even having found some really cool new spirit ashes, I’ve found them very weak in this DLC. I’ve only summoned for a dragon fight, the second red rune bear, and a few open world segments for fun, and their damage output is so bad that they basically only serve as meat shields. 

Yea I found that to be the same, but thats ok tbh, at least now they cant carry a bossfight for you. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

Yea I found that to be the same, but thats ok tbh, at least now they cant carry a bossfight for you. 

I agree. Several of them can straight up solo much of the base game’s boss roster  

I feel like this is how they should’ve been tuned all along. They’re nice little distractions to give you a breather, but they don’t survive long and definitely don’t kill bosses for you.

Now I reckon the "meta" for beating bosses without too much trouble is probably just normal co-op like it was back in Dark Souls. I much prefer that.  Or using a sorcery build. XD 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

Ohhh thats how you get here, I see wow, I neeeever wouldve guessed that in a million years. You can see it on the map actually

Since I just made it to Shadow Keep, both entrances, how long do you reckon it’d take me to reach this area if I knew where it was?

Same question for the path to the Fingerprint ruins.

14 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

Since I just made it to Shadow Keep, both entrances, how long do you reckon it’d take me to reach this area if I knew where it was?

Same question for the path to the Fingerprint ruins.

Fingerprint ruins will take longer, takes exploration. The spot Im at you can get to right now at any time depending which direction you go. If you go from the front you gotta fight first lol but its the direct and easiest way. 

When you see boats, youre in the right spot

• Thanks 1

Just had a thought concerning Messmer and Malenia.

They are mirrors of each other, much like Miquella and Marika.

Both are cursed beings yet highly competent when it comes to violence, earning them a place as chief enforcer of their respective "god" (to-be, in Miq’s case).

Both are/were honorable in their own right, but incredibly loyal to the point of forsaking their honor to make sure their god’s plans get enacted. Escalating to the point of committing atrocities.

-On Marika's command, Messmer launched a crusade in the Land of Shadows and put its people to the torch in her name.

-On Miquella's command, Malenia invaded Caelid and eventually dropped the Scarlet Nuke in his name.

Both have their loyalty "rewarded" by being unfairly cast aside afterwards.

-Marika abandoned Messmer to the Shadow Lands.

-Miquella abandoned Malenia to the Haligtree.

Both Marika and Miquella have moved on to new projects, found new enforcers, and have no clear intention of ever addressing their discarded "tools" again. Marika due to her strong emotions of wrath and shame, Miquella due to the total loss of his emotions.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

Just had a thought concerning Messmer and Malenia.

Hide contents

They are mirrors of each other, much like Miquella and Marika.

Both are cursed beings yet highly competent when it comes to violence, earning them a place as chief enforcer of their respective "god" (to-be, in Miq’s case).

Both are/were honorable in their own right, but incredibly loyal to the point of forsaking their honor to make sure their god’s plans get enacted. Escalating to the point of committing atrocities.

On Marika's command, Messmer launched a crusade in the Land of Shadows and put its people to the torch in her name.

On Miquella's command, Malenia invaded Caelid and eventually dropped the Scarlet Nuke in his name.

Both have their loyalty "rewarded" by being unfairly cast aside afterwards. Marika abandoned Messmer to the Shadow Lands. Miquella abandoned Malenia to the Haligtree. Both "gods" have moved on to new projects, found new enforcers, and have no clear intention of ever addressing their discarded "tools" again.

There’s another big similarity too that I can’t mention yet till you fight him

• Like 1