Soulsborne Thread #12

7 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

It’s funny to imagine what’d be going through Messmer’s head when he sees a dude he killed days ago walk back in the room wearing the armor of Marika’s Shadow and the helm of Radahn the Starscourge.

"Well well. You leveled up. Perhaps now you'll be worthy of the mantle of Lord."

"Even the hardest dick must go flaccid." -Colonelkillabee

13 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

It’s funny to imagine what’d be going through Messmer’s head when he sees a dude he killed days ago walk back in the room wearing the armor of Marika’s Shadow and the helm of Radahn the Starscourge.

You can find an item description that says Messmer cared for Radahn as a "little brother" XD

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Reading his item descriptions really paints a different picture of him and his crusade. 

My mans did it all for the queen, for his mother. After what Ive seen and learned I can't blame him for that at all. He and Marika both did nothing wrong!

On 6/2/2024 at 8:56 PM, ColonelKillaBee said:

I’ll probably play it a year later then beat the guy everyone else struggled with in 3-6 tries only to die 60 times to someone everyone else thought was easy

this did not age well lmao

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

Reading his item descriptions really paints a different picture of him and his crusade. 

Reveal hidden contents

My mans did it all for the queen, for his mother. After what Ive seen and learned I can't blame him for that at all. He and Marika both did nothing wrong!

But it's turned him into a broken husk of a person who now despises Marika - who raised him to be a weapon and  turned him into a scapegoat for her vengeance and genocide (she also ripped his eyes out). It's a cycle of violence and revenge.

Just now, BigBossBalrog said:

Hide contents

But it's turned him into a broken husk of a person who now despises Marika - who raised him to be a weapon and  turned him into a scapegoat for her vengeance and genocide (she also ripped his eyes out). It's a cycle of violence and revenge.

again you are oversimplifying it Balrog xD Firstly she ripped out his eye and gave him a seal of grace to prevent the snake he was born with due to demigod birth imperfections from shared genes of the elden lord and queen marika... from eventually taking over his body and making him the monster we saw.

Secondly, while he resented her some he still loved her. No one understood better her hate. I think in fact he was born of it, both him and his sister. Her children had the key to her plans. That flame ever since the original sin gave her the key to her revenge including on the greater will. Which is us.

• Like 1

I can’t think of many directors, writers, or studios who I’d even trust with that. There are so few who are even good, and of them, virtually none who I think would be well suited for that type of storytelling.

Maybe Denis Villeneuve. He’s good at abstract, epic, and low-dialogue storytelling, but I don’t think he’d even want to. Man’s got his own projects and pretty much free rein to pursue them.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

Hide contents

again you are oversimplifying it Balrog xD Firstly she ripped out his eye and gave him a seal of grace to prevent the snake he was born with due to demigod birth imperfections from shared genes of the elden lord and queen marika... from eventually taking over his body and making him the monster we saw.

Secondly, while he resented her some he still loved her. No one understood better her hate. I think in fact he was born of it, both him and his sister. Her children had the key to her plans. That flame ever since the original sin gave her the key to her revenge including on the greater will. Which is us.

"Yet, having done so, her fear compelled her to secret away her child within the realm of shadow. Hidden away—keeping company with the original sin, and a hatred that would not be confined."

Mother...Marika...a curse upon thee."

There's so much hatred infused in his voice; you can tell how much he despises his mother for - in the words of his armor "On his mother's wishes, Messmer made himself a symbol of fear, undertaking the cleansing crusade she desired.

"Direct thy maledictions, thine ire, and thy grief towards me alone."" To turn your child into a symbol like that, is beyond despicable. 

5 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

Hide contents

"Yet, having done so, her fear compelled her to secret away her child within the realm of shadow. Hidden away—keeping company with the original sin, and a hatred that would not be confined."

There's so much hatred infused in his voice; you can tell how much he despises his mother for - in the words of his armor "On his mother's wishes, Messmer made himself a symbol of fear, undertaking the cleansing crusade she desired.

"Direct thy maledictions, thine ire, and thy grief towards me alone."" To turn your child into a symbol like that, is beyond despicable. 

I think you're misinterpreting to whom it means with "a hatred that would not be confined."

The hatred of the Hornsent who brought so much agony to Marika and her son, Messmer.

Edited by TheCzarsHussar
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

Hide contents

Ive said worse to my mom and love her still bro xD also that wasnt aimed at her it was in general.

If he didnt love her he wouldnt have done it. He resented her but went and roasted and crusaded and became that symbol anyway. Did he resent her after sure, after what he became, but he still did it for her

and fact is if she didnt do that to his eye for him he'd be a monster still. I read it as he was born of hatred already and she simply put that and the malevolence he was born with to good use

6 minutes ago, TheCzarsHussar said:

I think you're misinterpreting to whom it means with "a hatred that would not be confined."

Hide contents

The hatred of the Hornsent who brought so much agony to Marika and her son, Messmer.

I feel that can have a double-meaning: talking about the hatred she gave to Messmer, and how it's infected his entire life. 

5 minutes ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

Hide contents

Ive said worse to my mom and love her still bro xD also that wasnt aimed at her it was in general.

If he didnt love her he wouldnt have done it. He resented her but went and roasted and crusaded and became that symbol anyway. Did he resent her after sure, after what he became, but he still did it for her

and fact is if she didnt do that to his eye for him he'd be a monster still. I read it as he was born of hatred already and she simply put that and the malevolence he was born with to good use

"MARIKA A CURSE UPON THEE" It's very directly aimed at her. Throughout the entire fight, he's questioning her decisions: making a Tarnished (one so devoid of Light) into a Lord, than ultimately choosing to release the serpents writhing within him, against her wishes. 

The thing is Messmer seemed to be a stalwart dude before the whole "I'm going to rip your eye out": he's described as caring for Radahn and Gaius like his little brothers, treating his men well, and it's clear he's very resentful of the reputation he now has: probably after realizing his mother consciously turned him into a scapegoat to direct the hatred of the Hornsent ONTO HIM instead of her. 

2 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

Hide contents

I feel that can have a double-meaning: talking about the hatred she gave to Messmer, and how it's infected his entire life. 

"MARIKA A CURSE UPON THEE" It's very directly aimed at her. Throughout the entire fight, he's questioning her decisions: making a Tarnished (one so devoid of Light) into a Lord, than ultimately choosing to release the serpents writhing within him, against her wishes. 

The thing is Messmer seemed to be a stalwart dude before the whole "I'm going to rip your eye out": he's described as caring for Radahn and Gaius like his little brothers, treating his men well, and it's clear he's very resentful of the reputation he now has: probably after realizing his mother consciously turned him into a scapegoat to direct the hatred of the Hornsent ONTO HIM instead of her. 

He certainly did curse her in the end. But at that point he was consumed by his sinister nature, allowing the influence of the abyssal serpent to take him.

A running theme of the dlc is how good intentions are corrupted by what you're willing to self sacrifice.

Messmer, thinking Marika still reining as the undisputed God of the Lands Between was on the verge of losing to the Tarnished and thus failing his mother. He sacrificed everything of himself to fulfill his purpose and put down the Tarnished

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, TheCzarsHussar said:

Hide contents

He certainly did curse her in the end. But at that point he was consumed by his sinister nature, allowing the influence of the abyssal serpent to take him.

A running theme of the dlc is how good intentions are corrupted by what you're willing to self sacrifice.

Messmer, thinking Marika still reining as the undisputed God of the Lands Between was on the verge of losing to the Tarnished and thus failing his mother. He sacrificed everything of himself to fulfill his purpose and put down the Tarnished

I viewed that as him finally just giving up on everything. 

Before he sounds so detached and even "bored" when he kills you: like this all just a job to him, and he's tired of everything 

4 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

Hide contents

Bro speaking from a man that is in constant conflict with his mother, lol I think you're reading too into those comments xD

Like czar said, he's a complex individual. Its just not the vibe I got from his lines. Even when you first meet him he's confused and trying to understand the purpose of you being a lord while he's been tasked to kill those without light and he's doing it dutifully. He might resent her indeed but he still clearly seeks her love and to understand her.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TheCzarsHussar said:

Hide contents

To add to this, just before that fateful moment, what is said?

Forgive me... mother.

• Like 1

This was exceptionally badass.

On my second run of the dlc, this time with my super powerful (but still 165 XD) dex/int character. When I talked to Igon for the first time it was pouring down rain.

But when he roared at the top of his lungs after cursing Bayle it instantly stopped raining. And the clouds parted to a sunny sky

• Haha 2

Just now, BigBossBalrog said:

Next time you get into a fight with your mother, throw a snake at her, and scream "A CURSE UPON THEE!"  XD

Ive said far worse dude xD Maybe in an asian household that seems like a big deal, but trust me its not lol

Im not proud of it and I even call my mother by her first name often. Its not something others like or understand and my friends gf even disliked me for it originally when we met but she didnt have full context.

Trust me, mother and son dynamics can be very toxic.

When I went to Romania she went off about it on facebook and I sent her this: