Soulsborne Thread #12

2 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

The biggest revelation for me from the Fingers quest.

Hide contents

Was the very founding notion of the Golden Order: that it was the Greater Will's...will, was false. Metyr is described as a communicator between the Lands Between and the GR...and a broken one. The item description states it only received a

single message, and afterwards saw false signs and took it as false signs. It could have just been feeding Marika lies. 

not quite. Plus she had the fingers as we know them, themselves who supposedly gave insight into the greater will.

@The Good Doctor remember to read this later after you finish the quest

It doesnt state that signs after were false, it says:

The mother of all Two Fingers and Fingercreepers was in turn a magnificently gleaming daughter of the Greater Will, and the first shooting star to fall upon the Lands Between.

and the crystal ball staff says:

Staff fashioned from the tail-fingers of Metyr, the Mother of Fingers, and the microcosm raised aloft over the crux they form. Catalyst for casting both sorceries and incantations. The Mother received signs from the Greater Will from the beyond of the microcosm. Despite being broken and abandoned, she kept waiting for another message to come.

---

So its possible that they did, its just that she herself didnt.

That said I do think that this is correct, that it wasnt the greater will directly, but the will of the fingers specifically. That is what Ymir is suggesting. However its also equally possible that this isnt the case at all and that whats actually going on is that the greater will either directly decided to influence via the elden ring and she was superceded, or, was forced to bow to the elden ring/elden beast.

That is what I believe is going on. Why? Read this:

The head of Metyr, the finger-mother, wielded as a weapon without modification. From within the center of the fingerprint that wrinkles the creature's foremost protrusion, a tiny wart-like eye gazes vacantly into the beyond.

Ash of war description, Kowtower's Resentment:

Skill performed as a violent bow using a finger's foremost protrusion. Resentment builds as it is forced to bow, making it explode with anger. Hold button down to further increase resentment.

---

So basically, laughably, when you were fighting it, Metyr was bowing to you lmao, either as elden lord, or simply a remnant of the elden ring's grace, since you can still see it and are attached to it either directly via the theory from earlier or just circumstantially.

In other words, I believe that Metyr was abandoned in favor of the Elden Ring/Beast, and she is salty over it. That's why she attacks you. Again its yet another succession crisis.

• Like 1

"Even the hardest dick must go flaccid." -Colonelkillabee

3 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

Indeed, becoming a god in this world sucks. I just find it amusing that the apocalyptic state of things isn’t actually the result of any natural collapse of the world like Dark Souls or (direct) eldritch tomfoolery like Bloodborne.

It’s ultimately because just a small handful of people, two in particular, made personal choices at the expense of everyone else in the world. If there is a GRRM hand in the storytelling, I wouldn’t be surprised if this is it. While Miyazaki loves his more high-level, difficult-to-comprehend metaphysical god stuff, these are the themes George adored, where grand conflicts full of pointless suffering can be traced back to a handful of very "human" individuals doing things that are understandable or relatable.

Robb Stark forsakes an arranged marriage and gets his whole kingdom toppled. Rhaegar and Lyanna run off and it starts a civil war. Jaime bangs his sister and it starts another civil war. Relatable stuff, ya know?

Lol so I'm Miyazaki, you're GRRM lol

And balrog is Hideo Kojima lol

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

not quite. Plus she had the fingers as we know them, themselves who supposedly gave insight into the greater will.

@The Good Doctor remember to read this later after you finish the quest

Hide contents

It doesnt state that signs after were false, it says:

The mother of all Two Fingers and Fingercreepers was in turn a magnificently gleaming daughter of the Greater Will, and the first shooting star to fall upon the Lands Between.

and the crystal ball staff says:

Staff fashioned from the tail-fingers of Metyr, the Mother of Fingers, and the microcosm raised aloft over the crux they form. Catalyst for casting both sorceries and incantations. The Mother received signs from the Greater Will from the beyond of the microcosm. Despite being broken and abandoned, she kept waiting for another message to come.

---

So its possible that they did, its just that she herself didnt.

That said I do think that this is correct, that it wasnt the greater will directly, but the will of the fingers specifically. That is what Ymir is suggesting. However its also equally possible that this isnt the case at all and that whats actually going on is that the greater will either directly decided to influence via the elden ring and she was superceded, or, was forced to bow to the elden ring/elden beast.

That is what I believe is going on. Why? Read this:

The head of Metyr, the finger-mother, wielded as a weapon without modification. From within the center of the fingerprint that wrinkles the creature's foremost protrusion, a tiny wart-like eye gazes vacantly into the beyond.

Ash of war description, Kowtower's Resentment:

Skill performed as a violent bow using a finger's foremost protrusion. Resentment builds as it is forced to bow, making it explode with anger. Hold button down to further increase resentment.

---

So basically, laughably, when you were fighting it, Metyr was bowing to you lmao, either as elden lord, or simply a remnant of the elden ring's grace, since you can still see it and are attached to it either directly via the theory from earlier or just circumstantially.

In other words, I believe that Metyr was abandoned in favor of the Elden Ring/Beast, and she is salty over it. That's why she attacks you. Again its yet another succession crisis.

Ymir's a fucking creep...but (like Micholash) I think he was telling the truth of the universe: it's like a game of broken telephone. The Fingers probably think there hearing from the actual GW, and Marika likely thinks the same...when all their hearing is Metyr's static and false information.  

1 minute ago, BigBossBalrog said:

Hide contents

Ymir's a fucking creep...but (like Micholash) I think he was telling the truth of the universe: it's like a game of broken telephone. The Fingers probably think there hearing from the actual GW, and Marika likely thinks the same...when all their hearing is Metyr's static and false information.  

I dont think its that simple tho,

I dont think that Metyr even communicates with them at all anymore. In fact I think this could be a case of some people hearing the elden ring, communicating via that, and others hearing metyr. 

Because she did used to receive messages, and she was the first as the quotes I showed say, but it eventually stops. That means before there ever was an elden ring or an erdtree, there was metyr.

What does that tell you. She's rendered obsolete. She's not a part of the greater will's will anymore. The elden ring is the center of it. Hence her resentment.

Maybe at one point this was the case, then the elden ring was sent.

9 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

I found another Skadutree fragment during my lunch break today.

@ColonelKillaBee You’re gonna hate me for this. XD That puts me at +11 before ever entering Shadow Keep. 

Nah I aint mad at it, we're tied and both have zones that we havent explored. 

If there is a boss fight in front of me I cant not do it lol I had to try. Plus, you gotta go there to finish that finger ruins quest with Ymir.

That, I had to finish as well. The suffering was worth it

12 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

I’m the same way. Only exception has been Bayle. I put a pin in that one. XD And the fire baskets if those count. 

smart man lol he's vile xD Bayle the typa nigga to hawk tuah before he eats your ass, on the first date.

Thats how I felt first round.

• Haha 1

So doc

I heard you like the twin swords

wanna know something else that goes with that build?

Rotten Wings... insignia.

That with the hold stance talisman thingy you get before her fight, and alexander's pot piece, holy moly

• Like 1

For FromSoft’s next game, which of these combat systems would y’all prefer it to be most similar to?

-Dark Souls/Elden Ring

-Bloodborne

-Sekiro

I kinda want to see an evolution of the Sekiro one, to be honest. Would be the most "fresh" of the lot.

6 minutes ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

So doc

I heard you like the twin swords

wanna know something else that goes with that build?

Rotten Wings... insignia.

That with the hold stance talisman thingy you get before her fight, and alexander's pot piece, holy moly

Way ahead of you. XD 

My current talismans are Rotten Wings + Rellana’s hold stance + Shard of Alexander + Greatshield talisman

Throw in the Golden Vow (boosts damage) and Flame Grant Me Strength (boosts fire damage) incantations, and the DPS output is ludicrous. 

3 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

Way ahead of you. XD 

My current talismans are Rotten Wings + Rellana’s hold stance + Shard of Alexander + Greatshield talisman

Throw in the Golden Vow (boosts damage) and Flame Grant Me Strength (boosts fire damage) incantations, and the DPS output is ludicrous. 

Lol we play very similarly

which works cause same outfit lol

Only difference is I’ve been using the gut sword and blasphemous blade. 

best is that fire knight sword and only reason I don’t always use it is because some enemies are flame resistant 

10 minutes ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

best is that fire knight sword and only reason I don’t always use it is because some enemies are flame resistant 

I’ll probably use this once I get it. I’ve yet to encounter a fire knight. 

Other weapons I’ve been using in the DLC are Backhand Blades, Milady, and Inseparable Sword (for undead and grave birds).

Backhand Blades and Milady (with a certain Ash of War you can find) are very good. They fill the gaps well whenever Rellana’s swords aren’t suited for a fight.

Also played around with the throwing spears and the new martial arts. But that’s mostly just been messing around for fun.

29 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

For FromSoft’s next game, which of these combat systems would y’all prefer it to be most similar to?

-Dark Souls/Elden Ring

-Bloodborne

-Sekiro

I kinda want to see an evolution of the Sekiro one, to be honest. Would be the most "fresh" of the lot.

To this day I still say that souls had the best combat. What I like about bloodborne's is that it fits that setting the most, and the atmosphere and tone. 

But Elden Ring's combat with dark souls style bosses would work fine. And the only real thing thats different between those two is upgraded ashes of war. Elden Ring is basically just souls 4 lol in the combat section that is.

So Im defs comfortable with it, its just the game overall imo could be balanced better. I'd like to see them further develop that.

That said the trick style weapons they could bring back from BB for sure, that was sick and sleek. Would definitely like to see that return too

19 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

I’ll probably use this once I get it. I’ve yet to encounter a fire knight. 

Other weapons I’ve been using in the DLC are Backhand Blades, Milady, and Inseparable Sword (for undead and grave birds).

Backhand Blades and Milady (with a certain Ash of War you can find) are very good. They fill the gaps well whenever Rellana’s swords aren’t suited for a fight.

Also played around with the throwing spears and the new martial arts. But that’s mostly just been messing around for fun.

i found a great hammer that you can chuck xD is hilarious

• Haha 1

Just now, TheCzarsHussar said:

@BigBossBalrog @ColonelKillaBee @The Good Doctor

Y'all really need to make your way into the Abyssal Woods. If you can make it past the horrors that roam the bog, you'll find a mini legacy dungeon with a batshit insane cool boss

In due time padawan xD Its the last area I have thats greyed out but I'll get to it