Soulsborne Thread #12

4 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

Reveal hidden contents

I do, but it only works half the time because he also does his crazy attacks while I’m jumping and defenseless.

His attack where he gets off the horse and they attack simultaneously from the front and behind is insane. 

That was actually the easiest for me to avoid. You can either block all of them with a great shield or roll through. He's vulnerable for a couple seconds after, which made it so I could always heal or deal extra damage to him. 

1 minute ago, BigBossBalrog said:

That was actually the easiest for me to avoid. You can either block all of them with a great shield or roll through. He's vulnerable for a couple seconds after, which made it so I could always heal or deal extra damage to him. 

That’s the nice thing about it. If you survive it creates one of only two consistent attack openings I was able to find in the fight. Guy is relentless. XD 

I got him, though.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TheCzarsHussar said:

@The Good Doctor Love that text wall on the Greater Will. Fromsoft returned to an old concept from Demon Souls, how the power of both sorcery and faith derived from the same otherworldly source. I can't wait for you to finish his quest in full, learn even more deepest lore, and fight the Dragonlord level boss at the end.

Miquella reminds me alot of King Allant. 

2 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

Hide contents

Drinking that gaming water 

:rofl: Keep doing it.

I did. 

The simp attacked me because she was ignoring him and talking to me instead. So I beat his ass and left him laying in front of her.

I’ve exhausted all dialogue now. She wants me to kill Miquella, which works just fine for me! :lol: 

Extra level of spoilers for Colonel in case he’s peaking. You’ll get here soon, I promise. XD 

I thought Trina was dead. Wasn’t expecting to find her alive down here. Poor girl… god… flower… thing. She wants us to stop whatever remains of Miquella from becoming a god out of mercy. I guess that makes sense, considering Marika’s fate and how hard Ranni worked to avoid it.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

I did. 

Hide contents

The simp attacked me because she was ignoring him and talking to me instead. So I beat his ass and left him laying in front of her.

I’ve exhausted all dialogue now. She wants me to kill Miquella, which works just fine for me! :lol: 

Extra level of spoilers for Colonel in case he’s peaking. You’ll get here soon, I promise. XD 

Hide contents

I thought Trina was dead. Wasn’t expecting to find her alive down here. Poor girl… god… flower… thing. She wants us to stop whatever remains of Miquella from becoming a god out of mercy. I guess that makes sense, considering Marika’s fate and how hard Ranni worked to avoid it.

The quest isn't over, but you don't have to do anything (until a certain point, where it will be clear, and then after that you can just talk to her again). 

One of the main themes of the DLC seems to be behind it's sparkle: Godhood is a gilded cage at best, and a soul consuming nightmare that turns the goodest of people into monsters at worst. Miquella is genuine in his desire to do good and build a better world...yet Godhood (and the path of it) is slowly turning him into a monster, and St Trina wants him to die before he truly turns into another Marika.

• Like 1

Miquella and King Allant are both inspired by Griffith, the former is just much more subtle and sinister than the overt latter.

I want to say Demon Souls was originally envisioned as a Berserk game but they didn't have the copyright?

No it was supposed to be an Oblivion Clone...until Hidetaki was given the game, and he turned it into his pet project. The actual story is insane, he did shit like lying to the Sony reps about the difficulty he intended (and they had already deemed it a failure, so he wouldn't have gotten in trouble too much if they found out) and convinced their Sony Games rep to assist him in his deception :rofl:

• Haha 1

Don't read yet Doc, very important lore from the end of Ymir's quest.

Seriously, beat it all first and come back XD

The revelation that the Greater Will is or resides within a Black Hole is such a huge lore moment. There's a lot of hints to there being a cosmic black hole deity from the base game, but I didn't expect it to be the Greater Will.

It's wild that something described as a lightless abyss desires for perfect, golden order. I wonder if Radahn encountered the Greater Will during his conquest of the stats.

5 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

Hide contents

The quest isn't over, but you don't have to do anything (until a certain point, where it will be clear, and then after that you can just talk to her again). 

One of the main themes of the DLC seems to be behind its sparkle: Godhood is a gilded cage at best, and a soul consuming nightmare that turns the goodest of people into monsters. Miquella is genuine in his desire to do good and build a better world...yet Godhood (and the path of it) is slowly turning him into a monster, and St Trina wants him to die before he truly turns into another Marika.

What I find interesting is that Miquella becoming a cold monster devoid of any feeling was a willful choice on his part.

He witnessed his mother, who was the complete opposite: passionate, fiery, full of both love and hatred, create an Order that was often violent and oppressive. There is good in Marika’s Order, but also lots of bad. Because it is a reflection of who she is.

Miquella fears doing the same, so he discards everything, damn near his entire identity, so that when he ascends, there will be no such flaws. But if "perfection" in this world is a Platonic closeness to the Greater "Will", then stripping out his own will is surely a horrible misstep. His "love" left with St. Trina, so he would be a loveless god over a loveless Order.

This is a very well-written story.

• Like 2

Don't read yet Doc, very important lore from the end of Ymir's quest.

Reveal hidden contents

Seriously, beat it all first and come back XD

Reveal hidden contents

The revelation that the Greater Will is or resides within a Black Hole is such a huge lore moment. There's a lot of hints to there being a cosmic black hole deity from the base game, but I didn't expect it to be the Greater Will.

It's wild that something described as a lightless abyss desires for perfect, golden order. I wonder if Radahn encountered the Greater Will during his conquest of the stats.

I aim to continue it tonight or tomorrow if possible.

Please help me remember to come back and read this later!

24 minutes ago, TheCzarsHussar said:

@The Good Doctor Love that text wall on the Greater Will. Fromsoft returned to an old concept from Demon Souls, how the power of both sorcery and faith derived from the same otherworldly source.

If I’m right, then this DLC actually connects all the dots and fills all the gaps really well. I still have a lot to learn, but I think the broad strokes of the story of this world and these characters actually runs really well and is thematically sound.