Soulsborne Thread #12

Just now, ColonelKillaBee said:

I’m mad too cause when I started consistently getting to phase two and realized I could win, that’s when the adrenaline kicked in and started making me fuck up more. Was totally calm otherwise

Crazy what a difference that makes. My day 1 attempts at Rellana were pathetic. Came back the following day in a much calmer state and whipped her butt like it was nothing.

3 hours ago, The Good Doctor said:

Also, on Ymir's questline…

(Plus lore talk down below)

Hide contents

This might be the biggest amount of high-level lore any questline in this game has ever delivered. Definitely this plainly.

Ymir is a creepy old fart, but the fact that he enjoys discussing the nature of the world and answers your questions straightforwardly, already boosts him up as one of my favorite NPCs. I’m sure he’ll betray us or something eventually (his room is full of bloodstains XD), but for now I really appreciate having a character with so much insight who is actually willing to share in his knowledge… Though his comment about not stepping on "the little boy" on my way out was very unnerving… what little boy, Ymir?

Also, his friend might be the biggest edgelord in all of Elden Ring. She dresses like a female Sauron, wields a katana whose blade is made of shadows, and all of her lines are something to the effect of "I’ll help you, but we’re not friends" *flips back hair* "Leave me." Come on Fromsoft, just have her say "Nothing Personnel, Kid" so we know you’re in on the joke. XD 

It seems like Ymir has determined that the Greater Will is not just some cosmic entity but indeed the creator of the entire universe, or at least all life. Which I already speculated was true from the dichotomy between it and the Frenzied Flame. Humanity (or all species of living things?) are not native to the Lands Between, but were "born of Stardust" long ago by the workings of the Greater Will, and eventually arrived or got delivered here.

The Fingers are servants, but like humanity and the "gods", they are imperfect and fickle, and so too was the Order they imposed (using Marika) in service to the Greater Will. Once again strikes me as Biblical. They live in a "fallen world" which Ymir and Miquella both concluded has no hope. Even institutions like the Golden Order/the church which attempt to honor the perfection of their creator are doomed to fall very, very short because everyone within them, even Marika and the Fingers, are rife with mortal shortcomings.

I think one such fatal flaw is Marika’s wrath for those who killed her people. She carried it with her when she helped shape the Elden Ring into its current state, imprinting her vengeful prejudice into the natural order of the world. That’s what much of this DLC seems to revolve around, the "secret horror" of Marika’s past that carried forward into the modern era. I suspect the reasons she never called off Messmer are because 1) she hasn’t, can’t, let go of her hatred for the Hornsent, even though it shames her, and 2) her guilt makes her wish to keep it all buried and hidden away.

Because this sin is an intrinsic part of her, who she is, Marika is physically unable to mend the Elden Ring in such a way that would fix the flaws that she cooked into it. The creation of new runes requires utter conviction, as seen with Fia, Dung Eater, and Golden Mask.

(Side note: This is likely why Miquella "discards" every part of himself in pursuit of godhood; he is attempting to avoid repeating his mother’s mistakes by removing any possibility of flaw or sin within himself, but in doing so he is also removing any semblance of will).

By later in life, Marika regrets much, and feels that her flawed Order is so off the mark from the Greater Will that she is better off shattering the Elden Ring and using grace to aid the Tarnished in restoring it to a better state without her hate and guilt-ridden fingerprints on it. She believes this is possible because, as Ymir’s questline reveals, we too are children of the Greater Will. She sent the Tarnished away from the Lands Between, away from her flawed Order, in the hopes that we would become stronger and wiser without her influence.

I knew you'd like the quest XD (And it isn't over) 

Rarely do you get a discussion on meta-physics and celestial bodies; and TES super seldom does it now, so I found it awesome, they added an NPC whose sole purpose is illuminating it to the player, directly. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

If I were at max that’s not good news. He’s incredibly hard. I found that counting the tempo to his moves helped dodge them. That second phase tho is evil. 

There's a secret back entrance to the Shadow Keep. I believe you find it by exploring the Church District (which also has ANOTHER secret mini-area), which leads to a tough (but managaeable) boss. If you beat the boss and go on your way in the area, it leads to a giant stone offering bowl that has like six Scandu tree fragements. 

1 minute ago, BigBossBalrog said:

Hide contents

There's a secret back entrance to the Shadow Keep. I believe you find it by exploring the Church District (which also has ANOTHER secret mini-area), which leads to a tough (but managaeable) boss. If you beat the boss and go on your way in the area, it leads to a giant stone offering bowl that has like six Scandu tree fragements. 

Oh god

i went through that back area and got in but don’t think I encountered any secret boss. I did find two things tho, one that leads you to the next area to the north west, and another that leads to the finger peninsula I believe.

"Even the hardest dick must go flaccid." -Colonelkillabee

5 minutes ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

Oh god

Hide contents

i went through that back area and got in but don’t think I encountered any secret boss. I did find two things tho, one that leads you to the next area to the north west, and another that leads to the finger peninsula I believe.

That one that leads to the finger peninsula is the one, I think it's called "back door site of grace". You can only access it through the statue by the side room connected to the grace

1 minute ago, BigBossBalrog said:

Hide contents

That one that leads to the finger peninsula is the one, I think it's called "back door site of grace". You can only access it through the statue by the side room connected to the grace

Ohh I see so I was gonna run into that anyway. I was spoiled a bit about the boss then. Gonna rage lol

"Even the hardest dick must go flaccid." -Colonelkillabee

16 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

I knew you'd like the quest XD (And it isn't over) 

Hide contents

Rarely do you get a discussion on meta-physics and celestial bodies; and TES super seldom does it now, so I found it awesome, they added an NPC whose sole purpose is illuminating it to the player, directly. 

I’m loving it so far. It’s got me thinking about and digging into the metaphysics of this series more than anything else so far.

I have a completely unsubstantiated theory regarding the Fingers.

That the gigantic "Fingerprint Ruins" in the Land of Shadows are the spots where the Greater Will literally reached down with his finger and "touched" the earth, and brought life to it in the form of the stardust that would be shaped into mortal kind.

Because "creation" mimics or reflects the creator, these spots the Greater Will touched morphed to resemble literal fingers because that is the part of him that made contact with the world. And so the first beings to emerge, the ones "closest" in gradient to the Greater Will, are the Fingers.

Or perhaps the first primordial beings merely "sensed" or "saw" the GW’s fingers as they retracted into the heavens, and formed themselves into that shape in mimicry of their creator.

Eight Rembrance bosses down, no summons. I think their quality is higher then the base game for sure. That being said, they seemed to adhere (barring some examples like Messmer and his moon princess) to the vanilla's game design (make them spammy and clearly meant to fight with Ashes)...which I overall feel is inferior to the past boss design  (even if it's still better then 99 percent of the industry.) That being said, the ones who standout really standout. 

• Like 1

Just now, BigBossBalrog said:

:rofl: Once you get the timing down, he's not too hard. He takes a ton of damage. 

Him taking damage isn’t the issue. I actually hit him pretty hard with this greatsword. It’s his damn frostbite waves that are the pain. Specifically the one that makes a circle around you that closes in.