Soulsborne Thread #12

4 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

Neat little video by a guy who studies historic sword fighting techniques. Coming from that standpoint, he seems to be a big fan of the light greatsword moveset in Elden Ring. XD 

Didn't that dude shit on the way ER's lore presents itself and was made fun of when the game came out XD

15 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

Didn't that dude shit on the way ER's lore presents itself and was made fun of when the game came out XD

He loved the lore. Said it was one of his favorite fantasy settings of all time after LotR. He felt that it was under-appreciated because the majority of players will never piece it together through item descriptions and prohibitively obscure questlines.

Which is frankly true. Elden Ring has some great lore, but it’s not even a question that the people like us who comb through it are a small minority. It’s not like TES or Dragon Age where most players understand what’s happening.

Regardless, this video has nothing to do with that. It’s just about him putting some respect on a particular combat animation, because medieval fighting techniques is the main focus of his channel. 

5 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

He loved the lore. Said it was one of his favorite fantasy settings of all time after LotR. He felt that it was under-appreciated because the majority of players will never piece it together through item descriptions and prohibitively obscure questlines.

Which is frankly true. Elden Ring has some great lore, but it’s not even a question that the people like us who comb through it are a small minority. It’s not like TES or Dragon Age where most players understand what’s happening.

Regardless, this video has nothing to do with that. It’s just about him putting some respect on a particular combat animation, because medieval fighting techniques is the main focus of his channel. 

I mean, maybe I'd agree for Dark Souls; but do you see how much the lore community has taken off on youtube. They get millions of views; covering Souls lore has become a profitable business :rofl: Which I find hilarious..

Just now, BigBossBalrog said:

I mean, maybe I'd agree for Dark Souls; but do you see how much the lore community has taken off on youtube. They get millions of views; covering Souls lore has become a profitable business :rofl: Which I find hilarious..

It’s still true for the vast majority of players. In fact, I’d wager that most of those millions are old Souls fans. 

1 hour ago, The Good Doctor said:

@ColonelKillaBee If you haven’t gone back and talked to all the NPCs after the charm broke, it’s worth doing so. Seems to progress most of their quests. 

Im terrible at that lol but I'll make sure to do that this time since Ive haulted my progress to backtrack anyways. I didnt miss many shadow blessings luckily

Also ngl that messmer shield completes the build with those twin swords. It pretty much fixed all my issues with them. 

I also have enough weight capacity to still carry my oh shit blasphemous blade sword too lol. 

Backup weapon is of course Guts sword, aka best weapon in the game lol

Well next to the broken fire knight sword

@The Good Doctor if you want another sword to toy with thats definitely worth it, get it before it gets patched, especially if you ever invade.

Fire Knight's Greatsword | Elden Ring Wiki (fextralife.com)

busted

And now that I found another larval tear lol I can respec for this. 

Which I will do, tomorrow. I is tired. Fucking death bird valley took it out of me

• Thanks 1

"Even the hardest dick must go flaccid." -Colonelkillabee

11 hours ago, The Good Doctor said:

I can think of two possibilities.

It was indeed one of those two possibilities. Thanks for the hint, @BigBossBalrog.

Aaaaaand suddenly I got another big secret area to explore. This DLC is monstrous. Though this place at least seems relatively linear.

The "snipers" are brutal. They never killed me but they definitely got me low on potions. Absolutely relentless. That site of grace beyond them was a relief.

The cross halfway down says "Here, I discard my love" and a nearby ghost laments that Miquella can no longer save the Lands Between because he could not even save his other self. That he gave up a part of himself that he shouldn't have.

Or herself. I found St. Trina's sword nearby and the enemies wield sleep weapons. It’s the world’s biggest tomb, so I’m thinking this is where Miquella killed St. Trina.

Quite sad. This seems to be when Miquella lost the most important piece of his "humanity". He is golden light without warmth. No wonder Ansbach fears him.

It’ll be a while before I can continue, but I am very curious what awaits at the bottom. 

• Like 2

Also, on Ymir's questline…

(Plus lore talk down below)

This might be the biggest amount of high-level lore any questline in this game has ever delivered. Definitely this plainly.

Ymir is a creepy old fart, but the fact that he enjoys discussing the nature of the world and answers your questions straightforwardly, already boosts him up as one of my favorite NPCs. I’m sure he’ll betray us or something eventually (his room is full of bloodstains XD), but for now I really appreciate having a character with so much insight who is actually willing to share in his knowledge… Though his comment about not stepping on "the little boy" on my way out was very unnerving… what little boy, Ymir?

Also, his friend might be the biggest edgelord in all of Elden Ring. She dresses like a female Sauron, wields a katana whose blade is made of shadows, and all of her lines are something to the effect of "I’ll help you, but we’re not friends" *flips back hair* "Leave me." Come on Fromsoft, just have her say "Nothing Personnel, Kid" so we know you’re in on the joke. XD 

It seems like Ymir has determined that the Greater Will is not just some cosmic entity but indeed the creator of the entire universe, or at least all life. Which I already speculated was true from the dichotomy between it and the Frenzied Flame. Humanity (or all species of living things?) are not native to the Lands Between, but were "born of Stardust" long ago by the workings of the Greater Will, and eventually arrived or got delivered here.

The Fingers are servants, but like humanity and the "gods", they are imperfect and fickle, and so too was the Order they imposed (using Marika) in service to the Greater Will. Once again strikes me as Biblical. They live in a "fallen world" which Ymir and Miquella both concluded has no hope. Even institutions like the Golden Order/the church which attempt to honor the perfection of their creator are doomed to fall very, very short because everyone within them, even Marika and the Fingers, are rife with mortal shortcomings.

I think one such fatal flaw is Marika’s wrath for those who killed her people. She carried it with her when she helped shape the Elden Ring into its current state, imprinting her vengeful prejudice into the natural order of the world. That’s what much of this DLC seems to revolve around, the "secret horror" of Marika’s past that carried forward into the modern era. I suspect the reasons she never called off Messmer are because 1) she hasn’t, can’t, let go of her hatred for the Hornsent, even though it shames her, and 2) her guilt makes her wish to keep it all buried and hidden away.

Because this sin is an intrinsic part of her, who she is, Marika is physically unable to mend the Elden Ring in such a way that would fix the flaws that she cooked into it. The creation of new runes requires utter conviction, as seen with Fia, Dung Eater, and Golden Mask.

(Side note: This is likely why Miquella "discards" every part of himself in pursuit of godhood; he is attempting to avoid repeating his mother’s mistakes by removing any possibility of flaw or sin within himself, but in doing so he is also removing any semblance of will).

By later in life, Marika regrets much, and feels that her flawed Order is so off the mark from the Greater Will that she is better off shattering the Elden Ring and using grace to aid the Tarnished in restoring it to a better state without her hate and guilt-ridden fingerprints on it. She believes this is possible because, as Ymir’s questline reveals, we too are children of the Greater Will. She sent the Tarnished away from the Lands Between, away from her flawed Order, in the hopes that we would become stronger and wiser without her influence.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, The Good Doctor said:

It was indeed one of those two possibilities. Thanks for the hint, @BigBossBalrog.

Aaaaaand suddenly I got another big secret area to explore. This DLC is monstrous. Though this place at least seems relatively linear.

Reveal hidden contents

The "snipers" are brutal. They never killed me but they definitely got me low on potions. Absolutely relentless. That site of grace beyond them was a relief.

The cross halfway down says "Here, I discard my love" and a nearby ghost laments that Miquella can no longer save the Lands Between because he could not even save his other self. That he gave up a part of himself that he shouldn't have.

Or herself. I found St. Trina's sword nearby and the enemies wield sleep weapons. It’s the world’s biggest tomb, so I’m thinking this is where Miquella killed St. Trina.

Quite sad. This seems to be when Miquella lost the most important piece of his "humanity". He is golden light without warmth. No wonder Ansbach fears him.

It’ll be a while before I can continue, but I am very curious what awaits at the bottom. 

Tell me where 

I need something else to do for shadow levels, as many things as possible. So fucking mad, my gf decided to bicker with me on my best runs against Messmer, almost killed him multiile fucking times, SO GODDAMN CLOSE.

Am at shadow level 10

i know his fight well now, it’s tough but doable. I could’ve had him last run and my fucking graphics card crashed

• Sad 1

Just now, ColonelKillaBee said:

I need something else to do for shadow levels, as many things as possible. So fucking mad, my gf decided to bicker with me on my best runs against Messmer, almost killed him multiile fucking times, SO GODDAMN CLOSE.

Am at shadow level 10

i know his fight well now, it’s tough but doable. I could’ve had him last run and my fucking graphics card crashed

I haven’t been to the Shadow Keep yet and am still at 10, so you’re probably nearly maxed out unless there are more to be found in the keep.