Roleplayer's Off Topic Thread #43

French aesthetics are not what they used to be

• Haha 1

"If you know me you know I don't keep up with the times. I just go with the flow." - Woody Copeland, life coach

16 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

Hideo is getting too powerful. Now RYAN REYNOLDS, is looking for his approval :rofl: THEY WORSHIP HIM. THEY FUCKING WORSHIP HIM

It is so strange. It’s not like Kojima has ever done anything that you’d expect to endear him to Hollywood besides hire a few actors for some video games, which is not uncommon.

Is Hollywood secretly full of Metal Gear Solid fans or something? XD Or is he just that likable of a guy? 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

It is so strange. It’s not like Kojima has ever done anything that you’d expect to endear him to Hollywood besides hire a few actors for some video games, which is not uncommon.

Is Hollywood secretly full of Metal Gear Solid fans or something? XD Or is he just that likable of a guy? 

I still think none actually know about Metal Gear (except Ryan Reynolds, cause he's using the infamous "your caught" alert :rofl:) They just assume he's an obscure, but well-respected Japanese art-house director, without knowing he's a video game maker. 

Joking aside, I'll maintain he's the most connected man outside Hollywood XD

• Haha 1

If you ever needed proof that things are bad behind the scenes at Disney, and that they are truly desperate, this is it. XD Bringing back the most popular actor to play a completely different character is such a comical reach. But paying the full budget of smaller movie just to him alone is actually insane. And you know damn well that some of the other actors will be getting paid big bucks as well.

If you ever needed proof that things are bad behind the scenes at Disney, and that they are truly desperate, this is it. XD 

Bringing back the most popular actor to play a completely different character is such a comical reach. But paying the full budget of smaller movie just to him alone is actually insane. XD And you know damn well that some of the other actors will be getting paid big bucks as well.

Inside Out 2 just grossed about 1.5 billion, and the new Deadpool movie shattered R Movie rated records, so it's on track to get at least a billion. So this is probably there best quarter in a very long time XD Which makes this all the more baffling to me. 

6 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

Inside Out 2 just grossed about 1.5 billion, and the new Deadpool movie shattered R Movie rated records, so it's on track to get at least a billion. So this is probably there best quarter in a very long time XD Which makes this all the more baffling to me. 

Deadpool pulled out all the stops as far as jangling keys and pulling people in with nostalgia baiting. You can only drag in dead Hugh Jackman so many times. XD 

I guess that’s their current angle with RDJ now too. It’ll probably work, but I don’t think it’ll be like before where the success of one movie could make the following three super successful as well. They’re banking on recognizable faces rather than quality.

Deadpool pulled out all the stops as far as jangling keys and pulling people in with nostalgia baiting. You can only drag back in a dead Hugh Jackman so many times. XD 

I guess that’s their current angle with RDJ now too. It’ll probably work, but I don’t think it’ll be like before where the success of one movie could make the following three super successful as well. 

If they want long term success, I think big studios are going to have to do the painful steps to shrink budgets. A massive blockbuster SHOULDN'T cost anything more then 200 MILLION at MOST to make. 

• Like 1

Actually Deadpool and Wolverine was made at 200 million before advertising. Which by the last couple of years of Marvel Standards is pretty cheapish (I use the term loosely) With advertisement, we're probably looking at 350-400. Right now, I think that's an acceptable ballpark for them to try and reach going forward. 

Just now, BigBossBalrog said:

If they want long term success, I think big studios are going to have to do the painful steps to shrink budgets. A massive blockbuster SHOULDN'T cost anything more then 200 MILLION at MOST to make. 

If one actor is costing 80 million, then this movie will make 200 million look tiny. 

For put it into perspective, the next Captain America movie cost between $375 and $400 million for production alone. 

And that is with much cheaper actors and likely much less costs in general than a full blown Avengers movie. They’ve gotten outrageous. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

Actually Deadpool and Wolverine was made at 200 million before advertising. Which by the last couple of years of Marvel Standards is pretty cheapish (I use the term loosely) With advertisement, we're probably looking at 350-400. Right now, I think that's an acceptable ballpark for them to try and reach going forward. 

The production of that movie was unique, similar to Guardians of the Galaxy, where much of the talent involved are holdovers from before Marvel acquired Fox. From what we’ve seen, I wouldn’t expect that sort of competence to be normal for their other projects.

The Russo Brothers made some of the MCU’s more popular movies, but they were never cheap either. 

1 minute ago, BigBossBalrog said:

And fuck, Logan (One of the best super hero movies) was made for an estimated 100 million XD

That’s because Logan was a labor of love rather than corporate slop. XD Hugh Jackman took a huge paycut just to make that movie happen, because he cared so much about giving his character a proper sendoff. 

• Like 1

https://www.polygon.com/24207264/suicide-squad-kill-justice-league-mrs-freeze-dlc

So apparently SSJL backpeddled on all of it's story. It turns out you didn't kill the Justice League XD It's revealed they weren't actually the heroes, but clones. And that the next seasons are going to be saving each member from capture. So Arkham-verse Batman is alive again (and apparently Kevin Conroy recorded lines for his return) It's fucking stupid, but at least Arkham-Batman is okay.

• Haha 1