Roleplayer's Off Topic Thread #43

I just got back from the theaters to see Horizon: An American Saga.

I really liked it. It’s long, basically four movies in one (and it’s only part 1, part 2 comes out this Fall) but it is basically a huge Western epic that spans several states and follows multiple storylines revolving around lots of characters and groups playing roles in the taming of the West.

It covers all the Western bases. Cowboys and Indians, the Civil War, dangerous wagon trails, outlaws, scalp-hunters, eye-for-eye revenge killings, and a lot more. Strong reccomendation. Just know that it’s pretty brutal. And also long.

It is a bit hard to keep up with at first, because of the way it jumps between a huge number of characters in seemingly unrelated storylines, kinda like Game of Thrones, but you get used to it quickly. 

@Celan I think you would like it.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

I just got back from the theaters to see Horizon: An American Saga.

I really liked it. It’s long, basically four movies in one (and it’s only part 1, part 2 comes out this Fall) but it is basically a huge Western epic that spans several states and follows multiple storylines revolving around lots of characters and groups playing roles in the taming of the West.

It covers all the Western bases. Cowboys and Indians, the Civil War, dangerous wagon trails, outlaws, scalp-hunters, eye-for-eye revenge killings, and a lot more. Strong reccomendation. Just know that it’s pretty brutal.

It is a bit hard to keep up with at first, because of the way it jumps between a huge number of characters in seemingly unrelated storylines, kinda like Game of Thrones, but you get used to it quickly.

@Celan I think you would like it.

I heard it mega-bombed. That's a shame if it's good. 

2 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

I heard it mega-bombed. That's a shame if it's good. 

Yeah, we were the only ones in our theater (granted, it is a Tuesday evening). Shame because it’s quite good. But it being a western in 2024, I’m not surprised. Sadly, one of the biggest genres of all time has become pretty niche.

The three hour run time didn’t help it out butts in seats either. Though I didn’t feel any of the time was wasted. It moved quickly and kept me hooked throughout.

3 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

Yeah, we were the only ones in our theater. Shame because it’s quite good. But it being a western in 2024, I’m not surprised. Sadly, one of the biggest genres of all time has become pretty niche.

The three hour run time didn’t help it out butts in seats either. Though I didn’t feel any of the time was wasted. It moved quickly and kept me hooked throughout.

I think the fact they called it part 1 for already such a long movie also might have scared people off XD

1 minute ago, BigBossBalrog said:

I think the fact they called it part 1 for already such a long movie also might have scared people off XD

Indeed. But in glad they did, and that they’ve already completed part 2 because I would be very bummed to not finish it. Three hours got me quite invested in these characters and their stories. Especially Kevin Costner and a certain young character who is part of the scalp-hunter storyline. 

On 7/1/2024 at 4:16 PM, The Good Doctor said:

Crazy stuff. I’d never heard of this movie before, but listening to Drinker rant about the hellish production is entertaining. It sounds like an insane undertaking from the get-go.

The lead actor is the main villain in one of my favorite westerns, The Great Silence. I’d heard the guy was cantankerous and difficult to work with, but him being such a bastard that local tribesmen offered to assassinate him is another level. XD 

I don't think "production hell" quite covers it for this film. 

"If you know me you know I don't keep up with the times. I just go with the flow." - Woody Copeland, life coach