Roleplayer's Off Topic Thread #43

19 minutes ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

They're Japanese Celan xD They say stuff like "I will NOT fail" and make you believe it.

And if they do, its sepukku

You joke, but that is actually a factor. Japanese dev wages are lower so they’re easier to keep and layoffs are not as important when cost cutting is needed. They also have a very different corporate culture. The article talks about how Nintendo’s CEO took a pay cut just to avoid laying people off (imagine an American CEO doing that XD), and how Fromsoft’s director respects him for it and would do the same.

And in full context, what he actually said is something he can guarantee. He said he cannot say with 100% certainty that no layoffs will happen in the future, only that it won’t be while he is in charge. If things got bad, and he is being honest, then presumably he would be the first to go.

Fortunately, Fromsoft is in an incredibly good place right now, financially, so we can’t check him on that. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

And in full context, what he actually said is something he can guarantee. He said he cannot say with 100% certainty that no layoffs will happen in the future, only that it won’t be while he is in charge.

Which, again, no business leader can say. They will absolutely lay people off if they have to.

A number of American CEOs have cut their salaries to pay employees.

I don't care, honestly, but the statement is still bullshit.

"If you know me you know I don't keep up with the times. I just go with the flow." - Woody Copeland, life coach

GQZIxbnXAAAHJrV?format=jpg&name=900x900

From comments:

"I would have thought it would be the Packers"

"No tight ends after the first season"

• Haha 2

"If you know me you know I don't keep up with the times. I just go with the flow." - Woody Copeland, life coach

Just now, Celan said:

Which, again, no business leader can say. They will absolutely lay people off if they have to.

Unless he’d quit before doing it himself. It’s admittedly a very grandstandy thing to say, and probably BS, but he could very well mean it. 

My statement stands, the US lost wars too lol, and quite frankly I'd trust a japanese ceo in the gaming industry that still has passion and soul, and love for what they do over an american one nowadays. 

My position was always that of all the developers who could say this, it's Miyazaki.

@The Good Doctor I was only half joking lol, they have far more integrity than our business tycoons and ceos culturally. That said, Nintendo does get up to some shady business practices when it comes to what they will allow with copyright, and especially modded content. 

But, that's to other people, not their employees lol.

"Even the hardest dick must go flaccid." -Colonelkillabee

58 minutes ago, Celan said:

GQZIxbnXAAAHJrV?format=jpg&name=900x900

From comments:

"I would have thought it would be the Packers"

"No tight ends after the first season"

I wanna see what they come up with next black history month

"Even the hardest dick must go flaccid." -Colonelkillabee

28 minutes ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

My statement stands,

Imagine my shock.

There's also the part about how Japanese company's get around the much stricter labor laws by "reassigning" their employees they want to fire - but can't - to menial labor jobs like being a janitor to force you to resign, so its not all sunshine and rainbows XD That being said, I agree with the sentiment I think if there's someone we can trust keeping his word in the industry, it's Miyazaki. 

He's kept his word anyway for the last fifteen years of never adding an easy mode or dumbing down his stuff, despite immense pressure to do so XD

1 minute ago, Celan said:

@The Good Doctor While you've got HBO, The Jink is a pretty good true crime documentary. Not much else new that I can recommend.

Not even True Detective s4? :P 

Thanks for the recommendation. I’m not all that into true crime documentaries, but I may give it a look when I have time.

It’s actually surprising how little of a back catalogue I’m seeing on HBO right now, considering I haven’t been subscribed to it in two years. 

17 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

Not even True Detective s4? :P 

Thanks for the recommendation. I’m not all that into true crime documentaries, but I may give it a look when I have time.

It’s actually surprising how little of a back catalogue I’m seeing on HBO right now, considering I haven’t been subscribed to it in two years. 

They're too busy making agitprop political series to make actual quality content.

• Like 1

I watched Furiosa: I really liked it XD Its really weird to see so much world building and context added to Fury Road though. There was so many good action scenes (the CGi was much better then I thought it was going to be). I liked the Revenge plot well enough, but the real star of the show was getting to see how Immortal Joe's Empire worked. It was like a day in the life of Caeser's Legion. For such a horrible person, he's shockingly pragmatic. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BigBossBalrog said:

I watched Furiosa: I really liked it XD Its really weird to see so much world building and context added to Fury Road though. There was so many good action scenes (the CGi was much better then I thought it was going to be). I liked the Revenge plot well enough, but the real star of the show was getting to see how Immortal Joe's Empire worked. It was like a day in the life of Caeser's Legion. For such a horrible person, he's shockingly pragmatic. 

I just found Fury Road so boring. We'll probably watch it eventually on streaming.

• Like 1

Question about the RE4 remake. Looking at getting it while it's on sale for $30, don't really wanna spend the extra $10 for the dlc atm. Is the dlc for playing after story anyways or does it take place during it? Don't want to feel like something is missing. I know they messed with the giant fight I believe.

• Like 1

Just now, Celan said:

I just found Fury Road so boring.

Same boat. I was off to see Furiosa because I have a friend who really wanted to go, but I ain’t a big fan of Fury Road and never really wanted to see more of this character, let alone a whole spinoff.

2 minutes ago, Elden Clown said:

Question about the RE4 remake. Looking at getting it while it's on sale for $30, don't really wanna spend the extra $10 for the dlc atm. Is the dlc for playing after story anyways or does it take place during it? Don't want to feel like something is missing. I know they messed with the giant fight I believe.

They take place concurrently but the DLC is intended to be played after you beat the game. You won’t be missing anything by holding off for now.

• Thanks 1