Roleplayer's Off Topic Thread #43

27 minutes ago, Elden Clown said:

I honestly have not a clue what happened in the Obi-wan series but he loved it. Was it iffy? Either way, can't wait to see him open it.

I found it to be the worst of all the SW series. XD Some would argue Book of Boba Fett was worse, but to me it’s like comparing a rotten apple to a rotten pear. I liked Ewan McGregor’s acting, but not much else.

• Thanks 1

Any manager saying "I wouldn't let layoffs happen" is a liar.

"If you know me you know I don't keep up with the times. I just go with the flow." - Woody Copeland, life coach

22 minutes ago, Celan said:

Any manager saying "I wouldn't let layoffs happen" is a liar.

He's the company President and their last game grossed 1.5 billion dollars in revenue and then got 500 million in investment from Sony XD I'd say Japanese game development has never been healthier. 

1 hour ago, BigBossBalrog said:

He's the company President and their last game grossed 1.5 billion dollars in revenue and then got 500 million in investment from Sony XD I'd say Japanese game development has never been healthier. 

There's no guarantee for the future.

• Like 1

"If you know me you know I don't keep up with the times. I just go with the flow." - Woody Copeland, life coach

14 hours ago, The Good Doctor said:

I found it to be the worst of all the SW series. XD Some would argue Book of Boba Fett was worse, but to me it’s like comparing a rotten apple to a rotten pear. I liked Ewan McGregor’s acting, but not much else.

Ewan McGregor was a gem as always, and idk about the context or anything, the fight and dialogue between Obi and Vader at the end was a masterpiece. Shame the rest of the show was mid at best

• Like 1

Fuck:dntknw:

8 minutes ago, Centurion said:

Ewan McGregor was a gem as always, and idk about the context or anything, the fight and dialogue between Obi and Vader at the end was a masterpiece. Shame the rest of the show was mid at best

I  really liked the Vader fight too. XD

Todd Howard did an interview last weekend that I’ve only seen snippets of so far (it’s long), but @ColonelKillaBee I thought you might be interested to know that he expressed some resentment over having not supported Skyrim more and longer after launch, with DLCs and such. Basically exactly like we always said, you more than anyone.

The game had better legs than he expected, with people just continually coming back to it for years on end. It is something they’ve already considered with their plans for TES VI, though he doesn’t want to say anything specific yet. 

He also said the OG Fallout games will never get remakes, which is A-okay in my book. Stay far away from them, Beth. XD 

4 minutes ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

Ima watch but my first thoughts from what you said is "live service" lol. But let me listen before I judge.

The timestamp is a little off. The part I’m referencing starts around 17 minutes in. 

Bright side is, Todd does outright reject that they want to do live service for their main games. He says for Skyrim that he just wishes they’d done more DLCs and updates.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

The timestamp is a little off. The part I’m referencing starts around 17 minutes in. 

Bright side is, Todd does outright reject that they want to do live service for their main games. He says for Skyrim that he just wishes they’d done more DLCs and updates.

Eh, I think Todd nickel and diming PAID mods is something even worst. Forcing the player to pay SEVEN dollars for a thirty minute mission 

2 hours ago, BigBossBalrog said:

Eh, I think Todd nickel and diming PAID mods is something even worst. Forcing the player to pay SEVEN dollars for a thirty minute mission 

I’m not defending Creation Club or Bethesda here. More like sharing this as a bit of a "we told them so" because Todd is outright saying that he wishes they had done exactly what we said for years. Skyrim’s player retention was enormous, and any DLCs for it would’ve continued to sell like hot cakes if they hadn’t arbitrarily decided to pull the plug early.

Creation Club getting introduced so many years after is further proof of this. They realized, much too late, that there was still money to be made. They just no longer had the ability to do it in a way that wouldn’t be divisive.

• Like 1

Another hilarious thing to me is that claim theres no way for them to make more content for Skyrim...when they've been using the same fucking engine for twenty years and should have zero problems shifting back. It'd probally take them a couple days to readjust to Skyrim's version of the CE XD 

Just now, BigBossBalrog said:

Another hilarious thing to me is that claim theres no way for them to make more content for Skyrim...when they've been using the same fucking engine for twenty years and should have zero problems shifting back. It'd probally take them a couple days to readjust to Skyrim's version of the CE XD 

I think it’s a matter of them having already settled on "Special Editions" and whatnot. As the IP holder, you can make and sell as many DLC as you want, but once you’ve decided to sell an all-inclusive "special edition" that is marketed to include them all, you’re signifying to the audience that this will be your stopping point for new official content.

Bethesda should’ve held off way longer on that. I bet they thought Skyrim’s following would dwindle when Fallout 4 came out, or that the two would compete with each other. But that was a mistake, probably because they were new to working with such a big fanbase (this is when they really blew up), and didn’t anticipate the length between Skyrim and TESVI being longer than Daggerfall and Skyrim. XD 

17 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

I think it’s a matter of them having already settled on "Special Editions" and whatnot. As the IP holder, you can make and sell as many DLC as you want, but once you’ve decided to sell an all-inclusive "special edition" that is marketed to include them all, you’re signifying to the audience that this will be your stopping point for new official content.

Bethesda should’ve held off way longer on that. I bet they thought Skyrim’s following would dwindle when Fallout 4 came out, or that the two would compete with each other. But that was a mistake, probably because they were new to working with such a big fanbase (this is when they really blew up), and didn’t anticipate the length between Skyrim and TESVI being longer than Daggerfall and Skyrim. XD 

Yeah, Fallout 4 sold hot cakes on its own: don't even see any kind of possible sales cannibilsation.

I no longer see any good reason for taking so long, especially since there using the same engine. Why can everyone else make open world games that take a fraction of the time that Beth ones do? 

3 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

I no longer see any good reason for taking so long, especially since there using the same engine. Why can everyone else make open world games that take a fraction of the time that Beth ones do? 

Fallout 76 and Starfield.

Todd has admitted that it took a lot more time and resources than they expected to rework the Creation Engine to support an MMO. Plus, even with all those reused assets, that’s a big map they built.

Meanwhile, Starfield was all new assets and loads of new mechanics. And the development for it was a disorganized mess, loads of people working from home for two years, and by their own admission, they didn’t really know what they wanted it to be, or even consider it "fun" until 2022.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Celan said:

There's no guarantee for the future.

To be very honest, Fromsoft is very different from other gaming companies. They're not a huge studio, make very very niche games that take huge risks when they dont have to, and Miyazaki is like, honor bound on being different and not doing what others expect him to do.

If it were any other developer I'd laugh and agree, but when he says I'd never let that happen, I believe him more than anyone else. He earned that benefit of the doubt from fans.

• Like 2

"Even the hardest dick must go flaccid." -Colonelkillabee

3 minutes ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

To be very honest, Fromsoft is very different from other gaming companies. They're not a huge studio, make very very niche games that take huge risks when they dont have to, and Miyazaki is like, honor bound on being different and not doing what others expect him to do.

If it were any other developer I'd laugh and agree, but when he says I'd never let that happen, I believe him more than anyone else. He earned that benefit of the doubt from fans.

You literally can't make such a guarantee. Shit happens.

1 minute ago, Celan said:

You literally can't make such a guarantee. Shit happens.

They're Japanese Celan xD They say stuff like "I will NOT fail" and make you believe it.

And if they do, its sepukku

• Haha 3

"Even the hardest dick must go flaccid." -Colonelkillabee

18 minutes ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

They're Japanese Celan xD They say stuff like "I will NOT fail" and make you believe it.

And if they do, its sepukku

They lost a war. XD 

17 minutes ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

Besides, whether you think its impossible or not isnt really the point, the intent behind it and his dedication to his team is the point. 

Intent doesn't mean shit. No manager sets out to see their business go down.

• Haha 1