Roleplayer's Off Topic Thread #43

Just now, ColonelKillaBee said:

Both the guns and clothes in this game are majorly lacking. No flavour, no character. Except Maxsons coat.

Bethesda has a single thing they are very good at writing:  Morally complicated antiheroes who lead a faction of flawed yet righteous soldiers, who also happen to have nice beards and baller coats. XD 

• Haha 1

Just now, The Good Doctor said:

Bethesda has a single thing they are very good at writing:  Morally complicated antiheroes who lead a faction of flawed yet righteous soldiers, who also happen to have nice beards and baller coats. XD 

lmao to be fair thats a very good thing to be good at lol. If not for the BoS I would absolutely hate this game, and tbh I dont know how to feel about that since I've never been a BoS fan. Still aren't, really. Just a Maxson fan.

• Like 1

"Even the hardest dick must go flaccid." -Colonelkillabee

Just now, ColonelKillaBee said:

lmao to be fair thats a very good thing to be good at lol. If not for the BoS I would absolutely hate this game, and tbh I dont know how to feel about that since I've never been a BoS fan. Still aren't, really. Just a Maxson fan.

Indeed. They owe a lot to whoever created Ulfric and Maxson, because those two almost singlehandedly carry both their games and most discussion surrounding them on their backs, at least from a writing standpoint.

• Like 1

Just now, The Good Doctor said:

This has reminded me that you need mods to see weapons on your character in Fallout 4. What were they thinking?

Yea that was pretty bad. And considering that I hate the base game guns and none of the ones I use regularly are, aside from the gauss rifle really, and not a single other gun (left handed animations etc really made me hate them all) oh actually, and the hand made shovel AK lol, you can imagine how much of a pain in the ass it was to finally get this working how I like, and the rifle holstered properly. Its also adjustable on that mod. Its literally the classic built in weapons on back feature of the other two previous games except it also lets you adjust and even exclude certain guns. 

• Like 1

I blame my after covid gun dive really for my not being able to tolerate the blocky big giant guns anymore. Bethesda had the same issue with swords and such but at least those were mostly fantasy. Is why I want to give them some slack for the energy weapons but lol I just cant. They didnt even give me my plasma defender back lol that was a cool ass gun.

Really tho the coolness of ballistic firearms is what made me dislike the BoS more than anything, theyre too rigid in their thinking of advanced tech is always best. Just isnt the case.

And the institute rifle is a piece of shit, is a toy. Total garbage gun. I never was a fan of the laser rifle but the automatic assault version here is ok, needs better accessories tho, and why is there recoil on this thing lol its a laser. Im just glad that they did away with energy weapons as a category for perks because if I was stuck with those id be mad the rest of the game.

Im rambling at this point lol. Just salty I had to do so much modding before being able to enjoy this game. FNV is good out the box.

• Like 1

I think the biggest most unforgivable sin tho is that their newest game has worse gun animations than their mmo. No matter how many shots you take with a weapon that has hand loaded ammunition, I.E. Lever actions, break actions, revolvers, they will all reload the same amount of ammunition each and every time. There isnt even a fast loader for the revolver to explain this.

Whoever they got on their team rn has not a single clue of how guns work, not an inkling. Its like some british dudes came over with their knowledge of guns from old american movies and made the gun models and animations off memory

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

Whoever they got on their team rn has not a single clue of how guns work, not an inkling. Its like some british dudes came over with their knowledge of guns from old american movies and made the gun models and animations off memory

This is definitely true.

JE Sawyer over at Obsidian is a huge gun nut, outdoorsman, and wannabe cowboy, and it shows a lot in New Vegas. He cared enough to personally oversee the making of firearms in New Vegas because he actually cares about that kind of stuff in real life and wants to do it justice.

The Bethesda crew are a bunch of Washington D.C. city slickers who have very clearly never came in contact with an actual firearm in their lives, and are about as worried over accuracy or detail as CNN hosts when they gripe about "fully automatic Assault Rifle 16 ghost guns". :P

52 minutes ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

Really tho the coolness of ballistic firearms is what made me dislike the BoS more than anything, theyre too rigid in their thinking of advanced tech is always best. Just isnt the case.

Shane is that the BoS never exclusively used energy weapons before FO4. It’s one of the rare things I prefer about them in FO3. They use any good weapons they can get their hands on.

They only make a point to seize energy weapons from Wastelanders because of the advanced tech in them, not because they’re necessarily more deadly.

52 minutes ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

And the institute rifle is a piece of shit, is a toy.

That thing is a joke. And it takes up like 40% of the screen. "Most advanced faction in the world" my ass. XD 

And yeah, I can’t enjoy almost any guns in vanilla Fallout 4 or 76 because the left handed bolts and charging handles just drive me crazy. Tough to fix with mods (impossible in 76) too, but an essential one for me. It’s why I stick to the Gauss shotgun in Fallout 76.

the pipeguns they may as well have just taken out of the game too tbh. I got rid of em as soon as possible. 

Not even just because theyre ugly but man the magazine doesnt even connect to the chamber, it just kinda sticks into the gun and the bullets magically make their way to the chamber somehow, nevermind that you can make them shoot .308 and even .50cal lol. They would blow up.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

It’s a shame because the Fallout series has such a huge selection of awesome and iconic-looking weapons to fill your game with. It’s like they tried to reinvent the wheel but they made it a square. 

And they look like shit compared to Metro's pipeguns XD

I guess they at least do use the minigun even tho its a piece of shit lol unless bleed or explosive rounds.... which basically break the game. BoS I mean

It comes down to their design choice of making the power armor a true suit of armor which I do like, but they wanted guns to look like they were meant for it.

To do that tho theyd have to simply add 1. More guns and 2. High strength requirements to use said guns and 3 have the power armor boost stats like strength, which I think they already do base game and new vegas did this for stuff like the anti material rifle.

That way you either are a strong mofo to operate that minigun outside the power armor or you simply is in the power armor when using em.

They shouldve did that... and made the minigun not shoot bb pellets. Then, make fusion cores rarer until you have maxson show up, or you level up higher. 

EZ PZ

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

which I think they already do base game and new vegas did this for stuff like the anti material rifle.

Yessir. Every weapon in NV had a soft strength requirement. You could still use them if yours was too low, they’d just sway really bad.

I think strength requirements should make a comeback, but then have power armor nullify them or something. Instead of making fusion cores rare, I’d make power armor rare. It should be like a mega-reward once you get it, plus bring back power armor training, then it takes special perks or BoS affiliation to maintain and repair it to full.

That way it can be properly awesome, but not easily accessible unless you know the game really well or work hard to earn it. Would make it feel as special as it’s supposed to be. 

• Like 1

Power armor training im ok with not being a thing assuming Nate used them in the war. But then the other one, your wife, lol she was clearly not power armor trained and a lawyer xD Imagine if they made her have to join the BoS to use that lol, would make that first deathclaw fight much more interesting

• Like 1

this gun mod is amazing

Fallout_4_Screenshot_2024.05.21_-_20.33.Fallout_4_Screenshot_2024.05.21_-_20.34.Fallout_4_Screenshot_2024.05.21_-_20.34.

This is how I first found it, lol thats a split shot barrel so its technically a very long range automatic "shotgun" which you can fix to work like a proper shotgun later. 

Instead I took a more classic rifle approach

Fallout_4_Screenshot_2024.05.21_-_21.05.Fallout_4_Screenshot_2024.05.21_-_21.05.Fallout_4_Screenshot_2024.05.21_-_20.52.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

Be cool if you could get it to unfold when you take it off your back, then refold when you holster it. 

that other guy has a folding stock like that, the hunting rifle one, russian dude that made the mothman 10mm revolver and pistol

• Like 1