Roleplayer's Off Topic Thread #43

10 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

Monster Hunter would appeal to me a thousand percent more if this badass faction of hunters weren’t a bunch of cutesy anime characters. XD 

I think its getting better in that regard, but what really bugs me is that fucking sword XD Maybe if they sold me on the guy swinging it, but lol I am not sold. That thing looks like a megalodon shark tooth and yet it doesnt look deadly at all, looks more like it'd get him deaded lol.

Monster hunter would be a lot better with more realistic weapons. At least not fat ones.

• Like 1

"Even the hardest dick must go flaccid." -Colonelkillabee

2 minutes ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

I think its getting better in that regard

Based on the trailer, I’m not sure about that. They’ve still got the giggly girls who talk like teenagers in a cartoon, and the stupid cat sidekicks.

I love the premise of an open world giant monster hunting game, but I’d rather something more like the Hunters from Bloodborne than this cringey shit. XD 

5 minutes ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

Monster hunter would be a lot better with more realistic weapons. At least not fat ones.

That too. I totally agree. 

11 minutes ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

I think its getting better in that regard, but what really bugs me is that fucking sword XD Maybe if they sold me on the guy swinging it, but lol I am not sold. That thing looks like a megalodon shark tooth and yet it doesnt look deadly at all, looks more like it'd get him deaded lol.

It's always had that weird mix of realism and over the top, Japanese goofiness.

palico-food.gif

I don't think there in any rush to change XD

https://www.ign.com/articles/monster-hunter-world-sells-over-25-million

24 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

Monster Hunter would appeal to me a thousand percent more if this badass faction of hunters weren’t a bunch of cutesy anime characters. XD 

There's plenty of grizzled ones. Especially in the new games. 

img_base_01_01.thumb.png.447df6776567b72eb83c731c92fb9d4a.png

2hhjega1zq331.jpg.b9935db25dd1fb75adb0ab927ac09bf5.jpg

Just now, BigBossBalrog said:

It's always had that weird mix of realism and over the top, Japanese goofiness.

I don't think there in any rush to change XD

Realism? Where? XD 

And I know. They’ve got a thing that works and has a lot of fans, and I don’t even want to take it from them.

I’m just daydreaming about what would appeal to me. 

1 minute ago, BigBossBalrog said:

There's plenty of grizzled ones. Especially in the new games. 

They’re there, but they stand shoulder-to-shoulder with characters who make Dales’ maid posse look like the cast of Vinland Saga by comparison. :lol: 

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

Based on the trailer, I’m not sure about that. They’ve still got the giggly girls who talk like teenagers in a cartoon, and the stupid cat sidekicks.

I love the premise of an open world giant monster hunting game, but I’d rather something more like the Hunters from Bloodborne than this cringey shit. XD 

That too. I totally agree. 

I mean it wouldnt be japanese if they didnt have that lol, you askin them to get rid of that is like asking the US to stop making grizzled 30 nothing white dudes the main protagonist lol, with skinny white girls fighting grown men.

Its just a staple lol. At least theyre not bug eyed weirdos

3 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

Realism? Where? XD 

And I know. They’ve got a thing that works and has a lot of fans, and I don’t even want to take it from them.

Environment and their monsters (which act more like animals in an eco system).

monster_hunter__world_20180118140723.thumb.webp.14449182d307f45aa1e3f149d5293041.webp

5tNczQiM65BRG9cJaDarwZ.thumb.jpg.e9286ac2d2da24be196d164f162f3f60.jpg

monsterhunter_2340123b.thumb.jpg.15996b054d5e120b1f2cb6ea975a976f.jpg

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

asking the US to stop making grizzled 30 nothing white dudes the main protagonist lol,

To be fair, they have been asking that for a while now. XD 

But I get it. Like I said, I’m not saying they should change. Just describing an alternate version that would actually get me to play it. 

I did give MHW a try last year. Definitely wasn’t for me. 

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

Realism? Where? XD 

I’m just daydreaming about what would appeal to me. 

They’re there, but they stand shoulder-to-shoulder with characters who make Dales’ maid posse look like the cast of Vinland Saga by comparison. :lol: 

It would be ten times better if the women got the same treatment as the men, but well thats a big cultural difference as well. I think Pai Mei said it best lmao.

Japanese dont typically like what we consider "real women".

edit: Yes I know Pai Mei is chinese lol

Edited by ColonelKillaBee
  • Like 1

Just now, The Good Doctor said:

To be fair, they have been asking that for a while now. XD 

But I get it. Like I said, I’m not saying they should change. Just describing an alternate version that would actually get me to play it.

I did give MHW a try last year. Definitely wasn’t for me. 

On one hand I kind of agree, but then on the other hand my favorite character by capcom is Dante xD

Older now but same archetype lol.

And my Shephard from mass effect is default John Shephard, 30 nothing year old white dude xD

Cliches have their place. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

On one hand I kind of agree, but then on the other hand my favorite character by capcom is Dante xD

And my Shephard from mass effect is default John Shephard, 30 nothing year old white dude xD

I thought DMC5 did an excellent job of mixing realism with over the top Shonen XD

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

I agree. I’m not gonna sit here and do the MHW fanbase like has been done to most the ones I like and insist it should change to cater to me and what I like or anything by like that. If that’s what their fans want, and what the series has always been, then power to them, I guess. XD 

But man, an open world game about a faction of monster hunters with excellent combat and creature design is a damn good premise. Shame no one else has attempted a grittier take on it. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BigBossBalrog said:

I thought DMC5 did an excellent job of mixing realism with over the top Shonen XD

I think that they did too because they never tried to tone down the over the topness lol, in fact they fuckin cranked it up by 1000 xD Great game ngl

All they did was basically make the characters look realer and less anime, but everything else remained very anime in the best ways.

They are trying to do that with monster hunter too but tbh while i hate the weapons, thats a staple for many clearly. Im sure they know the weapons look dumb to some but people love their fantasy weapons.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The Good Doctor said:

I agree. I’m not gonna sit here and do the MHW fanbase like has been done to most the ones I like and insist it should change to cater to me and what I like or anything by like that. If that’s what their fans want, and what the series has always been, then power to them, I guess. XD 

But man, an open world game about a faction of monster hunters with excellent combat and creature design is a damn good premise. Shame no one else has attempted a grittier take on it. 

Imagine "bloodborne" with an elden ring world design

• Like 1

From what I’ve seen, Dante seems to fit right in with his series. Guy’s a badass demon hunter man. Anime-isms aside, I don’t really have any trouble buying his character at all. Less-so the case with the squeaky middle-school brained and voiced 90 pound monster hunter girls. XD 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

Imagine "bloodborne" with an elden ring world design

Eh...I don't think that would work as well XD What I love about BB is the intimate level design of Yhanarm and it's outskirts; super interconnected, and feeling like a real place. 

I do gotta say tho, as much as I love devil may cry, Nero's two shot revolver that never needs to reload is pretty retarded lmao xD You just gotta turn your brain off and remember, its anime lol. 

Trigun did it best tho lol.

• Haha 1

I do gotta say tho, as much as I love devil may cry, Nero's two shot revolver that never needs to reload is pretty retarded lmao xD You just gotta turn your brain off and remember, its anime lol. 

Trigun did it best tho lol.

Nope XD

1557d94dc4564187363eeeb183b785f8.gif

Just now, BigBossBalrog said:

Eh...I don't think that would work as well XD What I love about BB is the intimate level design of Yhanarm and it's outskirts; super interconnected, and feeling like a real place. 

I think itd work very well, considering that elden ring cities were incredibly detailed, scarily so. It'd be like that, but bigger with more to explore. More secrets to discover.

I'd be all for it. Think how crazy the level design could be when you throw dreams layered upon dreams into the mix.

• Like 1

They are trying to do that with monster hunter too but tbh while i hate the weapons, thats a staple for many clearly. Im sure they know the weapons look dumb to some but people love their fantasy weapons.

I’ve heard it’s also a gameplay thing. Like when your character is 1/20 the size of most creatures he fights, having a giant weapon makes combat visibility much easier to handle. 

2 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

I’ve heard it’s also a gameplay thing. Like when your character is 1/20 the size of most creatures he fights, having a giant weapon makes combat visibility much easier to handle. 

They do the opposite in Souls; in the art design interview, Miyazaki admitted to making some of the enemies larger then their lore size to make things easier for the player XD

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

I would’ve said that before Elden Ring came out. I’ll not be underestimating FromSoft anymore. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1