Roleplayer's Off Topic Thread #43

8 hours ago, The Good Doctor said:

Last weekend’s tornados hit our area like a tank. Didn’t mess me up too bad; tore up the garden and bent my arch, and my power was out for a couple days, but it’s hard to complain considering what most of my area got. I drove around on Sunday and saw lots of fallen trees, crushed cars and roofs, and downed power lines. And towns north and west of here look like straight up war zones.

Worst news is the farms. Biggest farmers in the region are already reporting over 99% of their crops are completely lost from the hail damage, and too late to replant a lot of it. Never seen corn, beans, and cotton get shredded so badly. 

Shame too, because this was looking to be a very healthy year in terms of yields.

Glad you came out of it relatively unscathed. I drove past a tornado zone in Arkansas when moving out here from California. It looked like the buildings had been put in a blender then somebody opened the lid.

• Thanks 1

"If you know me you know I don't keep up with the times. I just go with the flow." - Woody Copeland, life coach

Been rewatching Goosebumps with my little sister (that and Fraggle Rock, which is just less grim dark Metro). Was RL Stine high when he wrote some of this shit? It's fucking bonkers XD Haunted Mask and Werewolf of Fever Swamp have remained my favorite stories so far. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Welp. Ringers of Power just announced their adapting Tom Bombadil. He looks absolutely awful: like some grim-dark rendition of him.

GOv5F9WXQAAtXnT?format=jpg&name=large

Tom-Bombadil-Lord-of-the-Rings-First-Loo

Coincidentally, Martin just released a blog-post slamming producers and showrunners who don't adapt stories faithfully: telling them it isn't there work to "ruin" and make "their own". Good read. 

https://variety.com/2024/tv/news/george-rr-martin-slams-adaptations-writers-making-stories-their-own-1236017804/

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, BigBossBalrog said:

Welp. Ringers of Power just announced their adapting Tom Bombadil. He looks absolutely awful: like some grim-dark rendition of him.

That looks terrible. The beard and hair look fake.

2 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

Coincidentally, Martin just released a blog-post slamming producers and showrunners who don't adapt stories faithfully: telling them it isn't there work to "ruin" and make "their own". Good read. 

Has he included Game of Thrones in that? Because he’s 100% right, but it’s hard to take him seriously when the adaptation of his own books is one of the worst offenders of all time and he mostly keeps quiet about it.

Speaking of George, he also said this recently:

"the show will make its debut next year… and if it does well, THE SWORN SWORD and THE MYSTERY KNIGHT will follow.  By which time I hope to have finished some more Dunk & Egg stories (yes, after I finish THE WINDS OF WINTER)."

I am highly doubtful. He’s said this so many times. 

5 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

That looks terrible. The beard and hair look fake.

Has he included Game of Thrones in that? Because he’s 100% right, but it’s hard to take him seriously when the adaptation of his own books is one of the worst offenders of all time and he mostly keeps quiet about it.

He didn't name any names XD Just used a bunch of author names. I think he's contractually obligated not to shit on GoT, but I think it's spiritually included in his post.  

• Like 1

Just now, BigBossBalrog said:

I think he's contractually obligated not to shit on GoT, but I think it's spiritually included in his post.  

That, or he doesn’t want to burn bridges with HBO. But you’re probably right, there’s no way he wasn’t thinking it while writing that post. 

5 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

That, or he doesn’t want to burn bridges with HBO. But you’re probably right, there’s no way he wasn’t thinking it while writing that post. 

A hundred percent this. Especially with the amazing reception House of Dragon got (which he worked on alot). 

35 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

Turning him into a roving environmental activist. 

• Haha 2

"If you know me you know I don't keep up with the times. I just go with the flow." - Woody Copeland, life coach

7 minutes ago, Celan said:

Turning him into a roving environmental activist. 

I can see the Amazon shill media headlines now:

"Amazon’s Rings of Power Proves Tom Bombadil CAN work On-Screen"

Followed by three or four vacuous paragraphs spouting off why Amazon took a "bold risk" that not even Peter Jackson was willing to bank on and how it paid off so well with their "fresh new take on an old fan favorite". 

Copy paste across a dozen different websites.

8 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

Even after becoming so cynical about the industry, I still can't help liking announcement months; the hype feels good before it crashes down XD

There are sometimes at least one or two diamonds in the trough. And hell, last year actually had lots of good games.

6 hours ago, The Good Doctor said:

I can see the Amazon shill media headlines now:

"Amazon’s Rings of Power Proves Tom Bombadil CAN work On-Screen"

Followed by three or four vacuous paragraphs spouting off why Amazon took a "bold risk" that not even Peter Jackson was willing to bank on and how it paid off so well with their "fresh new take on an old fan favorite". 

Copy paste across a dozen different websites.

I mean they did knock it out of the park with Fallout. Maybe we should give them a chance guys.

• Haha 2

"Even the hardest dick must go flaccid." -Colonelkillabee

43 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

Fair enough. Pairing Fallout with Rings of Power does seem about right. 

Rings of Power probably knocked a couple of zeros off the IP itself XD Fallout, was unfortunately, super profitable. 

8 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

This reminds me. Did you ever see what Counter Strike used to do? Their owners had a full-blown rigged gambling website that broke so many laws back when this stuff was still fairly new and unregulated. XD People would lose hundreds and even thousands of dollars betting on skins for in-game knife cosmetics, the values of which were arbitrarily set by the devs.

I had a friend back in the day who I saw win a near "$1,000" skin, and instead of immediately selling it, dumbass just bet it again and lost it.

• Haha 1