Roleplayer's Off Topic Thread #42

Apparently Mikami (The Resident Evil 4 director) only left Tango because he thought it was safe after the Microsoft takeover :( Sucks. 

Bethesda apparently going to go through a big a huge layoff spree. Starfield must have massivley underperformed. 

7 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

Shame. Also a shame that Arkane’s last work would be Redfall. Talk about going out with a whimper. 

There's two Arkane's; the Dishonored Team is thankfully fine. Working on the Blade Immersive Sim right now. 

Just now, BigBossBalrog said:

Bethesda apparently going to go through a big a huge layoff spree. Starfield must have massivley underperformed. 

For all their faults, I’ve heard that Bethesda usually are pretty good to their employees by dev standards. I imagine that means things are pretty bad.

Or it’s just a reflection of the whole AAA industry right now, which is basically just a less cringey and rapey reflection of Hollywood these days, and the tech center. Extremely bloated. 

2 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

There's two Arkane's; the Dishonored Team is thankfully fine. Working on the Blade Immersive Sim right now. 

Well that’s good, I guess. But if the Redfall people are still around then my hopes won’t be high. 

3 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

Well that’s good, I guess. But if the Redfall people are still around then my hopes won’t be high. 

Arkane Austin was the Redfall team. Most of the Prey team had already left because the development for Redfall was so horrible. 

1 minute ago, BigBossBalrog said:

Arkane Austin was the Redfall team. Most of the Prey team had already left because the development for Redfall was so horrible. 

Huh. Well then it sounds like the real loss happened years ago, then.

4 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

Huh. Well then it sounds like the real loss happened years ago, then.

I still won't celebrate ANOTHER immersive sim studio's closure, even if there last game sucked XD

3 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

I still won't celebrate ANOTHER immersive sim studio's closure, even if there last game sucked XD

I don’t just want immersive sims. I want good immersive sims. Though I’m not celebrating their closure; I’m mostly indifferent.

2 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

I don’t just want immersive sims. I want good immersive sims. Though I’m not celebrating their closure; I’m mostly indifferent.

Crazy thing is THEY DIDN"T WANT TO MAKE IT XD Zenimax forced them because they wanted to get on the looter shooter craze, and they had sunk so much time and money into it, Microsoft decided to continue development. 

1 minute ago, BigBossBalrog said:

Crazy thing is THEY DIDN"T WANT TO MAKE IT XD Zenimax forced them because they wanted to get on the looter shooter craze, and they had sunk so much time and money into it, Microsoft decided to continue development. 

I’d assume that much of that pushback came from the Prey devs who quit. That’s the part which I do consider a shame, though they were good enough that I can see them finding places elsewhere. 

7 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

Oh and they cancelled all further updates and DLC (that people already bought in the season pass) for Redfall :rofl: What a clusterfuck. They promised an offline mode which isn't happening anymore. 

So basically another game that will be rendered unplayable in several years. Should be illegal. 

5 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

So basically another game that will be rendered unplayable in several years. Should be illegal. 

Not that your missing much, but yeah, DMR and Always Online is just yet another thing killing the industry. 

• Like 1

Prime Video shooting a limited series Blade Runner 2099. The showrunner did Halo in 2022.

• Sad 1

"If you know me you know I don't keep up with the times. I just go with the flow." - Woody Copeland, life coach

2 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

Holy shit. I guess even Microsoft was tired of Bethesda's development cycle? 

There’s that, and there’s also the fact that they’ve seemingly realized the potential of cross-medium brands with Fallout’s success. The TV show caused player counts to skyrocket for all 3D Fallout games across the board. Microsoft probably realized that if they can time game launches and season releases close together, they can get some huge boosts. 

7 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

There’s that, and there’s also the fact that they’ve seemingly realized the potential of cross-medium brands with Fallout’s success. The TV show caused player counts to skyrocket for all 3D Fallout games across the board. Microsoft probably realized that if they can time game launches and season releases close together, they can get some huge boosts. 

I hope they make a Fallout Boomer shooter if we're getting spin-offs XD Or a reto horror throwback.