Roleplayer's Off Topic Thread #42

I was surprised to learn M. Night was behind it tbh, especially Unbreakable, had no idea and long since seen that movie same as you.

But yea honestly Split was a masterpiece, I thought it was that good. Dark as fuck and horrid, sad, but really really good and also well researched.

• Like 1

"Even the hardest dick must go flaccid." -Colonelkillabee

5 minutes ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

The only part of the ending I hated really was how easy you know who died. Only one, for me 

Reveal hidden contents

The Overseer lol

Yeah, that is what soured me towards the ending. I remember mostly liking the movie aside from that part. 

It’s not even that he died that bothered me. It’s kinda like Joel in TLoU2 where I expected him to die and was okay with it, but just hated how it happened. Really pathetic end for what turned out to be a surprisingly compelling character.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

I was surprised to learn M. Night was behind it tbh, especially Unbreakable, had no idea and long since seen that movie same as you.

But yea honestly Split was a masterpiece, I thought it was that good. Dark as fuck and horrid, sad, but really really good and also well researched.

The only other people I know who watched it are my brother and, funnily enough, a neurologist friend. I guess it was indeed well researched because she really liked it and didn’t complain to me about inaccuracies like I’m sure she would’ve had it been done badly. XD 

• Like 1

Do keep in mind that Nyarlathotep in some fiction is the entity responsible for handing nuclear technology to humanity. The setting of the whole fallout universe can be a grand plan of the crawling chaos itself.

x)

Just now, ColonelKillaBee said:

If i join the fallout rp, it will be as Nyarlathotep lolol

How a chemmed-up wastelander who’s taken too many radscorpion stings to the head and sometimes thinks he’s Nyarlathotep? XD 

And other times he’s Hamlet. And others, President Eden. Maybe occasionally a protectron robot.

Just now, BigBossBalrog said:

Fallout is being filled with enough Lovecraft elements Colonel! Todd dosen't need your help to add more XD

Screw it, turn Fallout into Call of Cthulhu. Nyarlathotep started the Great War and Caesar turned evil when he saw the color out of space. Wouldn’t make it any worse at this point. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, The Good Doctor said:

Screw it, turn Fallout into Call of Cthulhu. Nyarlathotep started the Great War and Caesar turned evil when he saw the color out of space. Wouldn’t make it any worse at this point. 

I think it actually makes more sense then Vault Tech XD

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

He sounds like a nerd lmao

Sounds like a Czar impersonation xD 

Nyarly is kinda of a nerd; many of his masks are evil academics posing as university professors XD 

14 hours ago, The Good Doctor said:

neurologist friend. I guess it was indeed well researched because she really liked it and didn’t complain to me about inaccuracies like I’m sure she would’ve had it been done badly. XD 

We were talking last night so I asked her about this. I guess I should backtrack because she does have complaints about inaccuracies, but it made for a better movie so it gets a pass. XD Just treat it like a fictional "Super DID" and it works fine.

7 hours ago, The Good Doctor said:

We were talking last night so I asked her about this. I guess I should backtrack because she does have complaints about inaccuracies, but it made for a better movie so it gets a pass. XD Just treat it like a fictional "Super DID" and it works fine.

Well it’s highly debated even now and poorly researched. What you’re referring to as super DID might be more common than we think depending. The thick skin and super strength and climbing walls seems far fetched, thick skin I’ll give you, but the rock climbing and wall climbing, and super strength, easily within the realm of possibility with adrenaline and also just the mind taking limits off our muscles for better or worse.

Definitely plausible with a mental illness like this too. If you consider crazy shit like one personality needing diabetes and another not, that’s been documented too. Neurologist I’m not but medical professionals and psychologists are still divided over the topic

So what’s funny is, we kinda gave @BigBossBalrog a hard time over his persona stuff for Lorgar but this movie makes this idea and him much cooler 

She’s had some DID patients and spent a fair amount of time studying the condition, but unfortunately never had any that were particularly exciting. Hopes to someday.

1 hour ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

thick skin and super strength and climbing walls seems far fetched,

I believe that’s primarily what she was referring to. The way his "Beast" personality took it from a medical condition to a super power. I don’t recall his strength being beyond what a human could potentially do at their limits, but it’s been a while since I’ve seen it and same for her. 

1 hour ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

Definitely plausible with a mental illness like this too.

Plausible isn’t the word I’d use. Whole point of the movie is that it’s exceptional.

6 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

Plausible isn’t the word I’d use. Whole point of the movie is that it’s exceptional.

Plausible is an appropriate word, because Im referring to the idea that multiple personalities could have such drastic differences, and that these are all within the realm of possibility.

Its softer than saying possible, imo, but about the same thing. All of it is exceptional already because its such a rare condition. The movie is exploring extraordinary claims of DID but we really actually don't know what is common or extraordinary, for said condition.

Assuming that most would just be normal stuff, some cross dressing here n there, some stuck at adolescence etc really isnt something we can do until its more thoroughly discussed. 

For instance for all we know a very ordinary individual under the right circumstances could become a track star, we really have no idea.

edit: we can disagree on the word usage, I dont want a semantics argument over this really.

6 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

I believe that’s primarily what she was referring to. The way his "Beast" personality took it from a medical condition to a super power. I don’t recall his strength being beyond what a human could potentially do at their limits, but it’s been a while since I’ve seen it and same for her. 

His super power isnt that crazy tho, nothing he did was especially crazy, which to me is the point of this series. Its not like Xmen, his super strength is about the same as extreme cases of people either under duress via adrenaline, and/or as he said himself, strong men back in the day.

They kept it within the limits of what the human body is capable of under the right conditions. Even his premonitions, depending on which studies you believe about human mental capacity.

30 minutes ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

Assuming that most would just be normal stuff, some cross dressing here n there, some stuck at adolescence etc really isnt something we can do until its more thoroughly discussed. 

I mean, it’s not a newly discovered or unstudied condition. And not even that rare in the grand scheme of neurological conditions (not to say it isn’t rare, but it’s not like a 1 in a million thing). There are thousands of documented cases, and while some can get pretty wild, a case where a person turns into something like "the Beast", a crazy cannibal with super powers (or near enough), would certainly be an extreme outlier, if it’s ever happened  at all. But that’s why the movie is fun; it takes a real condition and combines it with an absolute human extreme. 

37 minutes ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

If there was ever a "low fantasy" version of superheroes this would be it, and probably the lowest of the low fantasy category basically.

Of course. XD You don’t need to convince me of the movie’s premise. I know and like it quite a bit, even wish we’d gotten more of it. You’ve honestly made me want to go back and rewatch.