Roleplayer's Off Topic Thread #42

Does the timeline not support that Nate could be in that cinematic? 

edit- He is apparently walking it back on X, saying that they discussed that being Nate during the design phase but your idea of Nate is still canon.

Whatever. I'm still pissed they made Nora a lawyer. I started writing a fanfiction story about Nate and Nora, with Nora as CIA agent and robotics patent lawyer was her cover. I didn't get very far, was just trying to not hate the character.

• Like 1

"If you know me you know I don't keep up with the times. I just go with the flow." - Woody Copeland, life coach

2 hours ago, Celan said:

Does the timeline not support that Nate could be in that cinematic? 

Nah, it works fine as far as I know. But it would’ve felt real gimmicky and key-jangly. 

The bigger problem for me would’ve been that making Nate not just a soldier, but a confirmed war criminal would’ve been a frustrating choice in an RPG where you’re supposed to build your own character.

Granted, Fallout 4 has that problem anyway. But it would’ve just been one more log on the burn pile.

2 hours ago, Celan said:

Whatever. I'm still pissed they made Nora a lawyer. I started writing a fanfiction story about Nate and Nora, with Nora as CIA agent and robotics patent lawyer was her cover. I didn't get very far, was just trying to not hate the character.

Agreed. Why force us to play as a lawyer or a soldier when neither thing is remotely relevant to the game anyway?

After playing Pillars, I think every serious RPG should adopt something similar to that game’s system. Let us choose our background and occupation. 

1 minute ago, The Good Doctor said:

Nah, it works fine as far as I know. But it would’ve felt real gimmicky and key-jangly. 

The bigger problem for me would’ve been that making Nate not just a soldier, but a confirmed war criminal would’ve been a frustrating choice in an RPG where you’re supposed to build your own character.

Granted, Fallout 4 has that problem anyway. But it would’ve just been one more log on the burn pile.

Yeah people on social media are upset about golden boy Nate being a war criminal. XD 

• Haha 2

"If you know me you know I don't keep up with the times. I just go with the flow." - Woody Copeland, life coach

52 minutes ago, Celan said:

Yeah people on social media are upset about golden boy Nate being a war criminal. XD 

My Nate is a war criminal. In my old headcanon, he’s the one holding the gun. How dare Emil switch him to being the one who just stands and watches like a coward! :P 

But I prefer it to be because I played him that way rather than it being a preset backstory. Though yeah, since Fallout 4 saddles us with a preset backstory anyway, I suppose just adding "war criminal" to the list wouldn’t really change much in principle besides making him a little more interesting. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

I heard the new fallout show was actually good xD

I'm probably the one here that enjoyed it the most. I'm really not bothered by the dumbass stuff. It was entertaining and had some cool nostalgia.

• Like 1

If the fallout show is truly considered “canon” and its world building and events are used for fallout 5 then I’m not playing fallout 5. Literally everything I love gets shit on nowadays. Star Wars is trash, I’m getting divorced, Elder Scrolls is just an mmo with bad graphics and awful mechanics now and TES 6 will likely be awful. Fallout was all I had left and now it’s a flaming pile of dogshit. 

• Like 1

Fuck:dntknw:

9 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

Here's a little bit of positivity the games are sky rocketing in players right now thanks to the show. Alot of new fans coming in I guess. 

https://www.windowscentral.com/gaming/xbox/fallout-franchise-sees-player-count-resurgence-across-all-games-thanks-to-sales-promotions-and-an-excellent-tv-series

Oh yay, more casual fans to encourage Bethesda to keep doing what they are doing 🙄

• Like 1

Fuck:dntknw:

46 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

Alot of new fans coming in I guess.

New fans have been the bane of this series. XD 

Let’s be real. None will play 1 or 2 and I doubt many will get into NV either. The show isn’t made for those audiences.

The shows for me are never a canon continuation anyway. I didn’t watch witcher thinking that. Just enjoy the show for what it is lol you’re never gonna get a direct perfect adaptation lol, as long as it nails the feel of the game and is fun to watch, honestly that’s a win. Besides, the show has to be different or else most wouldn’t be interested in what would basically be a live action lord video. 

im exaggerating a bit but I’m also biased cause Penguinz loved it and he’s usually right about these sorts of things lol

"Even the hardest dick must go flaccid." -Colonelkillabee

5 minutes ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

The shows for me are never a canon continuation anyway. I didn’t watch witcher thinking that. Just enjoy the show for what it is lol you’re never gonna get a direct perfect adaptation lol, as long as it nails the feel of the game and is fun to watch, honestly that’s a win. Besides, the show has to be different or else most wouldn’t be interested in what would basically be a live action lord video. 

im exaggerating a bit but I’m also biased cause Penguinz loved it and he’s usually right about these sorts of things lol

Bethesda is saying it is XD

Just now, ColonelKillaBee said:

The shows for me are never a canon continuation anyway. I didn’t watch witcher thinking that

The Witcher show was explicitly its own continuity. The Fallout show is confirmed by the devs to be the same one as the games. Fallout 5 and onward will recognize its events as canon.

Way I see it, the show can be fun if you don’t care much about the setting, but it absolutely shits all over basically everything not made by Bethesda. I care a lot, so by the end I fucking hated it. 

4 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

Bethesda is saying it is XD

Meh I’m in the camp that doesn’t honestly care tbh. Unless they go to the Mojave again lol it’s whatever. And even then it was never gonna be a satisfying continuation to anyone.

It is probably a huge deal to someone like doc who keeps up with the lore of the much older games, so FNV isn’t old to those fans but it feels like forever to me.

Not that it changes anything but fir me it softens the blow.

Mr House goes from a major dick to a mega dick, like alright. There’s still mutants and stuff right. And vaults. Cool

"Even the hardest dick must go flaccid." -Colonelkillabee