Roleplayer's Off Topic Thread #42

Emil is saying on Twitter that FNV is still canon, so it must be that the sign that says Shady Sands "fell" in 2277 means it metaphorically, or it was an error in the show. Maybe they meant 2287 which would put it shortly after FNV and before the show. But yeah, it seems the NCR is no more, at least as an organized entity. It makes Chief Hanlon a true prophet.

I'm on episode 3. You guys weren't kidding about the yodeling. XD

• Haha 1

"If you know me you know I don't keep up with the times. I just go with the flow." - Woody Copeland, life coach

6 minutes ago, Celan said:

Hide contents

Emil is saying on Twitter that FNV is still canon, so it must be that the sign that says Shady Sands "fell" in 2277 means it metaphorically, or it was an error in the show. Maybe they meant 2287 which would put it shortly after FNV and before the show. But yeah, it seems the NCR is no more, at least as an organized entity. It makes Chief Hanlon a true prophet.

Yeah, it has to be an error, but frankly, having made it to the end now, I still cannot see a way for this show to coexist in a timeline with New Vegas or even the first two games. 

10 minutes ago, Celan said:

It makes Chief Hanlon a true prophet.

To be honest, I think it’s giving this show far too much credit to say that it is depicting the future Hanlon predicted. His fears of NCR’s collapse were grounded in some semblance of realism. What we got instead was a big boom followed by the entire faction being deleted from existence in a handful of years. 

What’s funny is that even Ulysses was of the belief that just nuking the NCR’s capital wouldn’t even nearly be enough to stop its expansion in the long run. That’s why he planned to target the supply lines and cut it off from Vegas to give Caesar’s Legion a chance to do them in instead. 

Having read all the spoiler tags, I'm fucking pissed.

It feels like Todd was half ass reminded of some of the in-game predictions that the NCR was teetering towards an eventual collapse under their own weight.

I mean, a show with good writing could be really damn good showing this. NCR is overextended, politically in a terrible state, and there's a looming massive water shortage all by the time of New Vegas. Push forward maybe a decade and show them reeling from all of these issues.

Their cities and population have grown too large to support themselves, the water crisis beyond the breaking point with maybe some droughts thrown in and that alone can be a massive destabilizing point.

Instead we just get "Muh NCR nuked and gone, muh back to Fallout 3 progress."

I wonder how they'll depict Arroyo :rock:

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, TheCzarsHussar said:

Having read all the spoiler tags, I'm fucking pissed.

Reveal hidden contents

It feels like Todd was half ass reminded of some of the in-game predictions that the NCR was teetering towards an eventual collapse under their own weight.

I mean, a show with good writing could be really damn good showing this. NCR is overextended, politically in a terrible state, and there's a looming massive water shortage all by the time of New Vegas. Push forward maybe a decade and show them reeling from all of these issues.

Their cities and population have grown too large to support themselves, the water crisis beyond the breaking point with maybe some droughts thrown in and that alone can be a massive destabilizing point.

Instead we just get "Muh NCR nuked and gone, muh back to Fallout 3 progress."

I wonder how they'll depict Arroyo :rock:

Since you’re reading spoilers, I didn’t get into the ending. It gets way, way worse.

The Great War was not started by China or even America. It was the leaders of Vault Tec conspiring with with other major elites including Mr. Fucking. House.

That’s right. Mr. House is responsible for the Great War. I shit you not. He (and Fredrick Sinclair for some fucking reason) sits in a shadowy room with a dozen or so elites and they all decide together that they should destroy the world so they can rebuild it into one under their control because "muh capitalism".

Then, 200+ years later, Vaul-Tec does it again and nukes the NCR into oblivion because a big nation forming up in California was never part of their super evil master plan. And yes, Vault-Tec is still active and seemingly not the Enclave?

Basically every major storyline and theme behind the entire series is just set on fire in a single scene. 

• Sad 1

Which unintentionally makes Mr. House

An absolute dipshit. In New Vegas, the fact that he accurately predicted the Great War down to just a day was a sign of his brilliance.

But now, he literally helped start the thing. He wasn’t a genius who survived through extreme preparation, but rather a comically inept supervillain who failed to be ready in time for a plan that he helped make, and nearly died as a result. 

• Sad 1

11 minutes ago, TheCzarsHussar said:

W
H
A
T

!

Reveal hidden contents

Nope, nope nuh uh not comitting any of that information into memory. Through one ear and out the other nope. Didn't read a thing. Man Fallout Nuka Break was a nice fan series huh?

One last thing. It’s literally the final shot of the season.

New Vegas is in ruins. Whole city looks destroyed and desolate. No explanations why as of now, but there is a crashed NCR vertibird in the street among the wreckage. 

So essentially, all non-Bethesda Fallout has been removed from the picture.  

Just now, BigBossBalrog said:

If the STALKER fanbase got wind of an adaption doing these kinds of retcons, there'd be riots in Moscow, Kherson, and Warsaw XD While all Fallout fans do is whine on reddit...

Hey now!

I do my whining here. XD 

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Celan said:

All frustrations and jokes aside, the music, both licensed and original, was mostly on-point. The yodeling is comically excessive in the first few episodes XD but it doesn’t last. Otherwise, the and their placement is damn good and elevates a lot of scenes.

Without spoiling, Walton Goggins as "the Ghoul" was, predictably, the best character by far, and eventually became the source of nearly all my investment. 

The vault dweller, Lucy, was alright too. She has some good development and is pretty likable as far as protagonists go.

The Brotherhood character, Maximus, was my least favorite of the mains by a considerable margin. I wanted to like him, but he is honestly just too despicable, and not in a fun " :AdVictoriam:" sort of way like you’d hope from a BoS protagonist.

Lucy’s midget brother Norm is low-key one of the better ones. Almost by default, though, as I hated almost everyone else in Vault 33 and he was the only non-idiot there after Lucy left.

@Celan I know we’re both fans of the Ghoul, but what do you think of Lucy and Maximus so far? 

For my money, I thought Lucy was a decent enough character. Had a good arc, a well-defined personality, and I like that she had to face and overcome some legitimate struggles along the way.

I wanted to like Maximus. But he ended up being one of my least favorite characters. Just not much redeemable about him.

22 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

@Celan I know we’re both fans of the Ghoul, but what do you think of Lucy and Maximus so far? 

For my money, I thought Lucy was a decent enough character. Had a good arc, a well-defined personality, and I like that she had to face and overcome some legitimate struggles along the way.

I wanted to like Maximus. But he ended up being one of my least favorite characters. Just not much redeemable about him.

About the same. I think Lucy is a good protagonist and has a pretty cool "player character" arc. Maximus' storyline is my least favorite also. The weird cultish stuff is annoying and he just takes odd psychopathic turns without seeming like a true wastelander. The characterization is off.

• Like 2

"If you know me you know I don't keep up with the times. I just go with the flow." - Woody Copeland, life coach

39 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

Anyone want to hop on Discord here in about 30 minutes?

I could- but I don't have the channel.

I finished the series. It's... very Bethesda.

+ Great production values

+ Cooper and Lucy are both great characters and had an excellent arc. So did Dogmeat. XD 

+ Zany, humorous, as gory as Fallout should be. Had some good moments. I loved the DJ, for instance.

- The main story sucks.

- Precise on the smallest details, fast and loose with the big ones. Come on guys.

- The cultish aspects of the Brotherhood were dumb but I expect it's a case of this one chapter?

- Vault Tec's manager vault is in New Vegas??

- The romance with Maximus and Lucy... no. She can do better.

• Like 1