Roleplayer's Off Topic Thread #42

2 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

Saw two episodes tonight. This show is scattershot as hell. It’s fun, but like really stupid fun. Production quality is great, but the writing is pretty bad. All those 9/10s are way over the mark. There was a lot to laugh at, though. XD 

Predictably, Walton Goggins as "The Ghoul" is by far the best part. Main BoS character is a bitch and the vault girl is hit-or-miss.

Lore-related spoilers:

Reveal hidden contents

Looks like the BoS very much won in Fallout 4 and are basically running things from the Commonwealth now. 

Crossing the continent is treated like a casual thing for them now, which is pretty bizarre, and the whole East/West divide is not even acknowledged. But the show hasn’t done much to explain anything so far. Maybe that will change.

Enclave are apparently still a thing too, somehow… 

The weirdest part is that the NCR is just nonexistent. They are definitely in California, but these two episodes at least make zero acknowledgement of the NCR ever being a thing and all the wastelanders come across as deranged weirdos with no concept of civilization. 

I was going to say, for better or worst, I think they nailed the zanny fusion of 60's era B Movie, with cheesy Max Max Apocalypse the Bethesda games so love perfectly, with a flavor of western.  

Not my favorite version of Fallout by far, but I still enjoy it XD At least it seems more Fallout 3 then Fallout 4. 

3 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

Me and Doc spent the last two hours laughing our asses off XD

The endless yodeling every time the Ghoul moves deserves to be a meme. :rofl:  That was funnier than every joke combined, and I have no idea if it was intended to be funny or not. 

6 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

At least it seems more Fallout 3 then Fallout 4. 

It’s basically Fallout 3 mixed with the worst parts of Fallout 2.

One thing’s for certain. Bethesda writers definitely helped with this one. XD 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, The Good Doctor said:

It’s basically Fallout 3 mixed with the worst parts of Fallout 2.

One thing’s for certain. Bethesda writers definitely helped with this one. XD 

XD Could have been worse though. Much worse.

2 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

Jury’s still out, to be honest. XD Half of my enjoyment came from laughing at it. 

I didn't know half of the time if I doing that or laughing with it XD Some of that yodeling has to be intentional

Just now, BigBossBalrog said:

I didn't know half of the time if I doing that or laughing with it XD Some of that yodeling has to be intentional

I’m just saying, if I get through a Fallout show and the most entertaining part was yodeling, I’m gonna call it an L. XD 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

I’m just saying, if I get through a Fallout show and the most entertaining part was yodeling, I’m gonna call it an L. XD 

An immortal zombie cowboy who sleeps in a coffin and has insane gunslinger skills with YODELING is a W XD

• Haha 1

I watched one episode, it's quite entertaining with lots of callbacks to the games but not over the top.

If House ending and BoS Fallout 4 ending are canon, I feel pretty proud of myself for getting it right. XD 

I thought the cultish aspects of this BoS group were interesting. Is that a callback to Fallout 1/2?

It doesn't take itself too seriously which I think is a good thing.

"If you know me you know I don't keep up with the times. I just go with the flow." - Woody Copeland, life coach

I’ve been simping hard as fuck so I haven’t gotten to watch any fallout so please please please spoiler tag EVERYTHING.

as for how I will be going into it: I’m expecting to be disappointed, but I’m keeping an open mind

• Haha 1

Fuck:dntknw:

2 hours ago, Celan said:

I watched one episode, it's quite entertaining with lots of callbacks to the games but not over the top.

Reveal hidden contents

If House ending and BoS Fallout 4 ending are canon, I feel pretty proud of myself for getting it right. XD 

I thought the cultish aspects of this BoS group were interesting. Is that a callback to Fallout 1/2?

It doesn't take itself too seriously which I think is a good thing.

They say at one point that the High Elders (or something like that) of the Commonwealth have sent orders, so it sounds like at the very least, they didn’t get destroyed in Fallout 4 and went on to establish themselves there permanently. 

The BoS were barely in Fallout 2. They had a slightly "religious/monkish" vibe in Fallout 1, but the cultish aspects were far more played up in this show than in any of the games.

The Fallout subreddits seem to think

the show is Bethesda invalidating New Vegas and establishing the BoS as “the” faction. They are up in arms about it. I might sympathize but most of them see the BoS as “fash” so their opinion is invalidated

XD 

I thought it was cute that Lucy establishes her SPECIAL scores at the beginning.

"If you know me you know I don't keep up with the times. I just go with the flow." - Woody Copeland, life coach

45 minutes ago, Celan said:

The Fallout subreddits seem to think

Reveal hidden contents

the show is Bethesda invalidating New Vegas and establishing the BoS as “the” faction. They are up in arms about it. I might sympathize but most of them see the BoS as “fash” so their opinion is invalidated

XD 

I thought it was cute that Lucy establishes her SPECIAL scores at the beginning.

I haven’t seen anything to suggest that yet but I’m only on episode 3. Granted, the worldbuilding is very sparse and kinda confusing given that this is supposed to be part of the games’ continuity.

California is the most developed and fleshed-out region in Fallout by far, with detailed maps and lots of recognizable locations and groups. So it’s weird that after two episodes there hasn’t been any sign of it.

It feels like we could be in a random patch of wasteland in Texas and things would actually make more sense.

And yeah, the Fallout subreddits are cringey as hell. Especially regarding general sentiments on the BoS and Mr. House. XD 

I’m personally fine with them canonizing endings, long as they don’t make it boring. BoS winning Fallout 4 is definitely the most interesting outcome there so I’m fine with that.

Not sure if I believe the House rumors yet. Bethesda have been terrified to touch New Vegas for years. But I’ll be keeping an eye out. I’d be fine with that getting canonized too. It wouldn’t "invalidate" New Vegas if that were the case.

It’s raining hard today so I doubt I get any customers in. I’m gonna a watch some at work. XD 

Minor episode 4 spoilers. And new ghoul lore.

Funny, the near-feral ghoul they meet is startlingly similar to a character that I wrote for the RP but never got to the point of including. Even his role in the story is somewhat similar.

They’ve retconned ghouls again. Not a fan. Now apparently they all go feral and are constantly needing to take radiation drugs in order to stave off the process of losing their minds. Only ghouls with lots of money to afford them (like Goggins) can remain normal, which is pretty contradictory to all the downtrodden ghouls we see in the games. Seems a pointless thing to introduce just to invent artificial new stakes for our ghoul protagonist.

Hide contents

Funny, the near-feral ghoul they meet is startlingly similar to a character that I wrote for the RP but never got to the point of including. Even his role in the story is somewhat similar.

They’ve retconned ghouls again. Not a fan. Now apparently they all go feral and are constantly needing to take radiation drugs in order to stave off the process of losing their minds. Only ghouls with lots of money to afford them (like Goggins) can remain normal, which is pretty contradictory to all the downtrodden ghouls we see in the games. Seems a pointless thing to introduce just to invent artificial new stakes for our ghoul protagonist.

The actually makes him a bit more like a Hollow from Dark Souls :rofl:

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

Fallout 4 is getting a nextgen update with "free content" 

https://fallout.bethesda.net/en/article/4s2bXQEbpcrsdCZhUYLHAi/fallout-4-is-getting-free-updates?linkId=100000254670482

FO4_HEnclaveRemnants_0401_02.png

Makshift1a.png

There getting new creation club stuff, but there's apparently "other" new content too

Mod breaking is what Bethesda does these days.

Reveal hidden contents

Do they establish that it’s all ghouls? The interpretation I have seen is that Goggins’ ghoul is an addict and just thinks he needs drugs to remain non-feral.

Just now, BigBossBalrog said:

Even with retcons, is the show still maintaining its batshit funnery? 

Episode 3 and 4 weren’t nearly as funny as the first two. The yodeling is gone, but I think the new "unintentionally funny" thing for me is what an absolute piece of shit Maximus is, but not in ways that seem intended. XD 

• Haha 1