Roleplayer’s Off Topic Thread #2

2 minutes ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

Yeah, couldn’t find anything either.  Usually where I fail, you pick up the slack lol, so there probably isn’t much of anything there yet. 

Honestly, the daedra were so different back then, I wouldn’t be surprised if it was as simple as Bethesda randomly assigning some as enemies to make daedric politics look “complex” but then abandoned or forgot about many of these rivalries later on when they fleshed the Princes out and gave them more interesting motivations.

Just now, The Good Doctor said:

Honestly, the daedra were so different back then, I wouldn’t be surprised if it was as simple as Bethesda randomly assigning some as enemies to make daedric politics look “complex” but then abandoned or forgot about many of these rivalries later on when they fleshed the Princes out and gave them more interesting motivations.

I thought that too lol, but didn’t want to say that just because I didn’t know the answer.

But since you said it too lol, it’s all good.

• Like 1

"Even the hardest dick must go flaccid." -Colonelkillabee

Just now, ColonelKillaBee said:

Apparently Boethiah and Molag Bal being enemies is a Morrowind thing since that’s not listed. Makes sense, the idea of why they’re opposed, or at least my theory as to why is based on MK lore.

On a mechanical level, Morrowind would probably have them listed as enemies because the characters in question who are part of these factions were Ashlanders or blasphemers who supported a member of the House of Troubles. In the context of Dunmer culture, there is no question that those two would be enemies. 

1 minute ago, The Good Doctor said:

On a mechanical level, Morrowind would probably have them listed as enemies because the characters in question who are part of these factions were Ashlanders or blasphemers who supported a member of the House of Troubles. In the context of Dunmer culture, there is no question that those two would be enemies. 

True though that also includes Sheogorath who is no enemy of Boethiah. Being the sithis shaped hole and all

4 minutes ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

True though that also includes Sheogorath who is no enemy of Boethiah. Being the sithis shaped hole and all

That doesn’t really matter though if the reputation information is based on the beliefs of their followers. Even if Sheogorath isn’t actually an enemy of Boethiah, he considered an antagonist god by her Dunmer followers in Morrowind.

11 minutes ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

Also no one has to hold any daedra’s sphere. Besides, his overlaps with Boethiah’s pretty well which makes sense due to his relation to Lorkhan when he was the leaper demon king.

I was just thinking about this. Boethiah and Mehrunes Dagon aren’t ever really related to one another in the games, but their spheres go hand in hand. She slits the king’s throat, and he raises the countryside in bloody rebellion.

Despite being up there with Molag Bal in terms of what most mortals would consider the “evil daedra” Boethiah and Mehrunes would probably be his most natural enemies of the whole bunch. His sphere is control and domination while they oppose authority.

7 minutes ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

If indeed. I’m not sure what to make of that page, it states Sheogorath for instance in Daggerfall had no enemies or allies and wasn’t associated with Oblivion.

I guess they hadn’t thought up the Sixteen Accords of Madness yet. XD 

It also has the Temple of Stendarr allied with Boethiah. Fucking Bretons man. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

Alright, so I scoured the fucking internet for this. Read through pages of Daggerfall dialogue excerpts on UESP and the Imperial Library, searched all the relevant books I could find, and even got desperate and asked some people on *shudders* Reddit... who played Daggerfall. 

Nothing. The book I mentioned didn’t include the rivalries like I thought it did, and apparently nothing else does either. The only thing I was able to turn up was Daggerfall’s cross-faction reputation system, which was a janky mechanic that determined how NPC interacted and if they would fight when they encountered each other. It did indeed set followers of Mephala to treat to followers of Peryite as enemies, though there is no explanation in any of the games why this is.

That's what I figured it was, the game's reputation system, but I hadn't looked to find it because I honestly didn't think it was there to find. But super sleuth Doc :detective: can find anything! Thanks for digging that up, man.

But now it makes me want to see if there's any actual reason Peryite might dislike Boethiah and Mephala. Maybe he sees their respective plots and webs as potentially disruptive to the natural order? That's the only thing I can think of, though I don't know if that would be enough for them to be enemies. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BTCollins said:

But now it makes me want to see if there's any actual reason Peryite might dislike Boethiah and Mephala. Maybe he sees their respective plots and webs as potentially disruptive to the natural order? That's the only thing I can think of, though I don't know if that would be enough for them to be enemies. 

It might be noteworthy (probably not) that Mephala isn’t actually considered an enemy to Peryite’s faction. Her faction sees him as one, but it’s one-sided.

4 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

It also has the Temple of Stendarr allied with Boethiah. Fucking Bretons man. 

Hey, most of those temples in Daggerfall are in Hammerfell I'll have you know. It's the Redguards fault! Man, that faction system is really screwy lol

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, BTCollins said:

That's what I figured it was, the game's reputation system, but I hadn't looked to find it because I honestly didn't think it was there to find. But super sleuth Doc :detective: can find anything! Thanks for digging that up, man.

That’s a good guess actually. Especially if you put into account that Peryite is believed to be next in line to stand at the head of the mythic.

Boethiah’s aligned with the one who directly opposes that natural order, as is Mephala if Mephala really is the Night mother.

Sithis has close ties to Lorkhan. Very. As in they may be the same in a way.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BTCollins said:

Hey, most of those temples in Daggerfall are in Hammerfell I'll have you know. It's the Redguards fault! Man, that faction system is really screwy lol

That’s even weirder. Lol. I can see lots of Bretons jointly worshipping both daedra and divines. Especially before the crisis. But Redguards? XD not a chance.

9 minutes ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

That’s a good guess actually. Especially if you put into account that Peryite is believed to be next in line to stand at the head of the mythic.

Boethiah’s aligned with the one who directly opposes that natural order, as is Mephala if Mephala really is the Night mother.

Sithis has close ties to Lorkhan. Very. As in they may be the same in a way.

I don’t buy that he is next in line, personally. I think it’s a good theory, but with little pointing to it besides some coincidences. I’d go all in on Mephala being the Night Mother, though. That’s one of those theories that’s almost got too much pointing toward it to not be true. Hell, it’s even talked about in the games.

As for Sithis and Lorkhan, indeed. I don’t believe they’re one and the same, but Lorkhan is very closely tied to him/it. Inspired, even. Speaking of, do y’all think the Crimson Scars would still exist? Imo they could be much a more interesting killer cult than the Dark Brotherhood.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

You're going to have to explain this one, though it sounds interesting.

1 hour ago, BTCollins said:

You're going to have to explain this one, though it sounds interesting.

Like Doc said it's really just based off of some coincidences, namely his being a dragon like Akatosh. Molag Bal was said to look something like a giant lobstered tentacle thing when he was the head of a kalpa, which Hermaeus Mora now is, so they think he may have followed behind him.

Tbh I didn't have much opinion one way or another on the theory, not enough to support it, not enough to discredit it.

But tied in with what we discussed today I do like the idea of his being against Lorkhan's groupies because it kills his chance to be anything but a bottomfeeder.

But again, not enough supporting evidence. 

• Thanks 1