Roleplayer's Off Topic Thread #39

I haven't played the early release. I did buy it. Should have a couple weekends before I start my master's program and won't have much time to play anything.

"If you know me you know I don't keep up with the times. I just go with the flow." - Woody Copeland, life coach

28 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

https://variety.com/2023/film/news/sag-aftra-independent-projects-waivers-1235673546/

Seems like Indie films are going to be alot more prominent. 

This is exactly what we were calling for. :lol: This dumbass strike will end up backfiring big time. In an effort between the established factions to consolidate power in Hollywood, they’re accidentally decentralizing it. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, The Good Doctor said:

This is exactly what we were calling for. :lol: This dumbass strike will end up backfiring big time. In an effort between the established factions to consolidate power in Hollywood, they’re accidentally decentralizing it. 

I doubt it'll collapse the whole Hollywood studios system; but I really think were going to see alot more options theb just Disney and it's three competitors XD 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BigBossBalrog said:

I doubt it'll collapse the whole Hollywood studios system; but I really think were going to see alot more options hen just Disney and it's three competitors XD 

I don’t think it will either, but it’ll hurt it really bad.

Some of these media corps were already suffering. Hell, Disney just recently started putting billion dollar assets up for sale, just like we were predicting last month. Executives have been fired. Even their theme parks -the one dependable revenue stream they had- are doing poorly.

And now, with all that crap already going on, they’ve suddenly gotta deal with at least a year’s worth of big movies getting canceled or delayed because the unions refuse to work. They’re screwed. XD 

I think the result of this will be a stronger independent sphere, a reduced position for the mega media corps, and a shift towards lower budget projects even from the big dogs. Execs won’t want to risk $200+ million on projects that are no longer guaranteed to profit.

7 hours ago, Celan said:

I haven't played the early release. I did buy it. Should have a couple weekends before I start my master's program and won't have much time to play anything.

Got ya. Well I'll make sure anything I post related to it is in spoiler tags for your sake. Best of luck on your masters!

1 hour ago, Elden Clown said:

Got ya. Well I'll make sure anything I post related to it is in spoiler tags for your sake. Best of luck on your masters!

I don't mind spoilers. It'll probably be a long time before I can finish the game.

Not as long as it's taken @The Good Doctor to play Cyberpunk, of course. XD 

• Haha 2

"If you know me you know I don't keep up with the times. I just go with the flow." - Woody Copeland, life coach

2 hours ago, Celan said:

I don't mind spoilers. It'll probably be a long time before I can finish the game.

Not as long as it's taken @The Good Doctor to play Cyberpunk, of course. XD 

2 hours ago, The Good Doctor said:

I’ll get to it! XD I’ve beaten the prologue twice. It’s just such a big game that it feels daunting to jump back into every time I step away. 

Honestly i'm right there with him.

@Celan @TheCzarsHussar I’m curious, what race/nation/background did y’all make for your Watchers in Pillars of Eternity? And did you use that background to influence how you roleplayed the character?

My cipher was an Aedyran constable who tried to keep the peace in a colonial settlement but moved on after things went badly. Little patience for criminals or mob rule (which puts him at odds with House Doemenel and the Dozens), and makes liberal use of Caed Nua’s dungeons. XD Being from Aedyr, I made him weary of animancy and a supporter of its strict regulation. Though the severity of Waidwen’s Legacy has made him conclude that its practice in the Dyrwood probably shouldn’t be done away with altogether.

Soon as I saw that you could pivot the "mercenary" background into a constable, I jumped on that. Wanted to make a sort of fantasy "Seth Bullock/Wyatt Earp" type of hero. And I like to RP that his then-meager cipher abilities would’ve been controversially used for investigative purposes, and only become powerful enough for offensive use after his Awakening.

5 hours ago, The Good Doctor said:

@Celan @TheCzarsHussar I’m curious, what race/nation/background did y’all make for your Watchers in Pillars of Eternity? And did you use that background to influence how you roleplayed the character?

Hide contents

My cipher was an Aedyran constable who tried to keep the peace in a colonial settlement but moved on after things went badly. Little patience for criminals or mob rule (which puts him at odds with House Doemenel and the Dozens), and makes liberal use of Caed Nua’s dungeons. XD Being from Aedyr, I made him weary of animancy and a supporter of its strict regulation. Though the severity of Waidwen’s Legacy has made him conclude that its practice in the Dyrwood probably shouldn’t be done away with altogether.

Soon as I saw that you could pivot the "mercenary" background into a constable, I jumped on that. Wanted to make a sort of fantasy "Seth Bullock/Wyatt Earp" type of hero. And I like to RP that his then-meager cipher abilities would’ve been controversially used for investigative purposes.

I played a Godlike druid. I don't remember if I gave her a background. Her back story is basically what I wrote in my fanfiction stories. I had her from the frozen north and wavering between following the nature god vs. the northern god of entropy.

In PoE1, she really was godlike, gameplay wise. Then in PoE2, they not only nerfed the druid spells, they gave you an animal companion but your spellcraft was tied to the animal. So as I recall, every fight went like this: 1. Cast weak spell, 2. Pet dies and my spellcraft gets nerfed even further 3. Wait for spells to recharge 4. Fight is over before the next recharge. It wasn't fun at all. Though they did give you more class based dialogue.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Celan said:

I played a Godlike druid. I don't remember if I gave her a background. Her back story is basically what I wrote in my fanfiction stories. I had her from the frozen north and wavering between following the nature god vs. the northern god of entropy.

Rymrgand seems like a cool god to base a character around. Lot of RP potential there. Do you remember which type of godlike she was?

My Watcher sees Woedica as his matron. Fits his Aedyr background and him being a former lawman. But the events of the main quest obviously change his perspective on her quite a bit.

8 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

Rymrgand seems like a cool god to base a character around. Lot of RP potential there. Do you remember which type of godlike she was?

My Watcher sees Woedica as his matron. Fits his Aedyr background and him being a former lawman. But the events of the main quest obviously change his perspective on her quite a bit.

I had to go with Nature godlike since there wasn't an Ice godlike.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

liar-star-wars.gif

They got it backwards. Andor is probably the only Disney show that is paying them their fair share because it’s the only one where the writers and actors have actually earned it. XD I don’t know what the others are getting, but it’s probably more than they deserve.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

Production apparently stopped when they had only a couple weeks left of shoots :( Hopefully it can get back on track

I’ve listened to some interviews with the showrunner and he seems like a cut above most these types. When production of season 1 got delayed due to the lockdowns, he used the extra time to redraft and tighten up his scripts. I’m sure when the strike ends, things will resume pretty smoothly for Andor. Probably more so than most other projects.

That said, Andor just barely missing its chance to avoid getting delayed due to that crybaby WGA snitch is pretty much the only thing to come out of this strike that I didn’t like.

But ah well. I take solace knowing that said crybaby is in for a bad and unrewarding next few months. Enjoy flipping burgers, hack. XD