Roleplayer's Off Topic Thread #39

15 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

This is where we differ. When I come to power, NASA is going to be fourth in line for the chopping block.

To each their own, NASA was a big part of my life growing up and I'll always smile seeing the good ol meatball, Worm logo was mid. Visiting the space center last year is gonna to be a highlight for a long time. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Elden Clown said:

Visiting the space center last year is gonna to be a highlight for a long time. 

The one in Mobile? I spent about a week there 15 years ago or so. Stayed on site. The cafeteria food sucked, so like a "true" astronaut I subsisted mostly on crackers and slim jims. Still, it’s a neat place for sure.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The Good Doctor said:

The one in Mobile? I spent about a week there 15 years ago or so. Stayed on site. The cafeteria food sucked, so like a "true" astronaut I subsisted mostly on crackers and slim jims. Still, it’s a neat place for sure.

One in Florida. The main one.

22 hours ago, Elden Clown said:

Real time would not felt good for quite a few reasons with how 5e DnD is though imo. Mainly being the one action system and the movement speed being such a huge factor. Sure could just work around or real time would just drop those being a worry but then it wouldn't be 5e Dnd So respect to Larian for keeping it true.
With that said Pillars is the only game that I've played so far that does real time well enough. In the isometric RPG genre any ways.

The Pathfinder games are based on D & D rulesets, though I believe it was an earlier one.

"If you know me you know I don't keep up with the times. I just go with the flow." - Woody Copeland, life coach

Speaking of Tabletop adaptions I gave Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines a recent playthrough; hadn't touched it in a long time. Did a deep dive and played every inch of the game Really insane how much the game world can change based on your origins, and how damn immersive it is...

Until to my heartbreak, the game devolves into really bad combat heavy shooter/beat em up once you enter the final third, that pretty much drops all the horror tension, intelligent writing, and choices for some of the worst designed boss fights and dungeons I've ever seen XD Such a damn shame but man is the third act bad. Very definition of a flawed gem. 

I played with the unofficial patch; which not only fixes the thousands of bugs the game shipped with, it reconstructs hundreds of cut aspects the devs didn't have time to fully implement before they shipped it (including cut quests and quest options) and while it really enriches the good parts of the game...they barely touch the shitty closing sections XD

What was wrong with the third act? I remember it being awesome the whole way through, though admittedly the best atmosphere was the haunted mansion, the anarch stuff and those fucking sewers which were really long and terrifying but good. I had to suck on a lot of rats.

I absolutely loved the ending. It was exactly what I wanted. A gem of a game.

What kindred did you play @BigBossBalrog? I play Tremere and I can't seem to get away from it.

• Like 1

"If you know me you know I don't keep up with the times. I just go with the flow." - Woody Copeland, life coach

24 minutes ago, Celan said:

What was wrong with the third act? I remember it being awesome the whole way through, though admittedly the best atmosphere was the haunted mansion, the anarch stuff and those fucking sewers which were really long and terrifying but good. I had to suck on a lot of rats.

I absolutely loved the ending. It was exactly what I wanted. A gem of a game.

What kindred did you play @BigBossBalrog? I play Tremere and I can't seem to get away from it.

When you have to do the Opium Den with the crazy Triads armed with flame crossbows that can two shot you and you have to fight like a hundred of them XD And then you fight the Chinese Vampire girl, and she turns into the Cthulhu Monster; in which follows is a super annoying and way overtuned fight (statistically she has almost triple the amount of HP as the next strongest boss) 

I built my character around stealth and diplomacy and the game provides ample room to get past every encounter in the game in that style, until you reach the final couple of missions and then it pretty much becomes a non stop combat encounter with barely any interactions. (The last great mission was the one in the park when your running from the Werewolf. Absolutely terrifying) 

I went Toreador cause I initially wanted to rock the the "rich elitist charmer Vampire" but I ended up with high humanity and respect amongst my fellows XD 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BigBossBalrog said:

When you have to do the Opium Den with the crazy Triads armed with flame crossbows that can two shot you and you have to fight like a hundred of them XD And then you fight the Chinese Vampire girl, and she turns into the Cthulhu Monster; in which follows is a super annoying and way overtuned fight (statistically she has almost triple the amount of HP as the next strongest boss) 

I built my character around stealth and diplomacy and the game provides ample room to get past every encounter in the game in that style, until you reach the final couple of missions and then it pretty much becomes a non stop combat encounter with barely any interactions. (The last great mission was the one in the park when your running from the Werewolf. Absolutely terrifying) 

I went Toreador cause I initially wanted to rock the the "rich elitist charmer Vampire" but I ended up with high humanity and respect amongst my fellows XD 

Yeah the boss fights are tough. I don't remember the opium den as particularly tough but by end game, Tremere is godly as long as you have human victims around to thaumaturge. Those idiot mafiosos kept running in providing me with an adequate supply of blood batteries. XD 

13 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

Also speaking of video games based on tabletop RPGs, I’ve been playing Cyberpunk again, @Celan.

Did as many gigs as I could today, amassed a small fortune, and then bought as much cyberware from the ripperdoc as I could. I had no idea what a game changer the boosted jump would be. 

I can't really play without it, as I said. 

On my female V I also get the gorilla arms (lol). I don't like the idea of V getting her arms cut off for cyberware, but it's too useful for a reflex/ tech build to open doors and stuff. My male V is spec'ed to melee so he can beat people to death without the help.

• Like 1

@The Good Doctor I was watching my brother play Starfield when I was visiting his place and I was paying attention to the armor sets in particular. The aesthetic choices...are mixed in my opinion XD I think it's cool (and consistence) for what it is, but there's a ton of bulky space suits. There's one piece that really caught me eye though

1280-1694126262-448013786.jpeg

The UC Antixeno (Real subtle Beth) It's hardcore as fuck XD Apparently you get it in a big sidequest that's just a homage to Aliens. 

• Like 1

Real NASA space suits aren't that sexy, either.

I have to admit that my own company's design is a bit Sta Puf Marshmallow Man.

The Artemis suits are sexier:

axiom_axemu_full.jpg?itok=R9otc3Ho

48 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

Case in point, the Onion Knights are comedic relief. XD

Just like the Catarina set, I'll bet you a big ass bulky suit like that offers good protection.

Astronauts in orbit are going at an insanely fast speed, debris are going at like 16k mph too and are a huge danger. It's retarded looking, but practical

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TheCzarsHussar said:

Just like the Catarina set, I'll bet you a big ass bulky suit like that offers good protection.

Astronauts in orbit are going at an insanely fast speed, debris are going at like 16k mph too and are a huge danger. It's retarded looking, but practical

Thank you! 
Can just imagine a Spacex astronaut tripping on a moonrock and dying because their power ranger suit got a tear.

Edited by Elden Clown
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Elden Clown said:

Thank you! 
Can just imagine a Spacex astronaut tripping on a moonrock and dying because their power ranger suit got a tear.

The sleek suits are only for launches and landings, when they're strapped in. Not a hardsuit used for moonwalks or anything.

14 hours ago, Centurion said:

Joined the Freestar rangers today. Almost finished with the quest line but it’s pretty fun. It’s very much a spaghetti space western quest line and it’s been pretty engaging and fun

Just reached Akila an hour or so myself, beautiful place. Just here to pick up chunks sauce and head back to the Sol System though. Did talk to to the dudes behind the door with persuasion and got to them to chill. Persuasion has felt really good in Starfield, having that chance to fail makes it feel so much better and fair instead of broken. 

On 9/8/2023 at 7:04 PM, Celan said:

I just don't have time or patience to do combat by spreadsheet. XD I don't mind spreadsheety inventory management or level ups, but I like those things and combat is just a thing I have to do.

It’s not spreadsheety at all and is pretty simple tbh, most of the more stat heavy stuff you can choose to ignore. The point of it being based off of d and d but a video game was to make it less spreadsheety and more like for people like you and I…. If you think you hate spreadsheets I loathe them lol 

the game handles all that, I just smack stuff really hard. And push people off ledges. And throw them. Lol

You get out what you put in. Tho I am fine with turn based, I grew up on turn based games.

"Even the hardest dick must go flaccid." -Colonelkillabee

I couldn't get past the tutorial in DOS, either. It's all good, I just don't enjoy that style of play. I want to get on with it, not spend an entire gaming session on one battle.