Roleplayer's Off Topic Thread #39

There’s not a sense of urgency until the end of the story. There’s no grave existential threat to beat. It’s a very personal journey with choices and consequences. And contrary to Balrog’s uninformed spoiler post the other day, it’s not a “chosen one” story. It’s very much a hero’s journey, however it is about a self-made “hero” instead of fate. I don’t know how to go into it more without major spoilers. And man, playing it without it being spoiled really left an impacted. I doubt it would be as awe inspiring if I knew what was going to happen prior

• Like 2

Fuck:dntknw:

7 minutes ago, Centurion said:

There’s not a sense of urgency until the end of the story. There’s no grave existential threat to beat. It’s a very personal journey with choices and consequences. And contrary to Balrog’s uninformed spoiler post the other day, it’s not a “chosen one” story. It’s very much a hero’s journey, however it is about a self-made “hero” instead of fate. I don’t know how to go into it more without major spoilers. And man, playing it without it being spoiled really left an impacted. I doubt it would be as awe inspiring if I knew what was going to happen prior

Wonder how my space pirate character will turn out in the end. 

On 9/6/2023 at 4:04 PM, The Good Doctor said:

Even if the writing, world, and factions are all great, this is definitely not a game I’d care to own merch from. The looks of all the armors, ships, etc. just don’t do it for me at all.

That’s my main issue really. Nothing from it thus far that I’ve seen makes me go oo I would wear that or oh I want a funko pop of this, lol like my Ciri Chibi.

If I was a more serious gamer maybe I’d get a game pass or sum to play it cause I’m not paying 80-100 dollars for a game when bg3 was 60 bucks unless it hits all the check marks for me

I can’t even look at a design from the game and go oh that’s starfield so unless I had abundant time and was bored I wouldn’t buy this.

• Like 1

"Even the hardest dick must go flaccid." -Colonelkillabee

2 hours ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

That’s my main issue really. Nothing from it thus far that I’ve seen makes me go oo I would wear that or oh I want a funko pop of this, lol like my Ciri Chibi.

If I was a more serious gamer maybe I’d get a game pass or sum to play it cause I’m not paying 80-100 dollars for a game when bg3 was 60 bucks unless it hits all the check marks for me

I can’t even look at a design from the game and go oh that’s starfield so unless I had abundant time and was bored I wouldn’t buy this.

That’s fair. I wasn’t really vibing with the design of the ships and armor and stuff until I got into the game and I actually enjoy the game for the game so the design elements are growing on me. Especially the look of a Deimos Gladius (ship). 

and I get were y’all are coming from because I have zero interest in bg3 even I’ve heard nothing but good shit about it. I just don’t like the gameplay and I can’t really sit through a game when playing it is a drag. Kinda why I take 2 years breaks from ESO after playing for like a week, or why I occasionally like year or so will jump back into Fallout 1&2 but I don’t continually go back to them. I do think however, that if you have the opportunity (like a friends loans you a disk version, or gamepass etc) to give Starfield a try, do it. I was skeptical and jaded going in, but I’m on my second (1st true) playthrough now and I’m having a blast

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Centurion said:

and I get were y’all are coming from because I have zero interest in bg3 even I’ve heard nothing but good shit about it.

The fact that such a huge plurality of the early discourse surrounding BG3 boiled down to "you can screw everyone lolz even the bear!" actually kinda deflated my interest in it. That, and it having such colossal mass appeal, which I don’t generally see as a good sign for the uniqueness of a game.

But Larian have clearly gone above and beyond in lots of ways, and that does deserve to be rewarded, so I’m glad it’s doing well. And I’ll definitely give it a chance when it comes to Xbox (probably in 2024 XD), but the hype surrounding it doesn’t really seem to be for the same reasons that I personally get hyped for a game.

Starfield is at a bigger disadvantage with me because I’m already tired of "outer space" fiction and how it seems to make up like 90% of sci-fi. But at least it sounds like Bethesda have worked on improving in areas were they usually lack, like RPG mechanics, story pacing, and dialogue. That’s a huge plus.

Speaking of, with Starfield’s release, I guess it’s safe to assume that Beth are in the process of switching the bulk of their development efforts over to TES VI now. Wonder how long it’ll be before we get more than a picture of a beach to speculate on.

To be fair that’s the same for me @The Good Doctor lol

only reason I even got bg3 was because a friend of mine gave me her free code cause I wasn’t gonna get it for a good while despite loving divinity original sin.

So perhaps centurion is right and I’ll love it when I play. Will see probs after I upgrade my pc this year and play cyberpunk

"Even the hardest dick must go flaccid." -Colonelkillabee

2 hours ago, The Good Doctor said:

@Centurion As a BoS fan, are there any factions in Starfield that you liked as much as them?

I haven’t delved into the factions yet. I’ve seen them from a distance but that’s it so far. I speed blasted the story on the first playthrough to avoid spoilers, now I’m gonna hit the side content

3 hours ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

If I knew that bg3 was as good as it is, I’d have bought it day one, is dragon age origins on crack

And just as addicting lol

I wish they had done what Owlcat and Obsidian did, which was to make a toggle for turn based vs real time combat.

• Like 1

"If you know me you know I don't keep up with the times. I just go with the flow." - Woody Copeland, life coach

11 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

I used to vastly prefer turn based, but Pillars has spoiled me on how good real time with pause can actually be.

I just don't have time or patience to do combat by spreadsheet. XD I don't mind spreadsheety inventory management or level ups, but I like those things and combat is just a thing I have to do.

"If you know me you know I don't keep up with the times. I just go with the flow." - Woody Copeland, life coach

Real time would not felt good for quite a few reasons with how 5e DnD is though imo. Mainly being the one action system and the movement speed being such a huge factor. Sure could just work around or real time would just drop those being a worry but then it wouldn't be 5e Dnd So respect to Larian for keeping it true.
With that said Pillars is the only game that I've played so far that does real time well enough. In the isometric RPG genre any ways.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

If I knew that bg3 was as good as it is, I’d have bought it day one, is dragon age origins on crack

And just as addicting lol

Addicting? Nah, it's not like someone could drop a few hundred hours in just a week or so. Totally not.
*Sweats in profile picture*

• Haha 3

Just now, The Good Doctor said:

Hold up. That’s over three weeks of playtime. How?? :rofl: 

In all seriousness early access hours is some of it as well.
But I also meant to type a couple weeks or so.
The most truthful answer though...I forgot what the sun was some days, the moon others and in general what time itself meant, the game is some good shit XD
Don't have a job atm, not in the position to be able to get one (long story)
So I have a lot of free time at the moment. Can only make the house so clean. Been wanting to work on some youtube vids but I just don't know where to start. 

So something about Starfield I wanna say that I love and will give Bethesda to. 
I grabbed a side quest maybe an hour and a half to two hours in. I am now a little over 15 hours in and am still doing that same quest line. I'm not sure if it classifies as one or multiple quests atm but it has felt like one cohesive long ass quest and I love it. I've got multiple other quests waiting to do but this one actually feels like it's important and has some urgency to it, more than the MSQ itself, partly because I haven't touched it really but like yeah I could go look for that thing but I'm a bit busy trying to save multiple cities, hundreds to thousands if not more people from death and I won't say more because I don't want to spoil the quest. 
The aesthetic for me personally is top tier, NASA is my favorite corp in today's age that isn't gaming company or something. I've always loved Astronomy and the science related to it. So everything being grounded in reality* with the NASA twist hits a note for me that no other space game has. The applies to the armors and regular clothes to as well to a degree, I FUCKING LOVE THE SUITS. The weapons I'd say give me more of a fallout and oddly COD: Advanced warfare vibe XD but hey the guns were probably the best thing about that game. 
I haven't got into the ship customization past colors but it seems daunting in a good way because of how much you can do it seems. I'm also broke because I keep forgetting to sell things and have been struggling for storage on my ship and person the whole time so I can't afford to upgrade my ship. 
The game is expansive and while I was worried about the empty spaces and some other things I'd say outside of optimization Bethesda did great and it's been really fun. I look forward to seeing what modders pull off next year after getting the CK (BGS confirmed it'll be out for them next year)
Really want to see what they can pull off with all the empty space, see what they do with Earth and whatnot. One person is already starting to work on what they can do make space travel fully free so you can do some Star Citizen type travel so I'll be keeping an eye on that one, hope the CK makes it possible. 
Load screens are so fast on an nvme they really don't matter, they did good on at least loading optimization. 
I think this is my longest post on the forum ever, :duelbow:

• Like 1